close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jobs in Haiti

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by kfranz87, Feb 15, 2010.

1. kfranz87

kfranz87

So now that everything is starting to run somewhat smoothly, it's time to start rebuilding. I'm thinking American companies are going to try to get in on this (since obviously the Haitians didn't know what they were doing the first time around) and think it would make a good job opportunity for some of us. Specifically I'm looking for something over the summer, I need an internship as I am a construction management major, but would be willing to swing a hammer as well, if the price is right. Anyone know where to start looking? I've already checked some of the job search websites and come up with nothing.

2. shineybore

shineybore

E-mail Mike Rowe. I hear he is going to do a show in Haiti. Starting a new season of dirty Jobs.

3. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

You're dreaming if you think American companies are going to get any contracts let for Haiti. The politicians are going to take the funds allocated by the USA and let the contracts to companies from places like China, India, or the Middle East. They'll specify a certain number of locals for the workforce. They'll award the contract to whoever gives them the best kickback, and they'll hire "friends" who'll never show to work. That's what's happening in Iraq, Afghanistan, and every other Third World pisspot of a country that has no accountability to the US taxpayer.

4. 220-9er

220-9er

Sorry, you must have mis-understood. We get to make the donations, but us evil americans don't get the jobs.

5. kfranz87

kfranz87

So I guess they would rather let the French come **** things up again? :dunno:

6. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

That would be interesting.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Why is it that you think there are going to be funds to rebuilt Haiti? Haiti can barely feed itself. It definitely cannot afford to pay American wages to people to swing a hammer in a country where there is so much unemployment to begin with.

Even if there is foreign aid money to rebuild, they are going to try and employ local people and TWNs before they pay Americans to do those jobs. We cost too much.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Dang, I hate it when threads descend into intolerance and racism.

9. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Maybe we can unionize the natives?

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Haiti is not New Orleans. Haiti would make New Orleans dirty underworld look like a chipmaker's fabrication lab.

Don't even think about it. If fed.gov aint sending you, don't do it. If yer white, and you aint going on .fed time/money, and you aint a missionary or medic, you're an idiot.

'Drew

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

QFT. Plain unvarnished kind, too. No white, black, conservative, liberal, good, bad, conehead, no cone, don't matter truth. Just the way it is and we all wish it was different but it's not - truth.

12. kfranz87

kfranz87

???

Ok, so they have no need for American laborers, but they do have a need for American project managers. People that can supervise the rebuilding so that new buildings are up to modern codes and have measures to make them earthquake resistant, because there will be another one. To date, the Red Cross alone has raised $255 million for the relief efforts, eventually they are going to shift from feeding the people and putting them up in unsanitary filthy tent cities to rebuilding structures. I just hope they avoid the same mistakes they made in the past, if not I will have absolutely no pity for them at all.

13. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

You still don't get it.

We have been pouring money into Haiti for decades. They know how to build, they just don't care. The money is there to be stolen, not improve the lot of the lower classes.

$225 Million dollars? Think about it. Just how much real construction can you get done for that amount? In a city of 6 million people who'll kill you for a pair of shoes, and a country that must import everything as they have no material of their own. That's not enough money to rebuild the roads and bridges, let alone provide fresh water and heath care.

14. K720

K720

I don't see any Americans working in Haiti for a profit. They have rampant unemployment and a government so corrupt that it makes Illinois politicians seem honest. They have no real natural resources and there are no industries.

15. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

You new here? :rofl:

16. Kozel

Kozel

What is he going to do there? Clean up decomposing remains from ruins?

I mean why else would he go to Haiti of all places for dirty job?

17. tango44

tango44

Search Ericsson, they are rebuilding the Cell phones system in Haiti.

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

flip burgers and praise the lord you're not in haiti, is my heartfelt advice. get the best job you can get here and if somebody wants you to go to haiti, send them instead.

you do not want to be there. under any combination of circumstances whatsoever now or later. got it? it's not about modern codes, red cross, the UN, or making a nice wage for productive labor. It's about RUN if threatened with Haiti, FIGHT if they try to force you, avoid, evade, escape. Don't go there. NOT.

got that?