Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW.

Been looking to buy a minivan for the last three weeks. A LOT of junk out there, and of course every owner will tell you 'Nope, no accidents, runs great, just like new, no leaks', and then when you show up, it has an off-color sliding door (repainted/replaced) and a banged-in bumper, and the engine and underside are a greasy mess. Let's not forget the saggy headliner, mandatory on every single one. Kids in their family? Expect the carpeting to be trashed from spills, with all sorts of candy stuck to it, garbage in the back. Usually the owners are emotionally attached and have it priced way over market value, because theirs is SPECIAL, and they refuse to budge at all. Again and again I went out to look at minivans, was shocked that a few were even for sale instead of heading for the junkyard.

Then there are the things you DON'T see, like front bumpers that look TOO new...in fact, not even a single rock chip and they're 100K+ mileage vehicles. Impossible to drive a vehicle that much and keep it absolutely perfect. I asked when they got it back from the shop before I walked away. Even the headlights were crystal clear with no wind scratching and no yellowing at all. Easy to see they had been replaced. Made me wonder what other damage could be underneath, if they hit something so hard they needed the front clip replaced? I always check the hood and door lines (spacing between panels) to make sure it's even all the way down. Most shops can't get those factory-perfect when they get replaced. On to the next one...and the next one...and the next one...

FINALLY found one, senior owned (the BEST to buy from, younger generation doesn't care about their vehicles), not too high on the mileage, my favorite outer color (all original paint, light ice blue) and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN dark gray interior, no headliner separation, power everything with the exact motor size I was looking for. Dry underneath. They were flexible a bit on the price, in the end I probably still paid about $300 too much, but I wasn't going to walk over that, it was in excellent condition. Best I had seen in weeks. Spent this morning detailing it. Ready to road trip now.

I was really starting to give up hope, but being patient paid off.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You lost me at the "minivan" thing....
I know what you're saying...never thought I would be driving a minivan, but they rock! Of all the cars I've had in my life (20 cars, 4 motorcycles) I really like a minivan! Can put everything inside, no need to go out to access from a trunk, if I'm driving late at night and get tired, I can crash in the back (good for camping or saving hotel money on overnighters/road trips)

No one messes with ya on the road, either...they just go around...

·
Native Mainiac
23,882 Posts
I know what you're saying...never thought I would be driving a minivan, but they rock! .......

Sorry....it may be OK to think that in private, and blame your wife for driving the thing when questioned in public., but I would never post it on a public forum.

The internet is forever...

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
It's a well known economic phenomena:

Reactions: Deltic

·
Registered
43,659 Posts
Second only to the joys of selling a used car.

The time wasters and "experts" who want to point out every blemish that, if they weren't there, would make it have a new car price tag.

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
I know what you're saying...never thought I would be driving a minivan, but they rock! Of all the cars I've had in my life (20 cars, 4 motorcycles) I really like a minivan! Can put everything inside, no need to go out to access from a trunk, if I'm driving late at night and get tired, I can crash in the back (good for camping or saving hotel money on overnighters/road trips)

Hell yeah ... the Boogie Van!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0yavQjfAA

·
Registered
672 Posts
irks me when i'd see an ad for a used whatever, and it would say something like, "front end damage, easy fix"

well then, why don't they FIX IT, and make the price worth it?

they get all bent outta shape, when you try to knock off that extra $1,000 they wanted.

i pretty much gave up on looking at used cars, UNLESS it is a former lease car, with the remaining factory warranty.

with the prices some of those morons think thier precious baby is worth, a used car from a lease may be a better deal.

and no matter what, you get what you paid for.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The time wasters and "experts" who want to point out every blemish that, if they weren't there, would make it have a new car price tag.
That's not me! I like to see just the right amount of wear and tear...just the right amount of dirt on the engine (not steam cleaned, trying to hide leaks) and some wear on the outside, too.

·
Registered
672 Posts

which is why, i never sold any car/truck i had privately. i cannot deal with morons. trade'em in, done deal.

·
Registered
43,659 Posts
which is why, i never sold any car/truck i had privately. i cannot deal with morons. trade'em in, done deal.
I don’t enjoy it but the trade-in offer is often less than half the private sale value

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don’t enjoy it but the trade-in offer is often less than half the private sale value
yeah, i know i could have made more, but in general terms, i hate dealing with morons.

now the wife and i lease a car, so we have no one to deal with, regarding selling

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
A good friend is a dealer. The only used cars we buy are from him and they are only lease returns.

·
Registered
718 Posts

You're getting close to having your man card revoked!

·
Mentally Frozen
28,524 Posts
May as well get a station wagon.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Oh no! A looser cruiser! I hate them. My wife had 2. Couldn't stand to drive em. Now she has an expedition el(extra long) its got more room and looks a lot better. I can put a 4x8 piece of ply wood in it and it won't get rained on! Plus we can take it on the beach! That's the best part.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
No insult intended, BUT my experience with mini-vans on the road is that no one over an IQ of 80 owns one in regard to their driving skills. I have had numerous close calls, especially on my motorcycle, with these idiots. They are just as much a menace when I am in my car. Just my own experience. Glad you found a decent vehicle. Buying a used car is right up there with getting wisdom teeth pulled.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts