close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Job Physical Fitness Test

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Padre, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Padre

Padre

Hello all and thank you for taking my question.
    I am applying for a position with a company in Afghanistan. I am presently working in Iraq.
    My question is: One of the tests is that I must bench press my body weight (about 180 lbs) X 1.
    Now..I am not in BAD shape now but want to make certain that I pass this event.
    What types of exercise(s) should I concentrate on to achieve my results. I have until around the end of April to get ready for the test. There are other events also (1 mile run/180 pound dummy drag/stair relay event) but my main concern is the bench press.
    Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.
    Eagle

2. BradD

BradD

bench press...really

3. BradD

BradD

I guess I should ask a few questions and be clearer. How much can you bench now? Do you have regular access to a bench and a barbell? Are you already lifting regularly?

The idea is to do the bench press 2-3x per week between now and then. Pick a weight that you can get 6-7 times. Do that for 3-4 sets of 5. Next week, add the smallest increment of weight you can find, like two 1.25 lb plates or washers or two 2.5 lb plates if that's all you have. Repeat over and over again until you can't add weight again. As for other exercises, I'd just do standing overhead press and pullups as bench assistance exercises.

My opinions only.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I like the pullups suggestion as assistance. I feel like, the stronger I make my back, the more stable I am under the bar when I bench.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

This has come up before in the OLD H&F forum. A bunch of whack jobs posted in it so you may get some wild responses.

My input is this. Powerlifters game is one rep lifts. I recommend you train as a beginning powerlifter. Do some research.

Also, I think you should learn proper BP technique. That will add pounds to you BP as quickly as anything.

6. Padre

Padre

Thank you all for your great responses. Gives me a LOT of material to work with.
    Not sure how much I can lift right now. Haven't been to a gym in ages. I have access to a good gym here with benches and barbells.
    I thought the same about starting with how much I could comfortably lift and then adding weight. That is what I will start with tomorrow. Get an assessment of where I am ..then go from there.
    California Jack: Please excuse the ignorance...What is "BP"
    Again, thank you all...and I will keep you posted and probably ask more questions.
    Eagle

7. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

"BP" = "Bench Press"

It's important to learn the proper technique to avoid injury and to assure that the company you are testing with counts your repetition so you can pass.

8. BradD

BradD

As CJ said, learn good technique. You can get a good start on this by going to youtube and searching for Rippetoe bench press and watching all of the videos.

9. BradD

BradD

That's a good point also. What are the form standards? Do they require a pause at the bottom or is touch-and-go OK? Do they allow a big back arch as long as butt doesn't leave the bench? etc etc

10. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I would be doing BP 2-3 times per week, and doing dips and pushups as supplemental exercises in and out of the gym, and pull-ups where you have a bar available. The good news is this is very feasible to achieve a the few months that you have.

Just curious, are there other components to your test? Is there a running portion, sit-ups or some such? I ask because a BP test all by itself would seem strange to me.

11. Padre

Padre

Turbo Rocket: Yes, there are other components - 1 mile run (timed), relay stairs, 180 lb dummy drag (50 yards). I think that is all.

Thank you folks for the great advice. I will put ALL of it to good use.

Any more suggestions will be well received, and appreciated.

<P>

12. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Cool. Looks like a good test. What kind of job is this for? What's the time limit for the 1 miler? I think I would actually enjoy the dummy drag.

Keep us updated on how your training progresses. I'd be interested to know what you are benching now, what you are/will be doing for training, and when you achieve a BW BP. It's a nice live case study.

13. Padre

Padre

Job is for Embassy Security Response Team in Kabul, Afghanistan.
    Mile time (for my age) is 17 min 35 seconds or less (old fart age).
    180 lb dummy drag for 50 yards...and stair shuttle run (no time limit)
    Will keep you all informed on my progress..and again, thank you VERY much for your encouragement and ideas.
    Padre

14. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

That sounds like a fun job. Let us know how you make out.

15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Good deal, Padre. It does sound like a cool job. Look out for a guy in a tan sweater and a red canvas bag. :supergrin:

Stay safe over there.