Jeff Cooper

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Allegra, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Allegra

Allegra

2. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Yup, Jeff Cooper was a great shooter/instructor, and was a prolific writer as well... he wrote so much on the subject of firearms that his column in Guns & Ammo is still active!

Thanks for sharing the video!

3. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

O? KS. Welcome back to the land of the living. Magaling ka na? Kamusta sa sanitarium?

4. zorkd

zorkd

i'd be so thankful if i could have been in that classroom

5. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

after thousands of rounds downrange, I still find it difficult to have the "surprise break" in my shots...or maybe consciously remember it after the shot. But if I do make it,the shot is exactly were my sights were aimed. And I can precisely call the shot.

The very first time I experienced it just thrilled me to the bones, I had a very strange sensation mentally and physiologically. It was akin to fear but was not. Up to now I can still experience it from time to time when I consciously do it in slow fire mode.The feeling arises just before the break, and make me feel like I was afraid to continue the trigger pressure thru the break and beyond. The feeling is so strong that if I succumb to it, it usually made my trigger finger pause w/c is detrimental as the pressure should be consistent and continuous through out the firing cycle in order to make a surprise break.

Hope my ramblings make sense. At least that how it is to me.

6. Allegra

Allegra

The only time i'm aware of it is when i'm zeroing a gun
    Talagang slow fire
    Sakin surprise break is when your finger automatically pulls the trigger when the sights are aligned w/ the target, WITHOUT thinking about it
    So if your thinking about it , aniticpating it , then makikialam na utak mo
    So relax and let your finger do it's job

7. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Quite correct, but I need to make sure that I was not "grabbing the sight" as this automatic technique can cover-up this unwanted "grabbing" easily as it could appear like my trigger pull is controlled by my sight pic, w/c actually it is but in a different way. So, from time to time I do it a bit slow and conscious of my trigger movement while my eyes are monitoring my sights to make sure Im doing it right.

Another factor that affects me a lot is the type of trigger. W/ the single action trigger of a 1911, I find it harder to have a surprise break as compared to a Glock's DA trigger. Maybe because my brain can easily locate the single action break along its very short and crisp trigger travel. But contrary to common expectation, I found this difficulty to my advantage as I use this self knowledge to practice the 1911 trigger w/ the "surprise break" always at the back of my mind. Not that Im really good at it now.