close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Job Interview!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hyksos, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Hyksos

Hyksos

I just graduated with a BA in History from UF last month. I had an interview today with Suntrust Bank for an entry level teller position, I intend on working for a few years before maybe pursuing law school. The interview went well, i think I presented myself well and answered all the questions they asked well. They told me they have 2 other potential candidates to interview and I should know by early next week.

Now, I am making this post because I wanted to see if theres any bankers out there? I'm curious exactly how much career potential a teller position with a BA can offer me, I want to know what the advice of some seasoned GT'ers is in regard to a banking career. Or perhaps, a banking career vs eventually attending law school?

At the moment my options seem open, but truly I am unemployed and have been increasingly bored and tired of having no job related responsibility. I NEED something to fill the void that school left, so I decided to get a job and see where that takes me.

I'm already qualified to apply for law school in the Fall, I have taken the LSAT and have registered with the LSAC and have letters of reccomendation and my transcripts sent in. The original plan was to apply for law school and go in the Fall, so I would still need to get a job in the interim period, however the economic climate has made me question the large debt that I would incur as a result of law school. (UF and FSU law schools are only 11k/year, but I am unlikely to be accepted by either.)

Thanks for any tips you guys may have!

2. viniglock

viniglock

You really do not need a degree to be a bank teller and your chances in a career in banking are the same as the person with no degree.

3. Hyksos

Hyksos

I guess I meant moreso, what potential does a teller position offer someone with a BA? What are the abilities to move up in the company? I asked this question today to the branch manager and got an answer but it was more of a corporate answer. He told me about all these opportunities people have in multiple sectors of bankings, eventually leading to investments.

I was seeing if anyone could speak first hand as to whether or not advancement from a teller is possible, common, or uncommon?

4. viniglock

viniglock

I going to put in a very simple way, is not what you know that counts is who you know!

5. Hyksos

Hyksos

Well, what is your opinion then of a banking career? You seem to speak as if you have knowledge in the field, do you believe it to be a better option than law school?

EDIT:

Do you believe it to be a better option than law school when compared with the amount of debt that I would have as a result of law school?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  6. viniglock

viniglock

I believe banking and law go well together. If you do not posses a moral vacuum and or rubber skin, do not get into banking and or law. I have plentiful of knowledge and experience, and corporate America is not for everyone, if you are willing to play the game and sell your soul and be very careful, then you should make plenty of money. If you take the phone book you will see that almost half of the book are attorneys, if you don't go to an IVY League schools(this is where the who you know comes from) you are wasting your time and money, your ROI return will be very low to negative, and your end up either chasing ambulances and or working for government as an attorney. And with a Huge debt of course that will take you years before you get rid off it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

There are ALOT of broke lawyers out there. As far as the banking goes the poster that says it's who ya know is right. I have a relative with a BA and he is a teller with a large bank. He has good work ethic and is a good guy but has been "passed" over several times for promotions for other "qualified" individuals.:whistling:

8. Hyksos

Hyksos

Well, this came up once in the interview....my roommate that I have known for years is currently an FSR with Suntrust bank, and has worked there about 4 years. I dropped his name during the interview, and am hoping that assists with me being accepted to the position.