close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

jeep guys

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by startat2, Feb 25, 2010.

1. startat2

startat2

So I have been looking for a while for a jeep. I'm not the type that will take it off roading or anything crazy, but want one for when there is snow on the ground, and for fishing and camping (My trans am isn't the best for either ). Because of this I have decided I want something older and used. Looks are not an issue, just something that runs well and is cold weather capable.
    I found this guy http://www.jeepsunlimitedamarillo.co...?vid=108264554 and drove it yesterday. It has a rebuild 360 (the power is nice) a small lift, and some other goodies. There are a few things wrong. It has a minor tear in the soft top, and the fuel gauge dosn't read (simple fix) My main question is, is $4000 to much for a jeep of this age with a newer motor? I figured I would offer them 3k, and start from there. Its also 3spd manual, and 4x4 works like a dream.

2. k9medic

k9medic

I'm on my 8th jeep in 12 years. Just picked up a 1997 Tj with 115K miles for $3300.00.

No rust, never been messed with. I'd hold off a little longer to see what you can get.

3. Shasta69

Shasta69

i just got into jeeping. known numerous folks who've been jeepers all there life and realize, jeeps are addictive.

you didn't mention your mechanical and electrical abilities as most jeeps will eventually need some work to keep them on the road.

the jeep your looking at has a narrow track axles which are 4" shorter than those from the late 1982's on to 1986. if your going to spent that much money, i would seriously look at that 85 renegade with 6 cylinder and 110K miles. i'm a sucker for classics and if you can spend a little more money upfront for a complete all original the better (imho).

i would look hard at CL in the southern states (rust free belts). there are deals that spring up constantly.

additionally check this site. http://www.jeepforum.com/

there are alot of great folks on this site who are more than willing to share their life experiences.

if and when you decide on a "heep", you need to share with the usual proud parent photos here or there (jeepforums).

much luck!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. startat2

startat2

Sounds like good advice, I just found a 78 cj7 today on craigslist for 2500$ gonna go check it out tonight. The fresh motor was a big plus on that cj5. Im a decent shade tree mechanic, and because of that I was specifically looking for an older one than a newer one. A v8 is almost a must, but ive heard the i6 isn't bad. What are common issues with these old guys?

5. cj5mrt

cj5mrt

The I6 is a great motor. Simple to work on and about bullet-proof. With a little maintenance they seem to run forever. I regret selling my 79 cj5, but will be looking for another cj/yj soon.

Mike

ETA Upgrading the ignition on the older I6's is almost a necessity. I put an HEI out of an older chevy on mine.

6. whoever

whoever

On my 8th Jeep here as well. Can't wait to get rid of the three I currently own.

7. startat2

startat2

Does the I6 make plenty of power? I guess why 4000$ dosn't seem outrageous to me is I'm sure it cost at least 1k to get a 360 and rebuild it. Ive found a few for around 2500-3, but if I were to rebuild the motor, id be out at least 600$ just on a rebuid kit (thats just a guess). The top is no major deal, and I imagine all these older ones that have been drove like a jeep will have at least a little bit of surface rust... In the long run I dont really want to mod it, I just want something that runs well, and is reliable. I dont expect perfection for this price range, but want to ensure that I dont spend 2500 and what is a cheaper vehicle, but then end up spending more to rebuild necessary things... How bullet proof and how many miles can that I6 take and typical owners see out of them if well maintained?

8. Shasta69

Shasta69

my 78 with the 258 has nearly 230K miles.

the transmission (the T150 3-speed) and Dana 20 transfer case has never been gone through.

the engine i currently have has 140K miles and does not burn any oil and has plenty of highway / mild off roading. the previous and original engine had 100K miles before it was pulled with a new clutch added.

i just recently changed out the rear main seal after seeing the dreaded puddle of gloom. changing out the seal (and while I was there, boiled out the radiator, new water pump, new timing chain, t-stat and associated gaskets) she's back on the road leak-free. i did a ignition system upgrade, known as the team rush, with really no significant gains noted. for what i use this jeep for (a daily driver) i could have used the money for fuel. inspections of what i could see of the piston skirts, cylinder walls and camshaft wasn't anything surprisingly.

there are so many parts for these heeps than toys for tots for xmas.... you'd be surprised.

i believe i located the jeep your looking at: you need to see how the floorpans are in that one. not that it's a deal breaker for $2500, but if the vehicle has been in TX all it's life, chances are the body damage is more dent related (read been off-roaded pretty good) Vs rusted out. the 78 has disc brakes up front. tach and clock on the dash makes me think the owner has tried to give the 78 a Laredo look even though they were not made till 1981ish. 304 is a very good engine with most owners wanting more and bumpt it up to the 360 which you previoulsy noted. the automatic trans make me believe there will be a vaccum operated switch in the glovebox to engage the front (4x4) drive. if the hardtop and doors are in very good condition, you can always part it out and nearly get half your money back from the asking price if you decide jeeps aren't for you. if you go that route.. call me ;-)

btw, theres another cj7 (1980) on the board that appears to be in better shape with more goodies for the same price IMHO.

much luck!

lastly i need to add a photo... just because it's a jeep thing

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

I was a die hard cj/tj guy then I bought an xj and have never looked back. Plenty of room for the family and gear. The 4.0 is a great engine for this jeep or you can try to find a zj with a factory v8. I say look for a 92-01 xj. If any "jeep guys" tell you an xj is not a real jeep, they are not real jeep guys. My .02 cents.

10. gigab1te

gigab1te

The inline 6 has all the power you will ever need for off road driving. My 1980 CJ5 climbs mountainsides like a mule on steroids.

11. JBaird22

JBaird22

I am very much a Jeep guy and this is after I started my motoring life as an early bronco guy. There is something just so right about the way they ride, the way they turn and maneuver.

I would keep my mind open to all years and look for a bargain. But then if I were to buy an older jeep, it would be a flat fender.

12. Reagan40

Reagan40

I rebuilt a '78 CJ 5 several years ago. I really put a lot of money into it, and it was beautiful when it was finished. I never should have sold it. Mine had the 258 inline 6. I took it off road and in the snow a lot. I would not have put a V8 in it if you gave me the motor and paid me for my time. A friend of mine has a CJ with a V8. He has had to do far more maintenance on his motor than I had to. Perhaps he has more power on paper, but my Jeep would easily keep up with his in rough conditions. Oh, and he went through a lot more gas than I did. On the other hand, another friend has a CJ with the 232 inline 6 in it. It is just as rugged as the 258, but did seem to be lacking in power.

13. startat2

startat2

Which board are you talking about?? I think I missed the 1980. Your post helped more than any of them. I drove that green one with the 360 again today, but am gonna hold off to look at that cj7 on monday. I talked to the guy and he stated the rust was on the rockers. I had already considered getting rid of the hard top and doors. For my use it would be nice for winter time, but not near as nice for those summer camping trips and i think a soft top would serve me better. The only bad thing about the one for 2500 is that it will need wheels and tires. He said he would let me have them for 3500 total, but im sure i could get him down on the price some with cash in hand. Its parked on the side of town I work, so I may swing by during my midnight hours :D. Either way I'm super excited and know what I want, but im trying to be as smart as possible and spend my money wisely.... Write me a book shasta!

14. startat2

startat2

PS: Your talking about the black one for 2500$, I called that guy and emailed him and never heard back... I need to try again

Also, how hard are the diffs and transfer cases to rebuild? I'm a muscle car guy and dont know much about 4x4 but I always hear (on lots of things but jeeps) "yea, but the 4x4 is out". How hard/expensive is a 4x4 system to repair??

15. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

just like a rear end in a hot rod but up front, as for the t-case it depends on which model. You have two basic differences, chain vs gear driven. Chains can be shifted on the fly so to speak into 4wd, gears you have to stop to engage but are much stronger.

16. mikem04rubi

mikem04rubi

Im on my 4th.

Attached Files:

17. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

That. IS a sweet jeep.

18. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member Millennium Member

Nice Jeep Mike. 3 Jeep guy here, my first was a 69 Jeepster Commando. Then along came a 49 Willys CJ 2a followed by a 83 CJ 7. The saying "JEEP stands for just empty every pocket" has been true in my experience.

RD

19. Shasta69

Shasta69

20. AK2AZ

AK2AZ It`s cold here.

IMO, if you want something that will drive well on the highway with a load then you should look towards a TJ (97+). Older (pre-83) CJs have narrow track width, poor rear axle (AMC 20) and igniton/carb issues. Above all CJs handle poorly even on good surfaces. I have owned two V8 76 CJs and have a TJ and there is simply no comparison. My TJ w/9" lift drives better than a completely rebuilt stock height CJ. Some of the reasons are swaybars, track width, and steering configuration. I would lean you towards a 98 TJ (they resolved the 97 problems for 98) with a budget boost (2" spacer lift), 31" A/T tires, and an auto tranny (helps with too high factory gearing). The 4.0 I6 was argueably one of the best motors on the market (mine has survived 90K of total abuse) and the 3-speed TF999 auto is solid. Stay away from the I4 motors...they have a heck of a time pulling themselves around and also the AX-5 tannies.

BTW, the link doesn`t work from your first post so I can`t really tell what you were looking at but the 360 should be a red flag because IIRC they weren`t a factory motor and would have a hard time with a visual inspection if they have them in your area. The 304 was mated to the 3-speed for CJs. I had 3-speed problems with both of mine and a friends FYI.

Anywho, if you need any other info fire away.:supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010