close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

John Wayne as Green Beret colonel in Military Channel

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, Aug 18, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

How many times i ve watched this movie since the 70s. I love this show with their use of the classic M 16 A1s and M1 carbines . Its being featured right now at Military Channel.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Yep, I concur...Many up and coming stars in the movies as well. Who knew Sulu would end up gay! Who cares he was a fierce fighter, and man could he drive the Enterprise!

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Great movie. Pretty controversial for the time. Imagine Hollywood portraying a reporter in such a negative light these days.

4. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

Who knew Vietnam had so much red clay and so many pine trees?

5. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

My favorite movie. I chose Bulldog as my CB handle because of that movie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. tongix

tongix

The movie was filmed in Georgia. This was the movie when i had my first glimpse of the SKS carbine. l love Ray Muldon who picked it up and said, Chicom SKS! I got two in my collections . And who would think that SKSs will be imported into this country is such huge numbers, fun to shoot and doesnt break the bank.

8. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

You forgot the Huey :dunno:

[​IMG]

9. adamg01

adamg01

Everytime I watch it I keep thinking to myself, "Clint Eastwood would be so much better in this role". :whistling:

10. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

Oddly, when I was in Vietnam we jokingly argued whether Clint Eastwood could whip John Wayne's ***.

11. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

I haven't seen it in years. Were they using M1's or M14's? When that movie was filmed most in Vietnam had been issued M16's but some were still using M14's. I thought the M1 had been totally phased out by then.

12. countrygun

countrygun

The M-16 was first issued to the Air Force and "liberated" by SF units who generally carried a mixture of weapons many using variations of the M-1 carbine, M-2, m1 A1 (paratroop variation). The M-1 Garand was copiously given out to ARVN units as was the M-1 carbine. Robin Moore who wrote the book that the movie was based on was run through SF trining and qualification and went to VN. He carried an M-2 carbine (the full auto M-1 carbine) as a "civillian ride-along" of sorts.

13. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

I bought my Dad a brand new SKS for Father's Day back in '93 for $119. It is a great weapon. Just flipped through the channels and found the The Green Berets. Loved this movie ever since I was a kid. Kind of corny in some parts now, but still a kick *** movie none-the-less. :patriot:

14. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

.... of course they started the encore airing and so far they have cut so much out that it's almost not worth watching. Good thing I have it on DVD.

15. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

I'm man enough to admit that at the end when John Wayne gives the kid Peterson's beret I still get a little choked up. Anyone with me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. countrygun

countrygun

I dunno about "choked up" I couldn't say because somehow i always get a little something stuck in my eye.

17. briarpatch

briarpatch

He gave a monument to the Green Berets that was located at the JFK center at Fort Bragg. I would pass it every time I had to go to the center and buff the floors.
    Inside the center in the main lobby was a picture on the wall of an enormous strong man with the world on his back, if you looked on the horizon of the world at the top you will see a little tiny Green Beret pushing a buffer. You could find it by the smuge print under it. I think that is all we did was push buffers.

18. tongix

tongix

I watched it again last night. Sure is, John Wayne always carry the M 16 upside down as if he doesnt care to use it. Of course he is so tall and big of a guy to be special forces who mostly are lean and fit. Its just a movie though.
    And lastly, who would thiink eight years after this movie's release we d be watching hueys being pushed off the deck of aircraft carrier off the coast of Saigon in haste to bug out. It is so sad after all the lives and effort to keep South Vietnam intact.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  19. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

The one endearing scene in that movie is at the end when Colonel Kirby is explaining to the lad, Ham Chunk, that all of the fighting is for him ... on a beach in Vietnam ... with the Sun setting ... in the east. :headscratch:

:supergrin:

20. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

My impression is that JW seemed a bit old to be traipsing around Vietnam in the bushes. I do like the movie however.

Kind of went "Uhhh..." :upeyes: in this scene when he smashes this gun against a tree. I thought, "what the hell is that?"

[​IMG]

I looked that gun up. It is a made by Mattel M16 Marauder.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012