JPoint on a Gen 4 MOS Tip

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by NineseveN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

Since the JPoints don't ship with mounting screws and the MOS plates don't account specifically for the JPoint anyway, I thought I'd share what I did to make it work (I searched and couldn't find the info before I figured it out). MOS plate #4 (Leupold DeltaPoint) + an M4 x 8mm socket cap screw ground down to about 7mm with a file or sandpaper will do the trick. An M4 x 7mm socket cap would work as well I suppose but most hardware stores seem to not carry those. M4 x 6mm is too short (it will hook up but you only get a small amount of thread contact and it's better IMHO to go with an 8mm length and grind it down some). I got mine from Home Depot but Lowes should have them as well. Cost me 65 cents for both screws and about 10 minutes of my time with a file grinding them both down.

Just thought I'd share. Good luck. It's a pretty solid setup.

Attached Files:

Mr Meeseeks and boilergonzo like this.
  2. Dr glock19

Dr glock19

Nice, someone on google will thank you lol I did the same thing at home depot to my rmr but I used Phillips head in a worst case scenario I don't have to find a Allen wrench,it doesn't look as clean but its my edc I dont care what it looks like

apmcdaniel and NineseveN like this.

3. Dr glock19

Dr glock19

4. Chowser

Chowser

How do you like the Jpoint so far? I’m thinking of getting one with their low profile mount. Also what sights do you have?

Right now I have Ameriglo Suppressor Height sights.

I didn’t like the RMR and was hoping for something smaller.

5. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

The socket caps are cleaner but you're right, on an EDC or any gun that is more for go than show, what does it matter? No one is going to see that part but you anyway. :)

Dr glock19 likes this.
  6. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

Chowser,

That was my issue with the Vortex and RMR, too bulky on an EDC. I think the JPoint is the cat's meow personally. I run the 4 MOA dot and I think it's about the right size for overall shooting. It's always on and ready to roll. Change batteries every 6 months and you're golden. I have a JPoint on 2 Glocks, my EDC G19 MOS and my backup G17 that has a slide machined by Primary Machine specifically for the JPoint. The machined slide mounts the JPoint lower than the MOS (no mounting plate) and actually, it's about where the low profile mount would have it so check the pics. The first 2 are of the G19 MOS, the second 2 are of the G17.

If you're already running suppressor height sights, don't bother with the low profile mount IMHO. The mount can be iffy in terms of being available (it ships from Shield in the UK, they make a metal version of the JPoint and both need to come across the big pond so to speak) and you get a great co-witness with suppressor height sights. I'm running Dawson suppressor height sights (black on black) on the G19 MOS and Hackathorn Ameriglo regular height night sights on the G17. Honestly, the low pro mount is more than the Dawson suppressor height sights in terms of cost which is why I went that route. I guess if you're wed to a specific set of normal height sights the low profile mount makes more sense.

Image(1).png
    Image.png
    Image-1.jpg
    Image(1).jpg

Chowser likes this.
  7. Chowser

Chowser

Thanks for the info and pics! I have the gen4 35 mos with a 357sig and 9mm barrels. I was using it suppressed with the suppressor height sights but plan on using it only as a 357 since I got the 19X in. I will need to dig out my 35 box and see if I have mount 4 in there before I hit the hardware store. :)

And I do have plate #4!!!

Now do I want to get it refinished to match the slide? Maybe not.

[​IMG]

NineseveN likes this.
  8. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

Sweet! I personally wouldn't bother refinishing the plate since the optic and sights are still black anyway.

Nice blaster, btw.

9. Chowser

Chowser

Thanks. Ordered the sight today. Time to hit the hardware store.

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I had a JPoint on my G19 MOS for awhile but now it sports a Shield RMS (same sight in aluminum instead of polymer). The mounting plate that you can get from JPoint Industries makes for a much cleaner and lower install than the Glock MOS plate plus it comes with the proper screws.

IMG_20180310_111251665.jpg
    IMG_20180409_205408412[6902].jpg

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

6Actual and NineseveN like this.
  11. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

The JP/Shield LP mount is definitely way cleaner. I like the Shield sight too, nice to have that battery tray on the side. Still, I was going to run suppressor sights on it anyway in anticipation for a can and the Joint was a bit less expensive for me. Thought hard about the Shield sight though. Nice gun.

happyguy likes this.
  12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I never had a single problem with the JPoint and I carried it for 9 - 12 months. It is now a backup sight on an AR.

After I finish building my AR pistol my next project will be an MP Shield 2.0 with the Shield RMSc. I really like the JPoint/Shield sights for a carry gun. The auto brightness works so well it's almost spooky. I have never understood the reasoning for a manual brightness control on a carry gun. Who is going to have time to go from holster to target and stop in the middle of the presentation to adjust the dot? And with the 8 MOA dot I can shoot well even without my glasses.

I still have the original battery in my JPoint and it's been about 18 months I think.

They are just neat little sights. :thumbsup:

IMG_20180409_205507717[6906].jpg

IMG_20180409_205418516[6904].jpg IMG_20180409_205428486[6903].jpg

Edit: Sorry for the terrible cell phone pic. The sights are a 10-8 rear that is made specifically for the MOS. It is a little taller than normal glock sights. The front sight is an Ameriglo ProGlo that I think is .220 tall. They are not quite as tall as regular supressor sights but they are substantially taller than stock sights and give a perfect cowitness with the Shield RMS/Low Profile Mount combo.

I highly recommend this combo if you are not planning to run a suppressor...come to think about it, it might be just tall enough for certain suppressors...hmmmm...

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    NineseveN likes this.
  13. Chowser

Chowser

Will these work if I shave them down to 7mm?

[​IMG]

14. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

Chowser,

That's exactly what I used. Use a file or some sandpaper on a block. It'll take about 5-7 minutes overall for each, but I went slow and checked several times. I seated them in to the MOS plate off of the gun and then use my driver's license to scrape along the bottom until I felt no edges or bumps.

Chowser likes this.
  15. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

Happyguy,

I have similar sights on my 17 (standard height though) and while I like the front dot (green with orange ring) it gets wasted on a gun with a red dot on it. It feels a lot less cluttered when aiming and transitioning targets with the black on black front/rear combo, for me anyway. I love the setup like you have on a gun with no RDS though. It's all personal preference and various degrees of contingency planning (i.e. some like a tritium dot up front in case the RDS dies in dim light, but I have a weapon light so black on black is cleaner and for me, better overall when the RDS is running). I went with suppressor height sights because the Dawsons were less expensive and easier to get than the low profile mount. I like the shield though and I think the JPoint/Shield sight is outstanding and just about perfect. Like you said, the auto brightness is scary good and I like the fact that it's always on and not reliant on a switch (that's a liability IMHO) or some motion-sensing doodad that could fail like with the Leupold (awesome sight though). The JPoint is, I think, lighter than the shield slightly too but I think it's hard to go wrong with either.

I like the 4 MOA dot as with my eyes, without my glasses the dot blooms to probably close to 6-8 MOA anyway and the only time I'd be without corrected vision would be when sleeping and being awoken by bumps in the night. 6-8 MOA is great for house-distance shooting but I do like the 4 MOA dot when I have my contacts in or glasses on.

Cheers!

happyguy likes this.
  16. Dannyi

Dannyi

Ok guys just installed my Shield on G19 MOS, and ready to go sight in. I’ve shot red dots on rifles before, but on pistol with Shield, what is the typical alignment of dot in optic window to sight in, middle of window or low center? Thanks for assistance. Installed the Shield Mini RMS.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  17. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

That depends on if you have suppressor height sights or not. If you do, then you can co-witness and your dot should line up with the front sight when in alignment with the rear notch. If you don’t have taller sights, the alignment of your dot is a little more flexible. I don’t like mine in the lower 1/3 position on a handgun so I sight in independent of the sights (since I can’t really get a proper co-witness going)...in that case, I get it about where it would be if I did have taller sights to keep things relatively consistent between guns with and without.

18. Dannyi

Dannyi

Not suppresser sights, standard Glock sights that came with G19MOS. That’s one reason I purchased Shield, also larger window. I easily see the factory sights in window, but was wondering should dot be just above regular sights? Like this pic.
    [​IMG]

19. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

I have the Same setup on mine, me likey much!

happyguy likes this.
  20. Dannyi

Dannyi

Yessir can’t wait to go sight & shoot tomorrow. Trick with the M4-7mm screws worked great. Filed off some to seat correctly using the #4 plate that came with Glock.