close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jeep Patriot anyone?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nestor, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Hello everyone,
    looks like within the next 12 months my wife may be forced to replace her 2006 vehicle with a new one.
    She works as a community nurse (home care provider) within the mixed town-rural area.
    Snow, rain, bad roads...doesn't matter...people still need help from her, so 4x4 would be nice.
    I can use fairly decent discount (job related) from Chrysler (plus cheaper parts and service).
    Since we are rather simple people (family of 3), there is no need for any fancy vehicle here - utility and price are our main priorities.
    Must be easy to clean (big & messy dog is another member of our family).
    She strongly prefers the manual transmission.
    I recently looked at Jeep Patriot and it fits the bill nicely, but I would like to ask the owners for your opinion about this SUV.
    Good or bad...bring it on, please.
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Chrysler product?

No thank you.

3. BobRicks

BobRicks

I bought a plain basic Jeep Patriot brand new in 2008. It has a/c and a am/fm radio with cd. I have to manually roll down the windows, and manually unlock the doors, and it does not have a cruise control. I got the one with the CV transmission.

I just paid it off two months ago. It now has about 49K miles on it, and it has been to the shop twice since I purchased it. Once for a seat belt issue that was covered under warranty,and once for a computer glitch where it just needed re-programming.

I change my oil every 3000 miles, and use Penn-Z-Oil 5W-30, and other than the two above mentioned incidents, it has been a GREAT ride. I am rough on vehicles, as I don't wash them often nor clean out the interior often, and this one has held up quite well.

With the auto transmission and 4 cylinder engine, it only gets about 20 mpg in the city, and 25 mpg on the highway, and that is the only complaint I have about it. It does everything I need it to do.

I am going to trade it in next year, as I feel like I need to get another pick up truck, but I would not hesitate to purchase another Patriot after owning this one.

4. vart

vart

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Compact-SUVs/

5. vart

vart

The Jeep Patriot ranks at or near the bottom of every list that ranks small SUVs...

Buy it!

I traded in my Sig Sauer on a Hi-Point because I'm a Hi-Point man, just like my daddy...

My Hi-point has never malfunctioned in the dozens of rounds I have shot through it and I don't know why people bad mouth them.

It's critics are a bunch of anti-American, anti-union commies...

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thanks Bob. Thanks everyone else.
    I've learnt that all the rankings that are out there are worth only as much as one wants to believe in them. We currently own two American made (actually one was made in Canada and one in Mexico :) ) cars that are not high in any rankings ...and they never were as far as I'm concerned...yet over the last 5 years we experienced ZERO problems with them. Only scheduled maintenance. Back in Europe we had however quite a few Toyota products that were suppose to be near the top in their respective categories and guess what? Yes, we had quite a busy service schedule with them.
    So, that's exactly why I would like to hear from the owners of the Patriots.
    Enjoy your day :wavey:

7. FCastle88

FCastle88

I used to have a Cherokee, biggest POS I've ever had. Between me and the previous owner I think we replaced pretty much everything electronic in that vehicle. The 4WD worked about half the time, and even with decent snow rated all-terrain tires it was terrible in the rain and snow. Jeep has consistently gotten terrible reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. I work with a bunch of Jeep fanatics, the ones with older Jeeps they bought used are always talking about what they need to fix this week. The ones who buy new Jeeps always seem to trade-in on a new one about the time the warranty runs out.

If she really wants a manual the Forester is one of the few small SUV's/crossovers that are available with a manual, and it gets very good reliability ratings. It will also hold up to bad roads and light off-roading better than most other vehicles in the class. Sounds like it would be perfect for what you need.

The RAV4 and CR-V are reliable but have cheap suspensions that aren't going to hold up well to a lot of driving on very rough roads. The RAV4 especially bounces and sways all over the place on rough roads. They're also only available with automatic transmissions. The CR-V has a more solid build and the nicer interior out of the two.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  8. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

There is a new 2014 Forester coming soon and we sure will take a look at one, however the prices are way higher than we would like to spend and there is no authorized Subaru service in our town. Even in near-by city there is only one dealer very, very far away from us. May not work at all with her busy schedule. Thanks though!

9. moeman

moeman

I don't even like them as a rental car. They are one of the worst... The Dodge nitro is as crappy too.

10. JMS

JMS 02

Toyota Matrix AWD

11. vettely

vettely

I have 2010 Challenger R/T (Dodge/Chrysler) and it has been a fantastic car and makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel.

[​IMG]

12. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

That would be a very nice choice for sure, but I believe it's no longer offered here in Canada and when it was, the prices were on level with some pretty decent trucks. Good idea though.

13. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

That is one, good looking machine :cool:
    Congratulations!

14. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I have seen how Chrysler transmissions are manufactured, recently.

There is no possibility I would ever buy any Chrysler product.

15. vart

vart

Sooo... Because of your limited experience that flies in the face of the established statistical data, you will no longer believe in the gut-wrenchingly honest mathematical truth and are instead wanting to hear from a couple of owners to base your family's future financial well-being on?

If that is really how you want to get information, then why don't you go to a forum of Jeep Patriot owners and ask them?

Or have you and didn't like what you found?
    http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Page one included multiple threads on problems...

16. John_NJ

John_NJ

You can do a lot better with a Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, or Mazda CX5. I would consider any of these before the Jeep Patroit - they have very questionable quality.

17. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Adam, who cares what it's rating is. If you buy it new it will be under warranty for years, and most dealers have loaner cars. Get as little electronic accesssory crap as you can and go with the basics.

It's hard to believe you've been in Canada that long.

18. dan1488

dan1488

good for you, all I own is Jeep products and have had no problems. If you have ever looked in any restaurants kitchen you would never eat out also.

19. dan1488

dan1488

Supposedly statistical data says 80-90% of Americans want universal background checks, I don't believe it one bit. I could search any Toyota or Honda forum and find the same stuff.

20. vart

vart