Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
As a LEO, we are trained to shoot from inside a vehicle and out through both the side windows and windshield.

It has been my experience that deflection through pristine glass, both side and windshield, offers little to no deflection. And it does not require multiple rounds to open a "window of opportunity" to shoot through.

If you want to try it, visit a local junk yard and purchase a windshield. Just remember to place the windshield at an angle that approximates an installed windshield.

I will add this caution...we shot from inside a vehicle and the subsequent blast and debris scatter is significant. As always, wear both ear and eye protection.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Hey Joe remember having to drop the seat back when doing some of these drill, my Academy days were in the mid 90's but we would use our left hand to pull the seat lever, draw, shoot, and scoot, nowadays my vehicle has electronic seat adjustment and it would take forever to get my seat to the sleep position, but back in the day we had a lot of junk yard vehicle training on the range, never failed to impress me the bullet holes in the car roof and dash from the inside either.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey Joe remember having to drop the seat back when doing some of these drill...
A couple of the officers participating in our last training session found out their particular holsters would not allow them to draw their sidearm in the seated position unless they sufficiently bent forward at the waist...it was an eye-opening moment for them.

So, if a holster (not mentioning any brands/styles here) requires the weapon to be canted backwards to draw, be aware of this when seated.

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
We do this every year. I have junk cars hauled into the range and have my guys run drills from inside. Gets especially fun when you run two with carbines

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I've read that bullets fired at windshields from the outside standing position deflect downward, and from a seated position inside a vehicle deflect upward. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
I've read that bullets fired at windshields from the outside standing position deflect downward, and from a seated position inside a vehicle deflect upward. Anyone know if this is true?
Yes to some degree. Depends largley at the angle you are shooting from as well (standing and shooting down into the windshield will deflect less). Heavier bullets tend to deflect less (think 45). Once a couple of holes have been created in the windshield there is less deflection.

Reactions: APERS

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It's simple physics. The bullet moves in the direction of the thinnest glass. Going out, due to the angle of the glass ; the top of the bullet exits the glass before the bottom so it deflects upwards.
Coming in it is reversed. If the rear glass is angled the effect will be reversed from the windshield for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
A couple of the officers participating in our last training session found out their particular holsters would not allow them to draw their sidearm in the seated position unless they sufficiently bent forward at the waist...it was an eye-opening moment for them.

So, if a holster (not mentioning any brands/styles here) requires the weapon to be canted backwards to draw, be aware of this when seated.
Quality info right here. I had a certain holster I wont name, that this was a major issue. From an IDPA/shooting from inside a vehicle, standpoint. It's long gone and I fail to remember the brand or model. Point is, new gun owners can get into IDPA, or better yet, invest in some basic and advanced handgun classes. Eye opening how you're gear may, or may not work when applied.
.2 cents worth.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When shooting through auto glass windshields always burn a hole through it with multiple shots you can never rely on a one shot through a windshield to hit the target. Watch some of Aaron Cowan vids at sage dynamics he has a great vehicle class I was lucky to have attended

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have
As a LEO, we are trained to shoot from inside a vehicle and out through both the side windows and windshield.

It has been my experience that deflection through pristine glass, both side and windshield, offers little to no deflection. And it does not require multiple rounds to open a "window of opportunity" to shoot through.

If you want to try it, visit a local junk yard and purchase a windshield. Just remember to place the windshield at an angle that approximates an installed windshield.

I will add this caution...we shot from inside a vehicle and the subsequent blast and debris scatter is significant. As always, wear both ear and eye protection.
I have done this type of shooting and you are correct as you can get accurate good hits with ease, the one factor is when you exit the car be careful you don't flag yourself with the muzzle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts