Joey Bosa and the San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Just curious what your guy's take is on this. I don't follow the Chargers, or anything in the AFC for that matter. I don't know anything about their staff, management, or how they do things.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/w...uld-have-pulled-an-eli-manning-134543092.html

That being said, it sounds to me like Bosa is being a baby about this. But again: I don't follow the team or what their contract structure is like.

He wanted $17M for a sign-on bonus? What the hell? Did I read that right? I didn't know ANY rookie could get that much! I don't think the 9ers #7 pick, DeForest Buckner, got that much. Not even close.

And you always know the guy is likely a ******bag when his MOMMY throws a hissy fit about the whole ordeal.

"Should have pulled a Manning..." Oh yeah, because Eli was such a poster-child for maturity and manners on Draft Day. GTFO.

Valmet likes this.
  2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I agree with you. I mean sure the guy is an extreme talent (hence first round pick) but since when do rookies not only command that kind-of $ to sign on (defensive rookies no less) but DEMAND that kind of $ ??

And although not a rookie, I felt the same way about Ryan Fitzpatrick in NY this off-season. I mean he's not a bad QB but he's up there in age and he's by no means a prime-time player. I was surprised they ended up paying hm what they did FOR ONE SEASON.

But Jay Cutler is easily the worst QB in the NFL in my opinion and he is somehow still the starting QB in Chicago (I feel like I've said that for the last 4-5 years)..

Jade Falcon likes this.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I thought Manning handled the situation pretty well overall. He said he didn't want to play for the Chargers, when the Chargers drafted him anyway, he still went through the song and dance of pictures, going on stage, etc.

All of us have employers we'd rather not work for.. who knows why he did not want to work for the Chargers, but looking at how the two franchises have went since his draft, I'd say he made a smart decision.

4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

He should have been grateful to be drafted at all. When an NFL team drafts you, you play for them. What kind of rookie pouts and whines like that? AN NFL TEAM JUST DRAFTED YOU. If he wanted to play for New York so much, he should have skipped the draft and entered NY's training camp as an UDFA.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Obviously that would have been financially stupid. He didn't pout and whine.... Pouting and Whining would have been refusing to go on stage, etc. when he was drafted. He did the whole dog and pony show, despite telling the Chargers pre-draft, he did not want to play for them.

6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

How would that have been financially stupid? It was obvious to everyone what kind of talent he was. Enter New York's camp as an UDFA and get a contract. He'd still have 2 Superbowl rings today, and he'd still be starting QB.

7. ray9898

ray9898

It doesn't work that way.

IndyGunFreak likes this.
  8. 29glock27

29glock27 版主是屄

Bosas request is not out of line for a top pick. The Chargers are notoriously screwed up. They should have traded down if they don't want to play the contract game involved with top picks.

They could do the deal and trade Bosa, he is a hot commodity.

9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

If you say so. I know squat about contracts at draft day, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

The 9ers have tons of cap, but he'd have to convert to a 3-4 DE, and I don't think he'd succeed there. He's dominate in the 4-3.

10. ray9898

ray9898

The NFL Players Union requires all prospective players to enter the draft. The only way you can walk on as a rookie free agent is to be undrafted.

IndyGunFreak likes this.
  11. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

So in other words, if he wanted to play at all in the NFL, he would have HAD to enter the Draft? You can't just not enter the draft and sign with a team as an UDFA?

12. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

The Chargers are asking him to take the signing bonus money next year with only a small portion this year. He will make less than his teammates drafted after him. His contract is inline with those taken ahead and behind him. It's more on the Chargers. But in the long run, does he really need training camp and exhibition games? He's a defensive lineman. Shed blocks and tackle. I think he's got it down.

13. ray9898

ray9898

Meanwhile.....this contract dispute is on pretty solid grounds from the player standpoint. There are plenty of examples in the past few seasons, actually it is common practice, of teams conceding one or even both of his main issues even to players who went lower in the draft. In the past 4 years no other 3rd pick has signed a contract with both stipulations the Charger's are pushing. The rookie has already said he would concede one point if the Charger's meet in the middle. They haven't.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  14. ray9898

ray9898

Correct....the draft is the way into the NFL. There is no other way it could work or the top players every year would simply walk on to the best teams.

15. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Dude, I may not be the smartest when it comes to contracts and players union rules and all that hocus pocus. But if it's one thing I do know, it's this: every rookie NEEDS NFL training camp. Period.

Got it, that makes sense, thanks.