Jesse Ventura: Navy SEAL or UDT?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GTFord1, Oct 13, 2010.

1. GTFord1

GTFord1

I was just listening to Jesse's interview on Howard Stern from earlier this morning. He repeatedly refers to himself as a Navy SEAL, even in this interview. Howard even asked him about the Navy SEALS sweater he was wearing. I don't really follow him, so I didn't know this about him. That being said, I've always like Jesse as a personality, and that isn't going to change. I think he has some interesting ideas on things.

Out of curiosity on his early life, I started reading a few things, and, supposedly he, if not through outright lies, but rather through omission, he likes people to believe he led a mysterious and super-macho military career, like so many people pretend to do.

His Wiki article has a brief synopsis of the controversy:

This website has collected all of the numerous times he's referred to himself as a Navy SEAL:

http://cursor.org/stories/how_candid.htm

http://cursor.org/stories/seal_or_udt.htm

What say you military people? Should he actually be calling himself a Navy SEAL? Also in interviews, even this morning's one with Howard Stern, he refers to having been in combat, albeit in non-direct ways, despite the fact he didn't get a Combat Action Ribbon, and has previously stated he didn't.

He certainly likes to create the illusion he was an elite killing machine, whether he was or not.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

That's perfectly normal in the pro wrestling business isn't it?

3. DonMcnut

DonMcnut

He was a SEAL in Predator wasn't he? That totally counts.

4. GTFord1

GTFord1

Well, yeah. He earned a Minigun ribbon with three gold stars in that movie, you know.

Edit:

I just listened to the end of the original Stern interview I was talking about, and he started going on a big tangent about conspiracy theories. That was a little out there.

5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

A little white lie never hurt anyone, now did it?

6. JBnTX

JBnTX

Remember now, he's a politician.

What he says is what he means, unless you question it, then it means
    whatever he says it means or what ever will make you believe what he
    said was true, even if it's not.

7. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Good point. :supergrin:

8. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

While I appreciate anybody who serves our nation with honor and integrity, I lose respect for people who turn their service into something it isn't. If you were a Seal/Ranger/Special Black Ops, be proud of it and know that you are appreciated for what you've done for our country. If you were a dishwasher/mess hall cook/barracks janitor, the same applies. You served this great nation and other servicemen and should be proud and are appreciated. However, don't make it into something it is not. No matter what position you served in.

9. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

good ole sargent slaughter.

[​IMG]

10. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

I have heard him talk about the difference before on some talk show and I think he admits that he was UDT instead of a SEAL. In his defense I think he was a UDT BEFORE the SEAL's came into being so he couldn't be a SEAL at the time. I think what he was a part of can readily be called the precursor to the SEAL teams. At least that's how I interpreted his comments. I always thought he was in combat though and have never heard any different. I'll have to check out the links and see what they say about his combat experience.

On another front, Ventura has officially crossed into TOTAL NUTJOB status. If you think he was a KOOK when he was wrestling, you ain't seen nothing compared to now. He believes all these weirdo conspiracy theories like 9/11 was an inside job, HAARP is being used as a mind control weapon, Hugo Chavez is a swell guy and people love him in Venezuela, the Bilderburgs control the world and on and on. One of his biggest buds is Alex Jones if that tells you anything. I know some people will say that he only puts up a front to support his show on SyFy. No way. I have heard him interviewed many times and he absolutely believes everything that he says and I have heard him say quite a bit of KOOKY stuff, stuff that normal people laugh at. What really turned me off on him was hearing him disrespect President Bush. You don't have to like the man, and I don't like Obama at all, but at least give him the respect that is due his office. He certainly demands it when he's being interviewed as I have seen him tell the person questioning him to refer to him as GOVERNOR as he earned his title. He's such a joke.

One more thing, he also claims that about 20 CIA agents visited him in the Governors mansion a couple of days after he was elected to ask him questions and get him to "work" with them on some of their projects. He has totally lost all sense of reality.

Nalajr

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The closest he ever got to being a SEAL was balancing a ball on his nose. HH

12. Cambo

Cambo

Anthony Cumia(of Opie and Anthony) has been doing a dead on impression of him the past few days.:rofl:

13. GTFord1

GTFord1

Yeah, he started getting into the kooky conspiracy theories near the end of that interview. He really started going off the rails, but the time was up.

Also, the SEALS did exist at his time of service, they just hadn't merged with UDT yet, as per my understanding. He was, at that point, in fact not in the Navy SEALS. However, by today's meaning, he was.

Point being, is it really accurate for him to repeatedly call himself a SEAL? To the outsider, there seems to be some interpretation that can be done on that point.

14. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

No,.....my uncle was UDT. He has never claimed to being a SEAL.
    He always said SEALs were "......a bit different, they jump out of planes, we just blow **** up!"
    He spent 2 tours in Vietnam with the "Black Water Navy" on PBRs.

15. John43

John43

Was in the Phillippines, Vietnam 67-68. I was with VAP-61, photo recon squadron, we hung out in PI at the Bayview club upstairs and UDT 11 hung out downstairs, they were mean SOB's anyway you look at it.

16. tongix

tongix

He is more showmanship than real SEAL . A real SEAL or UDT dont reveal much of themselves, of what they do, they did and had done.

17. Rakkasan

Rakkasan

Most people that have been there, done that don't need to reassure themselves and everyone else of the things they have accomplished.

18. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Considered a SEAL among many. Not considered a SEAL by a few.
    I will go with what one authenticator says and who has access to the SEAL database from Class 0 onward. James Janos is the real deal(BUD/s class 58). His brother Jan was BUD/S class 49. Both assigned on UDT-12 together.

19. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Naw, since leaving the Govs position, he's just found a new hobby.

Money.

And just as with his wrestling career, he has learned to take money from anyone dumb enough to listen to and/or believe him.....and anyone who isn't.

Actually not a bad plan, take money from those who love you and those who hate you. Just take the money.

20. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Well wait a minute here. If he is, why would he say he wasn't sometimes?

If he really is, why not be proud of it and kick the butt of anyone who said he wasn't?

I don't understand why, if there's no argument from the school....he would ever say he wasn't.

I'm just trying to add things up.....and 2+2 keeps coming up 5.