Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stopped by Walley-World to pick up some WWB for an upcoming CHL class (.45). I don't really look at prices nor care to for ammo - if it is a WWB, I buy it. Unfortunately for me, Wal-Mart had only two boxes of .45 ammo so I bought them both.

Got a 50rd box of WWB and a 100rd box of Remington. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE when I got home and realized that this stuff was JHP rather than FMJ ammo! Hell, never seen "Personal Protection" WWB or Remington sold at Walley-World. I then looked at receipt and saw a $39.99 for the Remington and $29 for the WWB!!! Holy crappers!!!

They are both 230gr...so should not be a big issue if I want to use for training...do any of YOU carry this stuff as YOUR personal defense ammo? I may look somewhere else for FMJ and save this for later. Opinions.

WWB/Remington JHP 230gr .45

·
Banned
898 Posts
Streakpi, howdy from Nebraska. Not that it makes any difference, but I think you meant, per the pic you posted, that you got 100 Rem and 50 WWB. As far as if anyone carries the budget JHP stuff, I'm sure you are going to get replies that while it's ok , the latest versions would be a lot better, and they may be right, but I'm not one to get caught up in the " if it's not the latest, it's far inferior " crowd. I still carry .45acp 230 gr. FMJ ball at times depending on the temp. in my 1911's & Ruger P90, and old Fed. Hi-Shok 180 gr. JHP in .40 for the G22 , and if the SHTF, I wouldn't feel under powered for either. YMMV

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updated my post - thanks. I'm still a bit of a novice with ammo...just didn't know this stuff was available. I use Hornady Critical Defense in all my guns.

·
NativeFloridian
234 Posts
...do any of YOU carry this stuff as YOUR personal defense ammo?
Yep. Both my Stoeger Cougar 8045 and my Ruger P345 are loaded with it as we speak.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Streakpi, would you mind posting one or two good pics of the remington bullets? I have a few boxes of the winchester defense ammo in the closet. At that price I buy a box occasionally since it will do no worse than a fmj, and stands a chance of doing better. Kind of my bulk storage, not my everyday carry stuff. I am curious about the remington stuff. Never seen their UMC line of hollow points. Wonder what the bullet itself looks like.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
My G-22 is currently loaded with Remington .40 S&W 180 gr. JHP. When I take my S&W 625-2 with me in the woods, it is loaded with WWB 230 gr. JHP. In my area the Rem. .40 JHP run $34/100 rds. The WWB 230 JHP run about $28/50 rds. With each load POA is POI... same as with FMJ. So I can practice using less expensive FMJ loads. Works for me. Now... if Wal-Mart will only start carrying some WWB .44 Special loads (if they make such ammo). That way I can better afford to shoot my S&W 21 Thunder Ranch!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I wouldn't have any problem loading the Win PD ammo in .45s. Is there better out there, sure. I have shot a bunch at the range, and it has always grouped real well. For plinking I go w/ FMJs, but when I want to shoot a group, I'll toss some PD JHPs down range.

I have always been able to get Premium JHPs for my carry ammo for less, or close to the same price as the WM Win PD ammo, so I go w/ Rangers in .45.

FB

·
Registered
35,939 Posts
The bullet used in the Win 230grPD ammo is actually quite a good one for "old school", non bonded technology. In wtpack test, it runs right alongside the RGS or even the vuanted GoldDot for expansion & pepentration, even thru 2 layers of evil denim. Now the ammo quality, I have no idea, I don't buy it, but it is a decent performing bullet.

·
UtilitarianSect
1,327 Posts
I've seen the WWB Personal Protection 230 JHP's for $29.99 and $32.99 at different Wal-Marts in a single area. The last three boxes I purchased were at a Wal-Mart that has them at $19.99. I was always relatively sure that Wal-Mart charged the same price at all of its stores. I know that isn't true anymore, specifically from the purchase of this ammunition.

FYI, Winchester sells the same bullet for re-loaders and I've loaded over a thousand of them along with shooting the factory load. Both perform well and the round tends to mushroom handily (up to around .750" or more in my relative testing) without jacket separation. The expansion of the petals is quite nasty. Compared to 230 grain Gold Dots (factory and my own hand loads), my only hesitation would be using the Winchester Personal Protection rounds anywhere thicker clothing might be encountered. Simply put, they are a decent round for warmer weather. Gold Dots fit the bill when its cooler/cold.

All things being equal, I'd rather have a surgeon removing the Gold Dot from me rather than the Winchester round. :supergrin:

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I don't want to be phobic against any particular round buuuttttt...spent $110 on boxes of Hornady Critical Defense - 9mm (2 boxes), .40 (box) and .45 (2 boxes) to ensure my carry and HD guns fed and enjoyed their PD/HD ammo. I like HCD for the colder weather here in Kansas...may use the WWB/Remington this summer as I cycle my ammo.

Heck, I'm not a HUGE ammo/gun guy who has an armory ready for the zombies. Just want to have a tested and trusted HD and range ammo supply on hand. WWB just doesn't make me feel like I am throwing out the best if faced with zombie hordes from the Missouri river valley.

My .02 cents.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Before;

Riveted a bit, big hole through a big, tough sun bleached range cow bone;

By comparison, this .40 S&W Win bonded 180gr PDX bullet didn't fair as well;

Even lastest tech bonded bullets have their bad moments.

Bob :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Tested the Winchester USA .45 ACP 230 gr. JHP against a medium weight clothing barrier last summer:

It was fired from my HK USP45 with a 4.41 inch barrel and did very well in the MacPherson analysis.

Winchester USA .45 ACP 230 gr. JHP v. "medium" clothing barrier
Muzzle Velocity: 870
Impact Velocity: 865 fps
Test Distance to Impact Face: 21 ft / 7 yds / 6.4m
Average Recovered Diameter: 0.735 inches
Retained Mass: 229.2 grains (99.65%)

VCAV: 381.666 fps
Terminal Penetration Depth: 12.564 inches
Permanent Wound Cavity Mass: 2.196 ounces

Excellent performance.

:)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Riveted a bit, big hole through a big, tough sun bleached range cow bone;

By comparison, this .40 S&W Win bonded 180gr PDX bullet didn't fair as well;

Even lastest tech bonded bullets have their bad moments.

Bob :cowboy:
Nah, you just like doing "mean" things to bullets. :winkie:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I would take that bonded bullet any day. People aren't built like a sun dried large cow bone. The first bullet had no expansion and the hollow point just closed up being no better than a fmj. The second, bonded round expanded, dumped more energy and caused much more tissue distruction after penetrating the massive bone. Bonded for me and premium bullets for serious work every single time.

Bluntly we are talking about handgun rounds here not rifle rounds. It's like elk hunting with a 243. It can be done and if you plan on doing that you better invest in the best bullet possible for the situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts