close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Johnson Outdoors files lawsuit over fish-finder

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

RACINE - Johnson Outdoors Wednesday announced it has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Navico Inc. for selling certain fish-finding equipment.

The announcement came one day after Racine-based Johnson Outdoors announced it had received a patent protecting its Humminbird Side Imaging sonar technology.

[​IMG]
    Humminbird(r) 1100 series fishfinder with Side Imaging(r) sonar technology.

The lawsuit is based on Navico's sale of the Lowrance LSS-1 StructureScan Imaging System.

The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court in Alabama, the home of Humminbird products.

Johnson Outdoors said its Side Imaging sonar produces detailed and recognizable images of underwater objects and bottom structures, enabling anglers to pinpoint habitat, structure and drop-offs which are prime holding areas for fish.

The patent application process began in 2004, before Johnson Outdoors' introduction of Side Imaging sonar in Humminbird 900 series fish finder models the next year.

On Monday the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted the company a patent for the sonar technology.

The company's complaint in the lawsuit states that Navico expended substantial resources to inform the trade and relevant purchasers of fish finding products, that it too would use side-scan technology to compete directly with Humminbird, knowing that the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office had approved the patent.

Johnson Outdoors is asking the court to enjoin Navico from further infringement of the patented sonar technology.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/3b4a677c-0b69-11df-9163-001cc4c03286.html

2. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

A lot of folks go fishing because it's relaxing.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Here's something I don't get:

Most freshwater fish are caught in less than 8' of water.

At least around here, you can see that deep in lakes.

Why the flip do I need Bill Dance telling me I need a fish finder when I can see that deep no matter what????

He (and others) are always going on about, "Look at htat school of this" or "hey, here are these" that's. ????

MAYBE use it to find structure. But to find fish?? I have to believe any fish that is in the AO while you have your motor on low or the trolling on full-tilt is gonna be a bit antsy to be sitting where the machine says they are once you stop and cast.

Tell me there is a reason to get one of these things. For a guy like me that fishes primarily one lake, I can't see it ever helping.

4. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

I used my Fish finder/GPS mostly to see how fast I was going (before I sold my Champion :( )... and to find structure where to drop for deeper water fish (i.e. cats). Otherwise, I usually fish structure. I don't mind having some decent equipment, but I couldn't ever see spending $1k+ on one...

5. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Our resevoirs out here are better than 150ft deep in some places. Waters murky a good bit of the time also. Walleye are usually caught in between 8 and 25ft of water, very seldom can you see more than 6 or 7 feet down. I've caught trout out here in deeep water too.

6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

There's so much money involved in fishing,I can understand the points involved.'08.

7. Smashy

Smashy

You can turn it upside down and use it for duck hunting.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

9. Radiac

Radiac Got Jacks?

Our Triton bass boat has two Lowrance sonars, a GPS / Chartplotter & a VHF radio... and we still don't catch fish. :embarassed:

But we have fun playing with all the toys.

BTW, Lake Jocassee in South Carolina is 300 ft deep at the dam. Nice clear water, but you ain't seeing the bottom.

10. Toyman

Toyman

Well, for one thing, the technology referenced above is side scan sonar - it can see up to 480 feet from side to side. It's side looking sonar, not the typical down looking sonar.

Check out these picture galleries.

[​IMG]

11. Smashy

Smashy

The lure of the technology is part of the attraction. I think they're designed to catch more humans than fish.

12. vafish

vafish

I remember talking with an old guy that ran a rural store that sold among other things bait and fishing supplies. I asked him what the local fish were hitting on. He held up a couple of lures and said these two here are all you need to catch fish around here. I looked at all the rest of the stuff he had and said "Then why do you have all of that?" his response with a big smile was "These here are for catching fish, Those are for catching fishermen"