close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Joined to Local Gun CLub...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by modelflyer2003, Feb 4, 2010.

1. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

I joined the local gun club recently. There is an outdoor range and indoor range. I had my orientation to the outdoor, but needed to attend a monthly meeting to be approved for indoor, which costs more. I paid my money and sat quietly during the meeting and listened. It seemed like a bunch of older men thriving on strife and arguments. There was finger pointing (literally) and raised voices. There was an argument when one guy said that people should not be able to empty entire magazines rapidly. He said no one can hit the target every time when emptying that quickly. He finally relented that maybe 2% of the shooters. There was lots of arguing about holes in the ceiling being repaired only to find more the next day. I belong to other clubs but I have never seen that much arguing in a meeting. A physician friend of mine suggested I join and pay the extra for the indoor range. After meeting these guys I know these bitter old men aren’t his cup of tea either. Just a place to shoot. Makes sense to me why there are over 300 members and 10 showed up for the meeting.

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Had a similar situation some years ago when I joined a very prominent gun club with range in the D/FW metroplex. Paid $$$ (wasn't cheap) for my first year of dues, was promised a key to the range that never materialized. Finally went out there during a group shoot, finally found the rangemaster.

He was to busy to orient me... come back some other time. Went back twice, same deal. Finally managed to make it to a monthly 'business' meeting, hoping to find someone in charge. After listening to a couple hours of old farts wrangling and picking gnat **** out of pepper, I finally got a minute of time with the club president.

Orientation was a long list of don'ts, very few do's, plenty more 'dues' to pay for orientation. Still didn't get a key...

Went to a monthly combat competition, first timer. Was given a very lukewarm reception. After the first three scenarios, of which I was second highest scorer, lukewarm became cold. Rangemaster began to criticise my stance, method of presentation, method of tactical reload and then capped it all by grasping my weapon arm while I was in the process of moving from one station to another, saying that muzzle-high (pointed up) was NOT ALLOWED and only muzzle-low while moving. While there are pros and cons about muzzle high vs low, he actually grasped my arm while I was moving with a hot weapon, which to me is the biggest no-no in the universe.

I then unloaded, bagged my gear, and left without comment, never to return. I debated filing a complaint but decided it wasn't worth it. Stung a bit but I got over it. I don't think it had anything to do with being Latino. My own fault for not checvking these folks out, learning all the 'rules', and making some friends beforehand. I did find that my experience was fairly common there if the powers that be didn't think you were the right sort.

Point I am making is that before joining any gun club with facilities, be sure to visit, observe and get acqauinted before joining. Even though they were well equipped, the people I encountered sucked...

Ronaldo

3. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

Good advice. Luckily my experience was far better than yours. I called Monday for my range orientation and had it before the day was over, key in hand. After the Tuesday indoor orientation, had key in hand. Went shooting on Wednesday at the outdoor range. Had to clap my hands to scare the deer that were hanging out behind my target. Didn't want to accidently shoot the beautiful animals. You can see the hind end of one off to the left.
    [​IMG]

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

I have two shooting clubs within driving distance of my home. One is actually pretty close. It has indoor and outdoor facilities. After joining I found out the rules and realized I wasted my money. The indoor range is only open to the bullseye league. If you don't shoot on the league it's off limits. Even if you can make it on the weekly league night and qualify to shoot with them you have to use soft lead bullets with a maximum velocity of 850fps(no velocity cap for .22lr). I don't reload or own a .38 so I am DQ'd from indoor range. The outdoor range has so many club/group events that it is only available to members about 15-18 days a month assuming it's not raining. I decided to shoot a high power match with one of the CMP supplied Garands since I don't own a high-powered rifle. Upon contacting the officer's of the club I found that they were all missing along with the thousands of rounds of ammo that came with them. The club is run by a group of old guys that have been in charge since the sixties and don't care about any of the other members. If you aren't in the elite group you don't matter. It really is kind of sad that this is how our fellow shooter's treat eachother.

Needless to say I drive a little farther and shoot at the range with better rules and regs but worse facilities.

5. smokin762

smokin762

I have been a member of my Club for about 5 years. As I have read in previous threads about this topic, there are many old Elmer Fudds at Clubs. Due to these old farts that have not read the updated Club rules since they joined back in 1954, I always carry an up to date Club rule booklet.

I have had problems with the Fudds too. I usually try to have respect with these old farts but it does annoy me when they have the Holier than thou attitude. I just reach into my range bag, pull out the rule booklet, and show them that what I am doing falls in line with the Club rules. On more than one occasion, I have been told that they do not care what the rules are and that I cannot do what I am doing.

Since I have been in direct contact with the Club President. I email him or call him whenever there is a problem or I have an idea for the Club. The Club President told me to write his number down and put it in my wallet and if I ever have a problem again while I am following the rules, give the old Fudds his phone number and he will take care of it for me.

Things have gotten a lot better since I decided that I am a paying member as well, and the older members should treat me with respect. I do not care how many years these old Fudds have been there, it is not acceptable behavior on their part.

6. vafish

vafish

We have 2,200 members in our club and are lucky to get 10-15 to show up at a general membership meeting. Maybe 200 will show up for the annual picnic and the most we have ever had vote in an election was about 330, usually less than 200.

As far as some of the rules and yelling at people for rapid fire. If you spend a lot of time repairing the range, trying to make things look nice and someone comes along and shoots up the target frames, puts holes in the ceiling and other wise damages the club property you tend to get a bit upset.

A few bad apples tend to spoil things for everyone.

7. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

Wow. That's a big group. A few bad apples can make the rest of the group look bad for sure. I suppose most groups have someone that wants to shoot the ceiling. Safety issues cannot be negotiated.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. smokin762

smokin762

I understand what you are saying about certain people destroying Club property. It hurts everybody in the Club and it is completely disrespectful and could be harmful to the other Club members.

Five months ago, I contacted my Club President and asked him if it would be possible to set up a couple of targets at 10 feet from the firing line so that those of us that have a CCW can practice at a proper distance. He told me that sounded like a great idea.

The Club dug two holes for each target. They stuck PVC piping in the holes at ground level. Two wooden frames were built so that we could use Bad Guy targets.

Within two weeks, somebody vandalized the targets and the PVC pipe. He emailed me and explained what happened and decided to cover up the holes. This was an act of disrespect to the Club and to those of us that used this firing line.

However, as the OP has stated, older Club members do treat new members poorly. They act as if new members have to earn their respect and that is B.S. it’s called acting like a decent person. They would catch more flies with honey instead of using vinegar. I am 41 and the 70 something Elmer Fudds still try to give me an attitude.:upeyes: