Job Counter Offer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by boofers20, Feb 10, 2020.

1. boofers20

boofers20

Looking for a little guidance...bear with me if it gets too long

I was contacted by a recruiter for a programmer analyst position about a month ago, I'm currently employed and thought, sure why not and sent them my resume. They setup a phone interview and I never thought it would get beyond that but they wanted an in-person, so I did that. Shortly thereafter they came back with an offer that was higher in salary and PTO time than my current employer. I thought it over the weekend and signed the offer. There was a post-offer drug and alcohol screening and background check that I did.

So this morning I put in my 2 week notice with my current employer, and they were stunned and disappointed, but my boss who've I've worked with many year at other places went to bat for me with the owner and came back with a counter offer that is ridiculous (much higher salary, more PTO time, ability to work from home 1 day a week)

I'm very conflicted, if I've already signed my offer letter am I legally bound to join their company?

treg, ZekerMan, cbetts1 and 6 others like this.
  2. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

How nice to be in demand......this whitey not so much

Good luck!

3. The Father

The Father

What does the letter say? Or just tell them you quit

light-switch and rayzer007 like this.
  4. rainman33

rainman33

I believe any offer letter is essentially a binding contract for voluntary employment. They can’t force you to work. Choose wisely. It sucks to have to threaten to quick to every time you want or deserve a decent raise.

catman71 and TBO like this.
  5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Sharkey, Ross-in-Pa and Ramjet38 like this.
  6. Jon_R

Jon_R

Maybe it will be a bidding war.

TBO and catman71 like this.
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Contact other job offer. (After reading what you signed). Tell them you reconsidered “the extra distance, whatever you can besides $$$”. Unless you feel your old job would be stressed.

Atomic Punk, nursetim and catman71 like this.
  8. sonoma

sonoma

Take the new job.If in the future you decide you like your old job better see if they will honor their latest offer.

TBO, catman71 and icantpick like this.
  9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Stand for something or fall for anything.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  10. OGW

OGW SAF

I guess you could ask your current employer why they didn't raise your salary before you accepted another job.

Either option (staying or quitting) carries some risk. Good luck.

11. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Do you think your current employer will can your ass in a month after they find your cheaper replacement?

12. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

This. If you were important to them they would’ve taken care of you in the first place.

13. glock_collector

glock_collector

As an employer, never did the employee bid war thing.... I know....once you start that, well be doing it again in 6 months or a year. AND If I was that worried about missing you after you left, I woulda paid ya more to start with.

14. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

A letter of offer is just that. They give an offer and you sign agreeing that you like it. Did you sign a do not compete? If not, they can't hold you to anything. I work for a large company. I send out LOO to people when I try to hire them. It just shows them that I am serious. I have had people back out after, because the company they work for offers them more to stay. It doesn't bother me. I just file it and tell them to give me a call, if things change. I might still hire them, I might not.
    Working from home sounds like a great perk, but it depends on your job. I work from a laptop, so my bosses don't care where I am at. One of the perks is that I can work from home. That doesn't work for me. Too many distractions and everything I need is in my office. I work from home a few days a year, if the wife wants me to. The only time it was nice was when I had my knee replacement.
    Like mentioned above, it does suck when you have to quit to get a raise. I try to never let my guys get to that point.

Cmacc, R*E, light-switch and 3 others like this.
  15. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

I would stay with your current tribe.
    They definitely want you to stick around and recognized your real value to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bohica793

bohica793

^^^^This. Been there, done that, learned the hard way. If the only way you can get a raise and better deal is threaten to quit, you don't need to be there in the first place.

17. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Or, oh **** a project is coming due, we don’t have anyone that can handle it and we need him here to finish it while we look for a replacement.

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

I would have ask for a raise before - but not used the other company as leverage -

I use to hate it when someone would come in and say -

XBZ Inc just offered me $85K - you either match it or I am leaving -

I always just said - sorry to see you go - - called HR had they cut a final check and walked them out the door - I had someone box up their stuff and send it to them.

You come in and say - I did this and that and think I should be worth more I was always willing to talk it over and if what they were saying was true I gave a raise.

A few times I had the guy come back and say - oh wait I don't want that other job!

I would then say - good luck finding another one - maybe when they find out XBZ offered you $85K they will hire you. I refused to be blackmailed.

---------

Since you are way past that - if you agreed to take the other job then only you can decide if your word is worth anything - if I agree to something I stand behind it.

If I was your employer and was in a real bind - I just couldn't replace you and needed you - I would maybe pay you more and offer you whatever to keep you -

Then work as hard as I could to find a way to replace you and when I had my ducks in a row I would fire you. More than likely it would be a cut back - sorry we don't need you anymore.

Maybe some think this is harsh or I was an a hole -- the last thing I wanted was for everyone in the company to think all they had to do to get a raise is tell me some other company was paying them more - life it too short.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  19. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

You need to see first if you signed a contract or what with the new company. If so, you could be sued and lose for breaching that contract. Don't know if it would happen but breaking a contract probably will have some consequences.

20. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Before you take any of the advice on here, you’d better read that damn letter. If you are still not sure if you are bound after you read it, contact an attorney. A local one.