close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

JHP Reloads in Ruger LCP

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jortega, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jortega

jortega Earl & Efren

I just bought a Ruger LCP at a gun show. All of the factory ammo was really expensive and I only had $25 left and was not about to leave without .380 ammo because I knew that I would not find any once I left.

I found a guy selling tons of reloads and he was selling 50 rounds of JHP reloads for $25 so I picked some up.

Should these rounds be ok to shoot? The guy seemed to have a thriving business and I will inspect as much as I can with the naked eye.

Thanks for your input!

2. PBKing

PBKing

I'll have to get back with you on Monday. I got my Midway Shipping notice telling me my Crystal ball was shipped on Thursday and should be here Monday.
    You know, I was running a RCBS Crystal Ball but it was heavy and expensive. I am on my 2nd Lee Crystal Ball and you know, even though it is made of plastic It predicts just as accurately( at 1/8 the price)...go figure

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010

3. BK63

BK63

I don't know about somebody elses reloads. I have an LCP and I had to try a few different loads before I got something to function 100% in it but thats loading my own. Should have asked him what they are loaded with. I loaded up all my empties and put them away. Not something I shoot a lot but I think it was a 95 grain bullet I loaded and 4 grains of Unique. I think it was the max for that cartridge but thats what I needed for the gun to function 100%. I carry gold dots and have shot a lot of those and they also function 100%.

4. PBKing

PBKing

Reloads are a crap shoot. I only buy them for component value, and thats a drasticly discounted value..
    There is no way to insure these loads are safe.
    I can tell you that the LCP's I load for with JHP like to run around .965 to feed well. MG 95gr JHP and W231.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  5. PBKing

PBKing

Was wondering if you might be able to pull them down and loadem up. 50 bullets aint many. I have pulled down 200 in one sitting before. ^#$@#$& Squib.
    I apologize if I am assuming to much but since your in the Reload forum..

6. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

My personal choice is that I'll gladly (OK maybe not gladly) be stuck with no ammo before I resort to buying crap-shoot reloads from some guy at a gun show. Those guys know they are reloading to sell them, and it's a certainty they are in a real hurry to do as many as possible in the minimum time.

It's just not something I trust a stranger with. In fact, I only have a few certain friends who I'd trust to reload ammo for me when I'm not watching. Most people I know are not meticulous enough to meet my approval on this subject, even if they were not in a hurry.

7. Pete789

Pete789

I load for my LCP also. Mostly 95 grain jacketed round nose, also some 100 grain truncated cone. 4.2 grains of Alliant Unique gives me 893 ft./sec. muzzle velocity, 3.2 grains of Bullseye gives me 865.7 ft./sec. mv, and 4.2 grains of Ramshot Silhouette gives me 749 ft./sec. mv The 100 grain with Bullseye gives me 867 ft./sec. mv. For my money that is good for the LCP. I have put over 800 rounds through mine with no problems.
    I agree on pulling and reloading those you bought assuming you reload.

8. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I agree with above......I wouldn't trust reloads from someone I don't know.....safest would be to pull them and reload them yourself.......probably not what you want to hear, but better to be safe the KB your new gun and risk injury to yourself.

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

They are as good as the guy who made them and the attention he took while he made them. So frankly. No one knows.

10. dkf

dkf

THis is an old thread.

Regardless the way it sounds from the OP the guy that made the reloads was in business selling ammo. There is a better chance that the ammo will be ok if he was/is a licensed and insured business selling ammo.