Joined the lot last night

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DenverDuck, Jun 22, 2007.

1. DenverDuck

DenverDuck

Passed the Tech and General last night.

Going to be looking for a handheld Yaesu VX-7R so if any of you have on and can give me any tips, it would be appreciated.

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Welcome!

Best tip I can give you is join a club. There you will find all the help and mentoring you need.

73 de WI9NDY

Rich

3. FN64

FN64 Guest

AWRIGHT!! Double dipper in the band!!

The VX's are good rigs but please consider not limiting yourself to a 5 watt HT when your license allows 90% of the HF bands to operate on.
    Consider saving the nickels & dimes till you can get an all band rig.. you'll be glad ya did.
    Theres some fairly decent deals on the for sale forum @ QRZ.com. I'd avoid ebay like dose of STD'd till ya know what your doing.. good chance of ripoffs there, but @ the zed everybodys callsign is attached to the deal so theres less chance of getting pooched.
    Keep firing the questions & we'll help as best we can..
    Big congrats & 73..FN

4. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

For $1000 you could have an 857D and an VHF vertical and a HF wire antenna plus a basic tuner. That's 3x the cost of a VX7 but 100x the fun.

5. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Congrats!

I have a VX 2, and I've been playing with it today, works great.

The 857D is a nice radio as well it's what I'm buying myself when I pass the General. And a Hamstick.

http://hamradio.com
    http://hamstick.com/

-73'a
    KI4WQD

6. DenverDuck

DenverDuck

Thanks much for the info. I really am looking for a portable handheld rig..... I really like to get out a explore the outdoors so that is the reason for the VX-7R, I just have heard it is the best handheld.

It isn't the money, I just wanted the portability and thought the VX-7R would really fit the bill.

7. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

The VX7 is a nice HT. You won't go wrong with it. Gigaparts, HRO, universal-radio all have good prices.

Don't forget an extra battery. I also got the headphone/mic adapter to work satellites with my VX5.

8. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

remember that a handheld is only as good as it's antenna... so if you really are intent on trying to DX the little guy, invest into a fold up yagi or a magnet mount for the roof of your car.

I'd suggest the fold up yagi, then you have a nice rig to fox hunt with. I'm going on a fox hunt for field day today, and that's what I'm using.

(I also have a paper clip to use for getting close in) ;)

9. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

+1. I've used universal radio a couple times and always been pleased.

Congratulations on the two tickets!

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How long did it take to receive your callsign? Do you have it yet?

I passed my Tech and General last Sunday (the 24th, two days after your first post) and have yet to receive it (now 9 days later, July 3, has come and gone). Been checking http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/results.jsp multiple times a day. [Not so] patiently waiting here. I had even created an FRN online prior to taking the test, and supplied it with the paperwork in hopes of speeding the process up a little. VEs told me to expect it at the end of last week.

11. DenverDuck

DenverDuck

I took the test on 6-21-07 and got my call sign on 7-2-07.

It took a bit longer than I thought it was going to.

AAAAAAAAAAdios....Duck