close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Joining questions

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by all9justified, Apr 5, 2010.

1. all9justified

all9justified

What is the best advise to hear or know getting ready to go into the Coast Guard?

2. CGMK

CGMK

Dont sign up for a "guarenteed A-school". Be a non-rate for a while and then choose your career path. Go to sea and stay away from small stations.

3. Burien

Burien

Get in SOON! Pretty sure you will have a few months to 1 year wait to get into boot camp, but depending on where you join up, Go see / call a recruiter soon.. Today!

1-800-GET-USCG

I'm a Storekeeper and find it to be a great job if: you like working with people / numbers and have good customer service skills.

Good luck!

Call Call Call now!

4. Mush

Mush

You guys sound like Recruiters, Looking for some extra leave for signing some one up?

5. mazdaboi

mazdaboi

My buddy is a recruiter in southern va, and its closed for AD for the rest of this year, but Reserves are still open. Definitely don't go Guaranteed "A" School, take on a White or Black hull. See the rates, do some time, learn a bit then goto school. You get so much more respect when you do your time as a non rate, cause when you go right to school and come out (possibly) as a PO3.... your no where near experienced and mature enough. I did my 8 1/2 months as a non-rate before getting rated, and it paid off, now 7 years later i can see the difference in the youngins.

6. bwcritch

bwcritch

I am an AET and I think going to see for a short while is a good thing. I came in and went strait to A-School ( I am prior service, before to much gets said) I have been in for about 5 years now and I find that those who have spent a little time at sea have a better idea of how things work.

7. HoodRat

HoodRat

I just graduated Boot Camp on May 7th 2010, My first assignment is on a 270' as a non-rate. From what i hear the best path for a BM is to go straight to a cutter,the bigger the better before "A"-school. other rates im sure would be better is you strike them. As for what to do to get ready if you were interested, go to a recruiter, assuming you need to take the ASVAB, study a bit for it, the recruiter will have a study guide if u ask. Aviation ratings are like 1-1/2 to 2 year waits right now on a-schools, most all are 9-12 months AT THE LEAST unless its a critical rate which is movin pretty fast right now. Also get in good shape or at least get in better shape even if you are already in good shape. Boot camp is hard on your body, you may can do the PF test right now with all the rest you get, but after 4 weeks of getting beat it becomes a whole different ball game. It is most likely to be at least a year of paperwork and MEPS visits and waiting to go to Bootcamp. Active is getting harder and harder to get. While i was in bootcamp we were constantly being told we could quite at anytime just say when, because since the CG is so full right now they DON'T need you, they don't NEED me, or hundreds of others in the CG right now. I dont mean to discourage you, try if this is what you want but be prepared for some very serious mental games, it is physically challenging, but it is the second most mentally challenging Boot camp of the 5 services, second to the Marines. If you need more info ill get it to you as i can, just let me know.

SA Hood

8. hoven88

hoven88 Wannabe

Good luck getting in now.... no more active duty til 2011 like said before. I didn't go straight to A school, but if you can more power to ya. why not make Rank/more money as soon as you can? But that's just my $0.02...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. gadgetguy1288

gadgetguy1288 Coastie Tweet

I agree totally with avoiding Guaranteed A school. I grew up in Central FL, and went to a 110 out of Juneau AK as my first unit in September 08, and im in AET A school now. I loved the WPB life. Underway no more than 2 weeks and AK was absolutely incredible. Do your Non-rate time, Boot 3rds get a lot less respect than normal 3rds.

10. Josh82

Josh82 Semper Paratus

So I am just cleared for duty from MEPS and am 28 and going the Reserve route. If all goes to plan I will be joining PSU 313. But because of my age and degree, my recruiter said I would be going as an E3 anyway. I already know I am doing this to help my law enforcement career along. My question is, is there the same "hostility" from those that non rate in the beginning to those that go right to school, even in the Reserves?

11. CGMK

CGMK

I've noticed that the "hostility" is more concentrated toward those 18-20 year olds that go the boot to A-school route, then get stuck waiting out their 6 months [rated non-rate] time in grade to pin on 3rd class. Most of them just wanted to learn, be qualed to stand duty/crew, and be and be one of the guys; which they were for the most part. The ones that showed up and had the "I'm on the same level as you" attitude got their asses handed to them.

Story about that: We had a 19 year old kid from Texas show up at my unit. This unit was tight, we lived in hotel rooms, trailers, tents, and traveled sooo freaking much; we were all like brothers. He went boot to BM A school. He was the first new guy in about two years. Dude was dishonest and rolled on a few people to save his own bacon. His attitude was crappy, he was pretty timid, but he was motivated. He made Cox and the chief assigned me and two other completely "awesome" people to break him in. We ended up getting sent to Minne/St. Paul for the I-35W bridge collapse. We took over his boat and made him sit alone on the back deck for 8 hours a day... 12 days straight. His attitude did a 180 after that.

Reservest that were older, respectful, and had more life lessons, probably like you, were treated great. Most reservest are pretty squared away because they mostly have a sucessfull life or were prior service and do the reserves gig for retirement/benefits. It's all about how you want to be treated. Act like a "paycheck collector/lazy turd/dumbass" and you will be treated like one.

12. hoven88

hoven88 Wannabe

+1 totally agree with this. You will get the respect you show to others, reservist or AD. i work with a few reservist and the ones who give/deserve respect get it.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. hoven88

hoven88 Wannabe

BTW, has your recruiter talked to you about the direct commission program? if you have a degree ask about it!

14. Josh82

Josh82 Semper Paratus

@ CGMK = Thank you, thats what I needed to hear!

@ Hoven = No, I have not heard anything about the Direct Commission Program. Can you fill me in a bit in case someone else on here is curious as well, please?

Thanks everyone!

15. hoven88

hoven88 Wannabe

josh82, the direct commission program is where you have a college dgree already and instead of going in as an e-3, you go in as an O-1, an officer. You go to officer candidate school instead of boot camp and when you come out you are an ensign. ask about it! i don't know it it is only for AD or what, but it is an opportunity you should look into. BTW, was there a certain rate you are looking into going?

16. Josh82

Josh82 Semper Paratus

So I asked about the DCP and it requires a 4 year degree, I only have an associates and it's not even in line with any of the openings that D.C. would even approve of. But it was for sure worth asking about. And the rating I am going for is the Maritime Enforcement. I am looking for deployment unit with as much hands on and weapons experience as possible and PSU 313 I am told fits the bill.

17. hoven88

hoven88 Wannabe

gotcha, well it was definitely worth asking about. Good luck with ME, it sounds like a fun rate. a buddy of mine is graduating this week from ME a school and he love it! Good luck with boot camp man and welcome to the family.

18. bwcritch

bwcritch

Actualy that is closer to just OCS, Direct Commission you apply for a possition and if you get picked up for that possition then you fill it, paygrade and all, regardless of your current paygrade, and I believe in some cases they do not go to OCS. Take a doctor for example I believe they let them come in as an O-3 right now.