John Q Public Question for You

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kfall, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Kfall

Kfall

I am not a Ham Radio Operator.I knew a ham radio operator years ago and listened with him 30+ years ago one night. That is my extent of experience.

Her is my question for the experts here. I am putting together my "survival kit" and in it I have a radio that has a SW Band. If there was an emergency, how should it be used? Are there certain frequencies that I would tune into? Is where I live a factor. (Oregon). Anyway I would appreciate and I am sure others would if any of you can tell people like me what we can do to benefit from your "services" in an emergency.

Thanks!
    Alan

2. Boomer58

Boomer58

Hi Alan, Ill try and offer some help, although far from being an expert.
    For groundwave local comms during an emegency, I would recommend a receiver that covers vhf/uhf freqs. The 2 meter ham band 144-148 mhz is a very popular band for emergency comms through repeaters and/or simplex.
    Try this link for your state it lists a bunch of repeaters and there locations, frequencies and call signs. Good luck, Mike/W2MLC. http://users.cot.net/~n6mrx/ares/rpt.html

3. Kfall

Kfall

Thanks Mike! I'll check out you advice. :)

4. sonick808

sonick808

just adding for kicks, if you have a receiver that can pick up 20 meters, 14.300 is used for the "maritime mobile service net" which is on every day for seafaring message traffic, as well as general message passing in an emergency.

Sure, it doesn't see much traffic, but it's nice to know it's there (when winlink isn't busy stepping on it without listening that is, with it's massively wide pactor signal).

But yeah, 14.300 upper sideband