close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

John Denver was a sniper & Mr Rodgers was special forces?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mixflip, Mar 2, 2010.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Ok so me and a buddy were talking at the office. He is an Army vet and a 20 year police officer. In casual conversation about guns some how...he asks me a question.

"Hey did you know that Mr. Rodgers was in the special forces? Yeah, he wore sweaters and long sleeves to hide his military tattoos."

I said, I never heard of that and ask him where he heard it?

He said over 20 years ago while still in the Army.

Then he says, "Oh yeah its very true, also John Denver was a sniper in Vietnam but he kept it a secret because of his singing career".

I was like "holy crap" I did not know this. Thats some crazy stuff there. So I do a wikipedia and snopes search right on the spot in the office on both guys and guess what? It was all untrue. Mr. Rodgers was an ordained minister and John Denver had vision issues that kept him out of the military in the 60's. These 2 stories apearantly are whats called the "who woulda thunk? myth" which usually involves quiet soft image celebrities made out to have deep dark killer pasts. Makes for good urban legends I guess?

My buddy was in shock!!!! He said "crap, I believed this for 20 years and probably told 1000's of people about it, who actually believed it too."

It was just funny and I had to tell someone....:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. finz50

finz50

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

So who's gonna bring up Captain Kangaroo?

4. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Well, they both look crazy enough to take pot shots :whistling:

5. chief

chief

it's true. Elvis was also a covert, secret undercover, assassin spy person. I saw all three of these guys at the mall last week, asked them about it, and they confirmed it.

6. silentpoet

silentpoet

Based on gunstore conversations I don't think anybody ever was a mechanic or cook in the military.

7. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

Seems like you've got a functioning "It's-not-true-just-because-someone-told-you-ometer" :)

8. raven11

raven11

i've met some crew chiefs that are bigger gun nuts then me

too bad Officers can't stop breaking things so they can actually shoot their guns:rofl:

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Did you hear they used Big Bird in Desert Storm to drop bombs on the Iraqi positions? :rofl:

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

The only one that is true is Julia Child!

World War II

Child joined the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) after finding that she was too tall to enlist in the Women's Army Corps (WACs) or in the U.S. Navy through the WAVES.[4]

Child began her OSS career as a typist at its headquarters in Washington, but because of her education and experience soon got a more responsible position as a top secret researcher working directly for the head of OSS, General William J. Donovan.[5] Working as a research assistant in the Secret Intelligence division, she typed ten thousand names on white note cards to keep track of officers. For a year, she worked at the OSS Emergency Rescue Equipment Section (ERES) in Washington, D.C. as a file clerk and then as assistant to developers of a shark repellent needed to ensure that sharks would not explode ordnance targeting German U-boats. In 1944 she was posted to Kandy, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), where her responsibilities included "registering, cataloging and channeling a great volume of highly classified communications" for the OSS's clandestine stations in Asia.[6] She was later posted to China, where she received the Emblem of Meritorious Civilian Service as head of the Registry of the OSS Secretariat.[7]

For her service, Child received an award that cited her many virtues, including her "drive and inherent cheerfulness."[5] She married Paul Cushing Child on September 1, 1946 in Lumberville, Pennsylvania,[8] and the couple moved to Washington, D.C. Paul Child, a New Jersey native[9] who had lived in Paris as an artist and poet, was known for his sophisticated palate.[10] He joined the United States Foreign Service and introduced his wife to fine cuisine. In 1948, they moved to Paris after the US State Department assigned Paul there as an exhibits officer with the United States Information Agency.[7] The couple had no children.

11. FryCook

FryCook

Bob Ross , That "happy little trees" painter guy, was a sniper or a seal or something in Nam......according to my brother. He said that's why he took up painting cuz it kept the demons of war out of his head.

Its gotta be true!

12. F350

F350

OK, here are some truths...

Lee Marvin was a WWII Marine and got shot in the @ on Saipan and was awarded the Purple Heart

Jimmy Stewart flew bombers and earned earned the Distinguished Service Medal, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, and four Air Medals, retiring as a Brigadier General in the Air Force Reserves.

David Nivin was a British commando, never talked much about his service.

Eddie Albert was in the navy and served at Tarawa on an amphibious attack transport, where he was conspicuous for transporting dozens of wounded Marines under fire. Decades later his WWII actions were recognized with a belated award of the Bronze Star with combat "V".

Charles Bronson flew 21 combat missions in World War II, most as a bomber tail gunner.

Clark Gable flew on combat bombing missions, his primary job was photographing other airmen in action for a movie to recruit airmen for the war effort, he completed his service as a major.

Charles Durning - US Army landed at Omaha Beach in the D-Day invasion. He survived the landing, but was wounded in an ambush during the Battle of the Bulge. He was captured, escaped, and narrowly missed assassination at the Malmedy Massacre. He won three Purple Hearts and the Silver Star.

Douglas Fairbanks Jr. joined the naval reserves before the war. During the war he served on the Battleship Massachuesetts and was a Commando raider sent on several land attack missions. He helped organize the forerunners of today's Navy Seals.

Jack Palance US Army Air Corps. 455th bomb group. Required facial reconstruction from terrible injuries received in 1943 when his B17 crash landed in Britain.

Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) enlisted in the Marines but too late to see any action

13. ssfeldjager

ssfeldjager

Captain Kangaroo was a member of Project Delta, Det B-52, 5th SF in Vietnam, 1966-1969. Jeez... I thought everybody knew that. :whistling:

14. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

F350, you left out Dan Rather who claims to be a Marine, but never made it through basic.

15. PetSmart Guy

PetSmart Guy

i know what IS true....
    sara pailin is EVIL! and she eats baby seals!
    [​IMG]

16. PetSmart Guy

PetSmart Guy

what about george bush?
    oh....oh yeah hahaha

17. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

That commie bastard! :soap:

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

19. major

major Rejected member

It's been too painful for me to read these kinds of threads ever since the Beav got killed in Viet Nam.

20. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Naw man, it was Mr. Greenjeans.
    He was in the OSS during the war, operating behind German lines.
    Rumor has it that he and Marlene Dietrich...

[​IMG]