Johnny Glocks Trigger Disappointment.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Seaweed02, May 11, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The most recent thing I did was take my Glock 17, polish the trigger bar, striker safety and connector and replace the trigger spring, striker safety spring, and striker spring with a set from Ghost but I used a polished + Glock connector. The Glock + gives you the shortest pull to break. So far it's my favorite Glock trigger.

2. 153

I’ve watched the JG videos like everyone else. I appreciate his transparency, and instruction. My question is that it appears that he stones and polishes right through the nickel plating on the stock parts. Not sure if the underlying metal is some kind of stainless or other alloy that won’t wear excessively after the plate is removed.

3. Seaweed02

Seaweed02 Boatswain's Mate

I ordered an Overwatch Precision trigger, which was their entire assembly. Not just the bar and shoe, but the one you just pull out the old assembly and drop in the new one. Well it actually increased my trigger pull. I had ordered the NP3 coated stuff, maybe I should have gone with the polished.

To clarify though, I couldn't see wasting money so I went ahead and polished the hell out of the parts in that kit. I brought it to a mirror shine. Now I don't know if I polished all of the NP3 coating off, or if it is possible to polish the NP3 coating without damaging it at all. But then I installed some reduced power springs and put that into my Glock 19X and it is fine now. It also, like my Glock 45 now pulls at a little over 3 lbs. I really like the flat trigger that came with that kit. But after buying it for $169, plus $13 for their NP3 coated firing pin safety plunger, and shipping, I was into them for $208. So my opinion of Overwatch Precision is not good. I have heard many people say great things about their triggers, but it didn't work out that way for me. And when I contacted them they seemed to be disinterested.

WARRIOR 45 likes this.
  4. Jarrod37387

Jarrod37387 Silver Member

I hear you. I generally will only order a bar and flat face shoe and then do connectors and such myself. My Apex Tactical trigger in my 19 MOS came with a spring kit and I played around with different combos and connectors and ultimately wound up with all stock springs, all polished internals, and a factory minus connector with a pull right at 4 pounds. The OP Poly DATs I have do pretty much the same thing in my 45, 43, and another 19. I've only had to contact OP customer service for a couple of very minor things but they've always seemed interested in getting me helped out and making sure I'm happy.

5. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Not reading another trigger thread but I can say from the OP that why not polish the parts, correctly, and keep the OEM springs. A 4.5lb trigger pull is fairly light unless you're strict into X shooting. Get your shooting arm (shoulder to wrist) in shape and 4.5 lbs will prolly feel like 3.5. The OEM springs are there for a reason. Nothing saying you can't make it smoother, though. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone wants a 3.5lb combat pull weight. Are you soft???

In before the mod.

YjackingwiththeoemtriggerMMV

6. 153

I thought the pulls on my Glocks were pretty light, with 3.5 connectors and .25 cent polishing. When I put them on a pull gauge they were all 5 to 5.5. Seems plenty light enough for a SD pistol.

Willard and Fatboy2001 like this.
  7. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Lol, well if looks like some die hards went to the darkside and started polishing Glock trigger parts. I have been polishing GLOCK parts since 2000.

Glocks springs SUCK, and I now use Wolff springs exclusively. I prefer the reduced spring pack and the (7) Glocks I have left have them...... I like a 4# pull with the minus connector, I do not have the trigger springs that break that the Glock Fan Bois complain about.

8. DrewBone

DrewBone

(insert: Bullwinkle Moose voice) Hey 'Rock, I solved my Glock problems; I'm selling them all!

CrashFF00 and Rocky7 like this.
  9. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Yup, I’ve seen your posts. Myself since I have (7) left and all Gen 3, nothing does not run well. I also have parts to last a lifetime. I also have family willing to accept anything I no longer need.

If urges or boredom takes over I suspect a visit to Gemini Customs and I will add another revolver.

I am still entertained by Fan Bois and Newbies.....enjoy.

Ps Eventually, All will be alienated.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  10. DrewBone

DrewBone

I've seen your Gemini Customs revolver...it's a beautiful example of quality craftsmanship! 'Matter of fact I've looked to their work as inspiration for my own pending projects.

I enjoy the entertainment as well...it's like a recurring script; Scene 1: the newbies show up. Scene2: the fanbois flock towards them tripping over each others Johnsons to welcome them to the "brotherhood" and utter their usual speil. Scene3: the newbies know no better so they "Like" every reply. Scene4: the fanbois feel all fuzzy and warm.

Glancing over these types of threads instead of participating in them is now the norm for me because I'm so tired of repeating myself, LOL.

Rocky7 likes this.
  11. Bradd D

Bradd D

The curmudgeons are far more entertaining.

12. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I got the Overwatch TAC trigger because I prefer a flat faced trigger to the Glock trigger that comes with the G48. That's it! For me, the Overwatch TAC trigger has nothing to do with pursuing a super-duper gee-whiz lite trigger pull. :cheers:
    G48 flat trigger.jpg

13. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

Thanks for the review. No need to read the thread. This info sums it up for me.

14. domin8ss

domin8ss

At this point, I recommend avoiding Johnny Glocks. Here's my scenario in a nutshell:

April 21, 2020
    I use his website to contact him about getting a Glock 34.4 to him for some work. He says it's $400 and 3 weeks.

April 22
    I ship my firearm to him via FedEx

April 24
    FedEx shows Johnny Glock received my firearm

April 29
    Johnny Glock emails me in freakout mode in all caps. He's telling me my firearm just arrived, there's no work order (which he didn't mention on 4/21, and he needed a pic of my drivers license or his "compliance officer" was going to send my gun back. I send him an image of my driver's license. It's from Utah and expired in 2013. Still valid because of the military. I'm in Virginia. He says all of this violates federal law. I know it's not, so I get on the phone with the ATF. The local ATF agent for his area calls him and sets him straight. After a full day of back and forth between him and the ATF it is determined that if I send him a copy of the paperwork for my dog's license that came from the city treasurer's office that everything will be ok. Done.

May 4
    Johnny Glocks emails me to say he's finally sending me an invoice for the $400, plus $40 for shipping, Plus $90 for the flat faced trigger upgrade. I paid the invoice promptly upon receipt. $530 total.

May 5
    Payment of invoice confirmed via email.

May 29
    I sent an email simply requesting a status update on my firearm. Whether you start the clock on 4/24 or 5/5, it had been over 3 weeks. Johnny Glocks responds that he'll call me in the middle of next week. I said I'll wait for his phone call.

June 5
    I send an email and a text message that he never called me as promised, and I simply want an update on the status of my firearm. Johnny Glock responds with, "Call me Monday." I reply with, "What time?" He said 11am.

June 8
    I call Johnny Glock at 11am, as requested. Call goes to voicemail. While I'm leaving the voice message he texts, "I'll call you back." I said, "Ok." I'm still awaiting his call.

That is where we stand right now. I've watched his videos, and tried to do some work myself, but I 1) can't wrap my head around it, and 2) failed attempting it myself. I used one of his connectors, and polished the entire trigger bar myself. This gun started as a stripped frame. Everything is aftermarket. The striker is not releasing from the crucifix when the trigger is pulled all the way back. This was the first, and will be the last, handgun that I assemble myself from a hodge-podge of parts from different manufacturers. Lesson learned. Clearly, Glocks are not AR15s. This gun was built with the intent of being a competition pistol, not a CCW. I have several other Glocks (and a few other non-Glocks) for CCW.

At this point, I'm frustrated. He has my money, my gun, and isn't providing basic customer service. I just went under contract for the selling of my house, and will be moving soon to another state. I need to get this deal concluded as soon as possible, but he isn't talking. Based on his 3 week timeframe I should've had plenty of time to conclude this transaction. I'm concerned I may have to get a lawyer, which is something I don't really want to do. At this point, I don't recommend sending your guns to Johnny Glocks for work to be performed.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Mr Meeseeks, glide and Gfive45 like this.
  15. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Thanks for the update! Sounds like a big PITA. :cheers:

Mr Meeseeks and domin8ss like this.
  16. domin8ss

domin8ss

I'm sorry it's my first post in several years. I normally look from afar and learn what I can. In this scenario I believe people should be aware of what's going on. I'm hoping this turns around quickly.

17. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

Not good, so sorry for your trouble. Hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction.

domin8ss likes this.
  18. glide

glide Just sayin'

Thanks for conveying this situation to the forum and the feedback on this vendor. It's a pity and I hope you resolve this issue soon. You've shown much patience and consideration. Good luck and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

domin8ss likes this.
  19. walke121

walke121

After all the positive things I’ve seen I hoped you would have a better outcome. I’m still hoping in the end you get the product you were promised. I hate when there are issues but I tend to be pretty forgiving when I get what I’m promised in the end.

I know how it goes believe me. I had a pretty major vessel refit and repower last spring from someone with nothing but great reviews and just my luck the boat sits for 2 months with nothing done. Ends up taking 3 months longer and $47k over the original quote. But I got it back better than expected and I know good work takes time and money. But lack of communication with a paying customer is something I can’t stand and calling 10 times a day for 3 days to get an update when they basically have a blank check and my boat was unacceptable. Just be upfront with me and I’m pretty understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domin8ss likes this.
  20. Rick James45

Rick James45

I'll skip most of this thread. A very good friend of mine just installed a JG in his Gen 5 17. Oh my. WTH. You need a pair of vice grips to pull the trigger. No joke. If you pull up on the slide it does get a little better. Clearly there is an issue with the relationship between the crucifix and striker. The good news is he did contact JG asap and JG is rectifying. He went straight to the vendor and said vendor is rectifying. As it should be.

What puzzles me, my buddy does a damn good .25 job himself and his triggers feel great. Most are around 4-4.5 (measure for real) and very smooth. I guess he wanted an edge of some kind. He has also done the DK trigger adventure too which in the long run was also problematic. DK did rectify also.

The above is in all game guns.

I like polished, used OEM parts and call it a day.