close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Joined a gun club

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gregg702, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I joined the Desert Hills gun club today. My membership gives me free access to the rifle and pistol ranges, and deeply discounted clay pigeons for the skeet and clay courses. I have gone there a few times before buying a membership, but decided to go all the way today.
    http://www.deserthillsshootingclub.com/

2. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I'm waiting to hear back about acceptance from mine. I'm tired of driving to my public ranges only to find out some drunk %##holes shot it up again with autos.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

3. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

I've been a member there for a couple years. Welcome! I'm sure I'll see you there. I usually make it there to shoot a couple times a week, plus a trip or two just for the bar.

4. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Cool. I won't get to go that much, but I figure if I make it at least once a month, the membership is worth it. I like to shoot skeet and trap.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Been there many times to shoot sporting clays. It's a great place for sure !!

6. jpa

jpa CLM

I've heard good things about the facilities, $300 is a lot to shell out for a membership IMHO though....have you shot there yet?

7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Yes, the skeet shooting is world class, and the pistol and rifle ranges are well thought out. You should go up there and try it out.

8. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

Keep in mind that you don't have to be a member to shoot there. It's only $10 for locals to enjoy the pistol and rifle bays, and the cost per clay is a little higher if you are doing shotgun.

The price is half if you are a guest of a member for the day.

9. Powers77

Powers77

I did not know this. Going to have to check it out soon as I'm local also, living on the West side.

10. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

And they have a full bar, no membership required.

And you can carry (OC or CCW) the whole time with no hassles, whether you are shotgunning on the skeet, trap, and sporting clay courses, or sipping your martini.

We are very much looking forward to the indoor range and restaurant, but things got held up just before it was to open.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Good going. I belong to a couple gun club.

Biggest hassle is dealing with people and "club stuff". Fortunately my wife is a people person. I just go to shoot at a range that has nicer bench rests than my pasture :)

12. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

Is that the club on the way to Searchlight? I pass that one when I go to Lost Wages and have been telling myself I want to stop and check it out.

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

That is the one, check it out next time you pass.

14. jpa

jpa CLM

Not too bad...I might have to take a look. It sucks that I live right by the county shooting park though....long drive.

15. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

It's the site of the old Pachmayr grip factory. I've been there three times shooting pistols. My Jeep dealer rents one of the pistol ranges about every other month, and invites customers to come out free-of-charge.

I agree that it is a nice facility and the folks are very friendly. They've been working on getting an indoor range set up in the building below for over a year now.

I had to laugh when Boulder City tried to stop them from putting the sign on the mountain...the range is not in Boulder City. LOL

However, since I only shoot pistols, I belong to the Boulder City Rifle & Pistol club. It's only $70/year and members can shoot there 24/7/365. That's where I do the majority of my shooting.