jPoint sight on Glock Pistols

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GreenBeret1631, Mar 20, 2005.

1. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

How many people have mounted jPoint "red dot" sights on their Glock or other pistols. Are you happy with them? Did you use a G'smith to install?

How many Glock users even know about the jPoint?

http://www.jprifles.com/Jpoint.shtml

2. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

My wife has the Tacso Optima (same thing) on her Glock24c. Have had it on the gun for over 4years and it works well and have never had a problem. It has the larger dot (7) instead of the standard 4.
    Doctor makes one that is more money but better construction and more robust.
    Works fine as a sight for a fun gun but for carry/defense gun we stick with a good set of night sights.
    I had a gunsmith put it on, as I was having some other work done at the same time on other guns and figured it was faster and easier for him to do it.
    Like any optical sight it takes some time getting use to the fact the the dot sets higher that you iron sights do.

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Jpoints are awesome, but insanely overpriced for what they really are.

4. gator378

gator378 Gator378

I have two now. Work great. Work in almost all light conditions. Faster than open sights. Can easily hit targets at 50 yards and a little beyond with the G20. I have tri-focals at my age and have a hard time with regular sights, but no problem with jpoint. No problems with relibablity yet. Battery life is in years. After about three years or so I am going to replace the battery. (My first was actually the Tasco, the second the Jpoint).

They are definitely faster and more accurate than open sights. Probably going to see more in the future. Just look at the M-16s in Iraq, almost all have a optical sight of some sort. Eventually will work its way down to hanguns

5. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

Yeah! I thought they were pretty pricy too! ;)

6. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

For that kind of money, the Docter sight from PMC is a better value. Glass and metal instead of plastic.
    I had an Optima that crapped out after two weeks, got a free replacement that crapped out after two weeks, threw it away. Later I heard the new ones were improved, but the word had spread and no one was buying anymore.
    The J-Point is a revival of the improved Optima.
    This is the real deal;
    http://www.docteropticsusa.com/doctersight.php
    More expensive, but a better value.

7. gator378

gator378 Gator378

The Docter Sight may be a better value, but trying to get answers to questions from PMC was impossible. As far as I can tell, no humans inhabit PMC Corporaton or Docter Optics.

JPoint people on the other hand are available to answer questions and or resolve problems.

Another point, the Docter Sight is about 1/2 ounce heavier than the JPoint and has a larger footprint. This may or may not be important.

Also, I could never get an answer from anyone on what kind of mount PMC/Docter has for the Glock.

I haven't any problems yet with either the optima or Jpoint.

In fact, I never any answer to any question from PMC.

8. MCKNBRD

MCKNBRD

So which one is better? I'm not in the market for one (just yet!), but I'm looking at a G34 by the end of the year, and I think I'd rather put it on there.

As far as mounting, is it something the average shooter can do, or would I have to invest $$$ in a gunsmith for it?

thx-
    Byrdman

9. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

10. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

How difficult is it to adjust windage and elevation on these sights? Can you just insert the appropriately sized screwdriver and "click, click, click" as needed, or is it more complicated than that?

11. dport

dport

I have a FirePoint and it came with an allen wrench and a dial, for lack of a better term. You line up the marks on the dial with a reference, like the side of the sight, and you turn the allen wrench. The FirePoint, I can't speak to the JPoint or the Dr. Optic, doesn't have positive click adjustments.

12. gator378

gator378 Gator378

The Jpoint and Dr Sight adjust the same way. Use an allen wrench to adjust the allen screw which moves the diode up/down or right/left. Very simple and almost like a rifle scope.

When I adjust mine, I use the mount set screws to get a close left/right adjustment then finish up with the Allen screw.

The minor difference between the Jpoint and a rifle scope is that with Jpoint/Dr is that if the groups shoots say to the right, you move the sight to the right. Fortunately they come with "marker dials" and it is easy to do.

With a Jpoint/Dr sight you now have a 50 meter pistol. I put the Jpoint on the Glock 21 (45) and could get smaller groups at 25 yds than at 12 with open sights and hit the 50 yd gongs 5 out of 5 times

13. truemtn

truemtn

I have a TASCO Optima (same as Jpoint) on my Glock 34. I used a Caldwell HAMMR to sight it in. My aim has improved immensely. I love to shoot and I love it more when I can hit what I aim at. My wife gave me the hoo haw for putting a red dot sight on my Glock but she never misses a chance to shoot the Glock when we go to the range.

14. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I used them for several years back it was called the Firepoint around 97. Good product and easy to mount.

15. Bill Bond

Bill Bond blissaphobia

I had one and was easy to mount on a G17 by myself.

I just don't like red dots, so I sold it.

:thumbsup: