Jeb bush As A Symbol

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Silas.soule, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

Today, I heard that Jeb Bush is a convert to Catholicism. He is aligned with his church, in that he has long worked for taxpayer support of religious schools in Florida, K-12. This despite the fact that Florida has a "Blaine Amendment" to its state constitution which prohibits giving taxpayer dollars to religious groups (38 states so amended thier constitutions in the 1870's when separation of church and state was all the rage, and the Catholic church was seeking tax support for its K-12 schools). The strugle still goes on in Florida:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...and-state-at-the-heart-of-amendment-8/1257978

Today's conservatism isn't our grand daddies' conservatism. I wish Jeb valued religion independent of, and NOT beholden to, government, the way Catholic John F. Kennedy did.

2. JBnTX

JBnTX

A little more religion in government just might be a good thing.

The founding fathers were not infallible. Their country back then and our country today, bear no resemblance to each other.

I don't think they'd be pleased with how we treat religion in this country.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Pro-Choice means whether to pay taxes for a government controlled school, or whether to give up that government controlled school and take that tax voucher into the free market to purchase a spot in any private school of your choice.

It can be a catholic school, a secular school, an advanced school, a party school, a technical school, a different school each year.

Let the people decide where their taxes will go, let's see how competitive the teachers' unions can become when they see students flocking to non-government charter schools.

I support school choice, because I'm not a statist.

refugeepj, SJ 40, snerd and 1 other person like this.
  4. Paul7

Paul7

I'm not a Catholic, but the Blaine Amendment was nothing but anti-Catholic bigotry.

Is it wrong for Catholic hospitals to get medicaid? For vets under the GI Bill to go to seminary? I don't think so. What we need is school choice to bread up the teacher's unions monopolies, with kids using their vouchers to attend any school they wish.

5. TxGun

TxGun

Almost nobody here cares about Jeb Bush. However, I suspect almost everybody here cares about your thoughts on him, or anything else, a hell of a lot less.

snerd likes this.
  6. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

You say that like it's a bad thing!

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  7. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

Well, you good folks know I disagree. Just because -some- advocates of Blaine Amendments were bigots does not mean all were. That great President, Ulysses S. Grant, advocated them, and separation of church and state. Flash forward 100 years to the 1970's and you see a Catholic activist actively courting Protestant conservatives in an attempt to get tax dollars: Richard Viguerie

Today, we see a Muslim group being the largest operator of charter schools in America: the Gulan movement. Gulan isn't wacko, but you know the wackos are next in line for the tax dollars. Thanks for opening a can of worms, Bishops and Protestant conservatives.

"The number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the state." --- James Madison
    Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jamesmadis404099.html#QqsWcSv5poB9KpGK.99

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  8. ChuteTheMall

It appears that you have issues with religion.

Someday it should occur to you that we have a Religious Issues forum for this purpose.

I don't know if you are a quick learner, or a persistent troll.

We shall see.

9. TeaDub

TeaDub

There are plenty of reasons to beat up on Jeb. This isn't very high on my list.

10. ChuteTheMall

You aren't tortured by having issues with religion.

11. TeaDub

TeaDub

12. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

Everyone wants the government to lend its power and prestige to their denomination. James Madison didn't want congress to fund a chaplain at all, saying there were plenty of churches in D.C. Yet congress later did, and Protestants hogged the position for decades, and now the House Chaplain has been one or another Catholic priest, for 11+ years, to the tune of $176,000 taxdollars per year. Madison predicted this would happen, when he said a chaplain in Congress would cause one denomination to curry preference over other denominations.

This country has strayed and forgotten its past. Heck, Antonin Scalia couldn't have been apponted to SCOTUS 100 years ago. People knew exactly what he'd do (and did): rule that tax dollars could be used to support church-owned K-12 schools.

13. ChuteTheMall

More anti-Catholic bigotry from the troll who refuses to start these threads in the Religious Issues Forum.

Ban him.