close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Joining up, artillery or aviation?

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Road Weazel, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Road Weazel

Road Weazel

If everything goes well I'll join the AZ Army Nat'l guard here real soon. My MOS is in mechanical support. If given the choice which would you choose, aviation (helos) or field artillery? I'm leaning toward the Helos myself.
    Thanx.
    Colin

2. ICC(SS)

ICC(SS)

There is not much call for field artillery in the Civilian world so my recommendation is Aircraft. It is all about what you can do with the training when you move on.

3. Road Weazel

Road Weazel

I'm prior service and my MOS is Generator Repair, not a lot of call for that either way. This isn't so much of a way to get training for a later career. It's a way of serving and setting something right that was left undone for the last 17 years.
    I'm thinking Helos also as I may want to switch to Air Nat'l Guard after my hitch is up.
    Plus, Apaches are cool ;z
    Thanx.
    Colin

4. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

If you like sleeping in the mud, go arty. Otherwise, go aviation.

Any decent aviation commander knows that you can always find a hard stand for maintenance. And a well-rested crew member is less likely to make a fatal error. Most see no need to make you deploy to the field just so you can prove to the crunchies that you’re macho, too.

I’ve seen Chinook units deploy to the field and bring generators, refrigerators, microwave ovens, TVs and VCRs. I’ve been in wh*re houses that weren’t as lavishly outfitted as their GP mediums.

5. MarkP

MarkP

go aviation .

Once upon a time -After a 5 day ftx: a squad of scouts were waiting at a secondary airfield for a ride back out for another 5 days in the wet mud.

So we're sitting outside heating up some ramen and the birds land on the tarmac .Crew walks past us and we could smell their freakin' deodorant - those boys were so ....clean.

They looked at us and thanked the Lord they weren't Infantry ...

;f

6. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Go aviation! I did my 1st three years as a gun bunny and although I miss certain aspects of it, there really is no call for it on the outside. I changed over to 25R back in 99 and I have a much better outlook after I get out than I would have in FA.

I'm the skinny dude on the far left

[​IMG]

7. KNEESINTHEBREEZ

KNEESINTHEBREEZ Got Silk?

AVIATION! By the way feetpiece, what is that in your photo, a 105?

8. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Infantry rules all the way! ;f

9. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

I never regret the day Sgt Abeta came to me, pointed to the Air Crew wqings on his chest and asked, "You want some of these?", and I said, Yes, Sarge, I do."

As a photographer I had a pretty good life, but those wings got me better food, air conditioning, and a lot more perks than the normal guys.

Course I got shot at a whole lot more than they did;f ;f

Aviation...

10. Tennessee Slim

[whispering] Pssssssstttt! ....Nestor ...that wasn't one of the choices! ;i

11. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Aviation. I started off as an 11C1P (Indirect-Fire Infantryman) myself. When I ETS'd out of the Active Army, I went to an Attack Helicopter Battalion. Huge difference!!

You are generally better taken care off in Aviation specially when deployed. You also don't have to walk as much since they prefer to fly or drive.

Good luck!!

12. Road Weazel

Road Weazel

I'm gonna leave work tommorow and go chat with them. I've been working with them over the phone for a while now but this'll be the first face-to-face. If I can get helos then I'll take'em. There seems to be three main types of units here in AZ, Field Arty, Aviation and Army Band. There's some MP's in there, too, but I'm neither a musician nor a cop so it looks like I'm in Arty or Aviation.
    Thanx again.
    Colin ;j

13. Tennessee Slim

BTW, Weez, them other services call 'em helos. In the army they're copters. And choppers are built in Milwaukee and ridden by guys with leather jackets and tattoos. ;)

14. magsnubby

magsnubby NRA LIFE MEMBER

Go aviation.

I still get the chills thinking about humpin' those damn 155 rounds.

15. MR. Fantastic

MR. Fantastic

You need to ask yourself, "why exactly am I joining the military?" If you really want to defend this great nation from the evils that threaten us then you should go with a combat arms MOS (arty) so you can be on the front lines actually "fighting" the enemy. If the thought of death and killing dosen't sit well with you then perhaps a job in the rear might beter suit you. If you're looking to begin a career in the aviation field you don't need to join the military to do that, you can start that as a civilian and get paid much better.

Perhaps this may help. When someone asks you "so what do/did you do in the Army?" Would you rather answer, I turned wrenches on aircraft just like the guys down at Sky Harbor, or would you rather say I trained on the front lines to destroy enemy positions, personell and repel his assult through indirect fire.

Food for thought: I spent 4 years in an infantry unit while serving with the Marines. While in Baghdad some of our objectives were to conduct patrols, gather information and prevent any uprisings. When it came time for us to leave Baghdad my unit was relieved by guess who? Yup, an Army Artillery unit. They don't just shoot big guns, arty units also perform grunt duties.

16. Tennessee Slim

Truth. Whether you're Army or USMC, everyone's primary MOS is 11 bang-bang.

17. RoyG

RoyG NSDQ

FYI:

The aviation branch in the Army is now considered an combat arms MOS.

If you are in an attack or air cav unit you are quite often operating well forward of any friendly troops.

Road Weazel: if you want some info on the Longbow unit in Marana pm me.

1-285th ATKHB

18. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Sorry about not getting back to you - yup thats a M119A1 105mm Howitzer... I miss that beast....

19. Road Weazel

Road Weazel

Quote "Perhaps this may help. When someone asks you "so what do/did you do in the Army?" Would you rather answer, I turned wrenches on aircraft just like the guys down at Sky Harbor, or would you rather say I trained on the front lines to destroy enemy positions, personell and repel his assult through indirect fire."

My motives have been documented in this thread and another one. I have a career as an educator, If I change MOS it'll probably be to machinist or armorer and it'll be for personal enrichment. I don't have to prove anything to anyone, I'm 37 years old fer gosh sakes. The last time I checked the military worked as a TEAM. HQ needs generators to run their satelite links and computers to give proper direction to Arty forces. Copter mechanics need to run welders to repair the birds so they can get back up to the front. If called upon to be an 11B I can and will do that, too. Everybody contributes to success. If even the equipment manager screws up the team can't win.
    I aim to be part of OUR TEAM, helpin to kick bad guy *** if called upon.
    'Weazel

20. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Road Weasel, while not all the Commissioned or Warrant Officers recognize it, the maintenance crews play a very important role in any aviation unit. I always made it a point to thank my guys for getting my aircrafts up and safely running. We could not do our job (flying) if the aricraft is stuck on the ground. Mechanics also have a direct hand at preventing mishaps from happening.

Maybe it's because I was a rethread (prior Enlisted), but I fully understood how good aircraft mechanics have a direct affect on an Aviation Unit's Operational Readiness. So much so that in my unit, we actually ordered our Aviators to pitch in and lend a hand when the situation calls for it.

We all have our roles in the scheme of things. Do what you want and not what people say you should be doing. Keep those aircraft up and running and you'll be just as much a hero as the guys who are flying them.

Good luck!!