1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
Unless somebody knows something I dont know then I say stupid move. Although I have heard of Spotify mentioned by name I have no idea what it is or what it does. I watch 100s of YouTube videos weekly. Then again I guess if they are giving him 100mill????

/

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^We’ve had a family Spotify subscription for a couple years. It’s how I listen to music while driving or working out. The subscription is worth it if you listen to music often - no ads and you can download songs to listen to if you’re without a connection.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I won't pay for that. I like his podcast but not that much.
Now I can get sucked into a 3 hour Joe rabbit hole for fun. But not a monthly syphon.

That reminds me, gotta cancel Apple TV+. The B Boys doc was worth $5, the rest, not so much.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
It's a smart move for his wallet.

Maybe he hates Youtube and doesn't want to give them more views. I'd give him a thumbs up just for that. **** Youtube and their awful CEO.

I'll give that to him. Absolutely. Good for you Joe. Just can't continue to get into this nickel and dime habit.

Hell, I dropped $80 to go see him in June. (or July?). But with the Coronas, don't know if it's still on, getting my money back, or what. Ya win some, ya lose some. No harm, no foul.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,232 Posts
Now I can get sucked into a 3 hour Joe rabbit hole for fun. But not a monthly syphon.

That reminds me, gotta cancel Apple TV+. The B Boys doc was worth $5, the rest, not so much.
I continue to cut back on stuff like that. I dropped Netflix because I'm not a movie guy and I'm tired of their leftist views leaking through into their programs.
I had XM/Sirius on our leased Subaru but when we turned it in, the car we bought doesn't have it. I don't really miss it that much. I put a bunch of songs on flash drives which our current car plays. Boredom problem solved!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I continue to cut back on stuff like that. I dropped Netflix because I'm not a movie guy and I'm tired of their leftist views leaking through into their programs.
I had XM/Sirius on our leased Subaru but when we turned it in, the car we bought doesn't have it. I don't really miss it that much. I put a bunch of songs on flash drives which our current car plays. Boredom problem solved!
I enjoyed satellite radio. But, after 3 months, found myself listening to the same 3 stations that continuously repeated every 24-48 hours, and my ride to work is 15 minutes, so, I bailed. Wife still pays for hers, but with the kids not going to school and her on furlough, she's thinking of cancelling.

I still use Netflix and try to avoid their liberal landmines. Hulu, is on the short list. Disney+, the kids enjoy it. Amazon Prime, I make money on the free shipping, we order so often, so, the videos are free.

Other than that, I dropped cable/satellite TV to get away from the drone of getting milked for mediocre programming. Liberalization (with a capital L) of entertainment is a good thing. Only pay for it, if it's actually worth paying for. Otherwise, no thanks.

Reactions: R*E and Lockback

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I wouldn't actively pay for someone's opinion.

Spotify's free service is nice but their random song algorithms are terrible. I have 3500 or songs in my que and it plays the same one 4 times in an hour?

Reactions: evlbruce

·
Just lack finishing up
4,197 Posts
I've only listened to a few of his podcasts. I find him semi- interesting, mostly due to his guests. I think he is intelligent, but he also sounds stoned. And the crew that supports his program are lame. So, I don't care. $100M seems crazy.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,232 Posts
I enjoyed satellite radio. But, after 3 months, found myself listening to the same 3 stations that continuously repeated every 24-48 hours, and my ride to work is 15 minutes, so, I bailed. Wife still pays for hers, but with the kids not going to school and her on furlough, she's thinking of cancelling.

I still use Netflix and try to avoid their liberal landmines. Hulu, is on the short list. Disney+, the kids enjoy it. Amazon Prime, I make money on the free shipping, we order so often, so, the videos are free.

Other than that, I dropped cable/satellite TV to get away from the drone of getting milked for mediocre programming. Liberalization (with a capital L) of entertainment is a good thing. Only pay for it, if it's actually worth paying for. Otherwise, no thanks.
Exactly.
Like you, I have Amazon Prime because we order a fair amount of stuff and it pays for the shipping and we get the video content. I don't visit it terribly often but it's there.
When I retired, my cable bill was pushing $200/month, which was obscene in my view, and we were looking to live on a tighter budget. We dropped cable but kept internet service and a dedicated phone land line (required for my wife's job) and installed Roku devices on our TVs and stream content using WiFi through SlingTV. For local programming, we use HD antennas.
It's worked out very well for us. I don't miss cable at all and we've saved a ton of money.

·
Come on man!!
16,556 Posts
It's a smart move for his wallet.

Maybe he hates Youtube and doesn't want to give them more views. I'd give him a thumbs up just for that. **** Youtube and their awful CEO.
He definitely hates Google and their heavy-handed censorship, he talks about it a lot on his show.

He's getting paid a large amount of money to sit around and shoot the breeze with people, I'm happy for him.

I hope this really hurts Youtube, but he's just one fish in a big pond. I may go ahead and subscribe to Spotify because of this. I already use the free version a good bit.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
I wouldn't actively pay for someone's opinion.

Spotify's free service is nice but their random song algorithms are terrible. I have 3500 or songs in my que and it plays the same one 4 times in an hour?
His podcast will be free.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts