Jeep guys chime in!

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by startat2, Feb 25, 2010.

1. startat2

startat2

So I have been looking for a while for a jeep. I'm not the type that will take it off roading or anything crazy, but want one for when there is snow on the ground, and for fishing and camping (My trans am isn't the best for either :rofl:). Because of this I have decided I want something older and used. Looks are not an issue, just something that runs well and is cold weather capable.
    I found this guy http://www.jeepsunlimitedamarillo.com/vehicledetails.aspx?vid=108264554 and drove it yesterday. It has a rebuild 360 (the power is nice) a small lift, and some other goodies. There are a few things wrong. It has a minor tear in the soft top, and the fuel gauge dosn't read (simple fix) My main question is, is $4000 to much for a jeep of this age with a newer motor? I figured I would offer them 3k, and start from there. Its also 3spd manual, and 4x4 works like a dream.:embarassed:

2. startat2

startat2

PS. I have cash in hand :D

3. Mwildt

Mwildt

I'm not a Jeep guy, I own an Early Bronco ;) . But, for ~$4k you should be able to get a Jeep fairly easy that will do exactly what you want without putting additional money into it and a hard top to boot. You're pretty much paying for the motor rebuild, overall appearance of the vehicle and personally, that motor is probably a little overkill in that vehicle for what you want to do, just my opinion. Also, their isn't much room in the CJ5s. The CJ7s have a lot more room compared to the 5s. May want to consider that if you're going to be hauling another person with you and a lot of gear.

Having said all that, if you can get it for a little less than $3k it's probably a good deal. Expect to put another $4-500 in it though for a pile of little things that will need to be replaced. Items such as fluids, plugs, wires, bearings, brakes and what not add up quick.

4. azatrox

azatrox

Get a CJ-7 if you must have a CJ, as mentioned for the extra room, and better ride due to the extended wheel base. Better yet, save up a few more $$ and get a TJ or LJ. Different animal all together, more capable, more comfortable. You'll thank me.