Joggers...how far/fast is considered normal??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sabetsu, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Sabetsu

Sabetsu New Guy

I only ask because I've been jogging for three years, ever since quitting smoking (after smoking for 13 years, since I was a teen) and I consider myself to be average enough. I can run a 7-minute mile...barely...and I run two miles in just a shade over sixteen minutes. I can easily run five or more consecutive 10-minute miles. I'm certainly not trying to become some marathon or competitive runner, but I'd like to consider myself relatively in shape.

Then I hear about guys I didn't consider particularly fit, running six 8-minute miles in a row and I have to think...is something wrong with me, or are these guys BS'ing me?

What's considered normal for "runners," and what should an average hobby-jogger be covering? I'm just curious to see what the other joggers on GT think is the going rate.

Thanks!

2. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

Everybody is diff. When i was young i was always the fat slow kid, but in my 20s i got into running a bit. After a year or so i managed a 6 min mile, sub 7 min pace 2 mile, sub 8 min pace 5 mile, and sub 8.5 min pace on a 10 mile. Not a big deal for many, but accomplishments Ive been proud of. My friend however ran 10 miles at a 515 pace. I would never ever be able to run like him, but still was happy with where i was. Enjoy the exercise and dont worry about whos fastest.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

3. Just1More

Just1More

I can run 1 mile in the 7's. But when I run a longer distance (say 3 miles), I run more like mid-9's/10's. I'm in decent shape.

My wife ran a half-marathon in October and averaged 9 minute miles.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Until you start getting into sub 3 hour marathons or 6 minute miles during an Ironman Triathlon, don't sweat it.

I know people who run 10-11 minute miles and have run for 10 years or more and I know people who just picked it up after being on the couch for 10 years and they're maintaining 7 minute miles for as long as they care to run.

You run what you run. If you want to run more/faster get a coach.

5. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

8 minute miles is about average for someone in average to above average shape. If you run on consistent basis, you should be able to run at an 8 minute per mile pace (minimum 5 miles)

Anything slower than 8 minute miles is going pretty slow...

PS--10 minute miles is not considered running/jogging, but a brisk walk... most people can walk a mile in about 10 minutes.

6. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

I do 3 sub 7 minute miles...

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Running or walking is not defined by time. There are power walkers who maintain 7 minute miles and still are walking.

8. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

You can 'walk' @ 6mph?

9. pugman

pugman

I run anywhere from 5-10 miles 4-5 times a week (although in the winter here in Wisconsin its on a treadmill).

IMO speed is difficult to train...endurance isn't.

I'm running 7-8's...and feel comfortable doing that.

I can run 6's but feel like I'm killing myself. I'm short (5'7) and just dont' have the step as a 6' guy.

If you are running or excerising at all--your a step ahead (no pun intended) of about 90% of the population.

10. professor gun

professor gun

This is true. The strict definition of running is based on the biomechanics of gait.

What is important for fitness is the elevation of heart rate with aerobic exercise and the duration that the exercise continues with that elevated heart rate.

11. Just1More

Just1More

That's some funny stuff! :rofl: You don't run, do you?

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

My guess would be the poster is young and hasn't gotten to being sore in the morning without having done anything the day before to get that way.

13. Sabetsu

Sabetsu New Guy

Thanks for the input, folks. Looks like I'm normal, after all!

Seriously, though...this is just for exercise,and originally just to try undo a little of the damage I did after smoking for thirteen years. I always think back to my first run, when I couldn't even manage a slow jog for five minutes...

If I can ever manage two miles in fifteen minutes, I'll be very, very happy.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Just remember the 10% rule. Only increase your distance 10% a week and after the 3d week of that drop back one week's distance and go again.

Go to a running store, not a sports store that sells shoes, a running store, and have them look at your gait to find out what shoes you actually need. If they don't watch you run, go to another store until you find one that does.

Don't wait until you actually have pains in your shins before changing out shoes.

-eh- remember it's supposed to be fun. I have trouble with this one as I've hated running since day one in the Army. Never gotten runner's high, never even enjoyed running but it's one of the things I know to keep in some semblance of shape.

15. shavedape

shavedape

You're totally normal when it comes to running. If you have a goal then read up on speed work and do the drills. Keep in mind that progress can come fast or slow, it all depends. Try not to be impatient and give yourself a couple months to see if the speed drills work. The day will come that you'll easily beat 15 mins for 2 miles. Trust me.

16. BradD

BradD

The average stride length is 30 in. I'm relatively athletic and the highest walking step frequency I can achieve is about 2.35 Hz (I do research on this subject, so have measured my gait lots of times.) and that's bookin' it and no way I could keep that up more than about 50-100 yards. That's somewhere just over 4 mph. If someone's tall, very athletic, and is really, really trying hard, I think they could get to 6 mph, but I think it would be very difficult.

17. Lewsid 13

Lewsid 13 Senior Member

That's totally inaccurate. A brisk walk is more like a 12 or a 13 minute mile.
    I'm in a cardio building phase right now in training and am running slow steady 9.5 to 10 minute miles for an hour. The average person could most certainly NOT walk that fast. Cheers.

18. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

I was being facetious...you obviously didnt get my point of 10 minute miles being very slow...

If you are in average to above average shape and running 10 minute miles, you need to step it up... just my opinion.

19. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

You obviously didnt get my point of 10 minute miles being very slow for a runner. However, someone that has not ran in years may have a hard time running for an entire mile, but if you are a daily runner, 10 minute miles are slow...

20. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

Break point between jogging & running is generally ~7 minutes per mile. Break point between walking & jogging is generally ~11 minutes per mile. Be more concerned with your heart (resting rate, max rate, recovery time), it'll tell you your pace speed for best fitness results. There are calculation tables available on-line, but (again "generally") you need 30-45 daily minutes at 80% of maximum heart-rate. As your heart becomes stronger, you have the choice of running faster, farther...or both, to continue optimum improvement curve. Just try to stay at 80% of cardio max for 45 minutes. A programmable wrist heart-monitor makes it easy. Congrats on being an ex-smoker! :cool: