John Lott: Gun-free zones easy targets for would-be killers

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by 4Rules, Feb 10, 2017.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

Since 1950, more than 98 percent of public mass shootings in America have taken place where citizens are banned from carrying guns. In Europe, every mass public shooting in history has occurred in a gun-free zone. And Europe is no stranger to mass public shootings. In the past eight years, it has experienced a per-capita casualty rate 50 percent higher than that of the U.S.
    http://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/02/09/john-lott-gun-free-zones-easy-targets-would--killers/97645622/

2. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I absolutely love that article and the very basic and simplistic reasoning behind the "if you won't put one up at your house, don't put them up elsewhere"

3. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member New Member USCCA

I just printed that article out and will give it to some Antis that are asking for some proof of what I say. Not that it will make any difference to them.

4. Glockbrad

Glockbrad Join GSSF!

I only agree with bars, and other places where alcohol is being heavily consumed, as ok to be gun free zones. Alcohol and guns just don't mix well. If anyone is willing to try and persuade me otherwise I will listen.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

With permit holders preventing dozens of mass public shootings in recent years

Let's see the list. I found one list with a dozen but half of the incidents involved some type of security or police officer. I want to see a list of "dozens" of "permit holders", as claimed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    slamdunc likes this.
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

In the past eight years, it (Europe) has experienced a per-capita casualty rate 50 percent higher than that of the U.S.

Even if that's true it's attributable to two attacks (Norway and Paris Bataclan). Why do you think Lott arbitrarily choose "8 years" as his time frame? Because anything else would invalidate his assertion.

Besides, why include only "mass shootings"? Why not include ALL homicides? I didn't realize carried guns are only good for mass shooting defense.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  7. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member New Member USCCA

In Pennsylvania and IIRC some 21 other states, concealed carry in places (restaurants bars) that serve alcohol is allowed. We very rarely hear of licensees doing anything bad with their firearms while drunk. We are (according to John Lott) the most law abiding people on the planet. We simply don't cause problems. Please read John Lott's book "More Guns Less Crime. It's an eye opener!

8. Glockbrad

Glockbrad Join GSSF!

Yessir I'll have to give it a read. Thanks for the recommendation!

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Lol, if drunk and carrying they've already broken the law, in some places (most places?) a felony. Hell even drinking but not yet drunk is illegal while carrying.