close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

JAX 2005 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jan 15, 2005.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories here.:)

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

A very good match for me........66.70 in Master Stock!! We were finished by 1:30 and the RO's were frindly and did an OUTSTANDING job even though some were new to GSSF!! Thank You!! The GSSF staff of Chris Edwards and Scott Gilbertson did there normal OUTSTANDING job.......Thanks Chris and Scott!
    The weather was VERY overcast, windy and the temp's in the lower 50's! ;P
    I would say that everyone that we talked to had a GOOD time inspite of the weather!;f

Dan:cool:

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well I won't scare you'al with the details but it was a fun day. The RO's did a good job and were very helpful. Of course the facility is one of the best in the country and the Gateway Club deserve a good pat on the back. Chris and Scott did their usually superb job keeping everything running smoothly. Gary Shumate was kept busy all day keeping those Glocks a humming.

Since this one is now history for this year DEJ/FL and I must repack, grab a little rest as we are heading to Las Vegs early Thursday morning for the match at Boulder City next weekend. Hopefully this was a good practice for me for that match since I shot this one with 6 weeks of no practice.

4. GJM89

GJM89

Good to hear from you guy's, sounds like you had alot of fun. Sorry to hear that it was in the 50s, it was all of 35 here today. Are you guy's going to stay in Vegas for the S.H.O.T. ?

5. njl

njl

I'm shooting Sunday. I went to the range this evening for some last minute practice and it was cold (50F) and real windy. I went straight from the range to Wal-Mart to buy some of those disposible hand warmers for my jacket pockets tomorrow.

6. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

The only way I MIGHT be back at Vegas during the S.H.O.T. is if I make Matchmiester at Jax or Bolder City!;Q
    Dan:cool:

7. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Well I had fun and had a difference within 1 second of the two catagories I shot, Guardian and Sub-Compact. Both in the high 80's.

I need to thank Gary the Armorer as my sights were off a good bit from some bullseye time a few days earlier. I do not know how they got that way but I carry that pistol (G26) a lot. He gave it a whack with the sight adjustment tool and I was dead on at the side match. I went on to shoot my two catagories this year confident the sights were on target. If the scores hold up I am in the running for a gun or money! :)

I also want to thank Chris Edwards. I had to be on duty in Orlando at 3pm. I was worried about getting the last stage shot in time for me to hit the road. Chris sent some of us to the back side 5 to GLOCK to alleviate the crowd up front and then personally ran our group through while waiting for more RO's to head back.

A real class act and I made it back to work on time without a minute to spare. :)

Looking forward to Orlando next month.

8. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Bob and I had a great time seeing the old 'gang' again. That's what makes these matches so much fun!

I didn't shoot very well, but then I didn't expect I would since I hadn't practiced. Bob did quite well. His accuracy is improving nicely.

The weather wasn't the greatest, but it sure wasn't the worst either. If you could stay out of the wind, you were all right.

We won't be making the Orlando trip, but we'll be at Anderson. We look forward to seeing everyone there.

Mrs G-R (Pat) :cool:

9. njl

njl

I shot much better than I expected having not shot GSSF last year and not done GSSF-specific practice for 2 years. Based on last years scores, I'm hoping to be in the top 10 of each class I shot.

Whats with the new/current stage registration? Unlike previous years I've shot GSSF JAX, this time they had sign-in sheets at each stage. The RSOs at some stages wanted your score sheets when you arrived to sign in, others didn't want them until you were actually called up to shoot.
    It wasn't clear to me (and didn't seem clear to the RSOs) what the point of the sign-in sheets was.

< whiner mode = on >
    When I arrived today (around 11:30am), there was no waiting at plates or 5, but I really wanted to shoot M first, so I signed up at one of the M stages and sat down. I eventually got to the point that I was told I was next. Then a group of RSOs showed up and got to skip the line. No problem. I know they have to shoot so they can run the match so everyone else can shoot. By now, it's not quite 1pm. I figure I'm about 6 down now, so I'll go grab my sandwitch from my car parked behind the M stage. I gobble down lunch and get back to M and find that rather than being the 1 or 2 down in the stack I anticipated, I'm now near the bottom of a rather thick stack of sheets. I asked how that happened adn was told people who'd signed in earlier had come by and turned in their sheets. By then, it was 1, I'd waited 1.5 hours (done lots of target pasting) and asked for my sheets back. I took them over to the other M, and shot after waiting for just a couple of other people.

I didn't make a scene of it, because I've seen people do that and it's really annoying, wastes everyone's time, and doesn't usually accomplish anything.
    < whiner mode = off >

It seems GSSF was a little short handed today, and really didn't have enough RSOs to go around. When I got to the plates, the line wasn't nearly as bad as the first M, but only 2 of 3 racks were being run (no RSOs at the 3rd) and as I waited, the RSOs from one of the 2 live racks vanished. Before too long, another RSO showed up and asked for volunteers to score while he timed people, and at least we had 2 racks running again. Some of us hung around and scored several people before/after we shot.

From what I saw today, I'd say ideally there should be 3 RSOs at each stage.

1) timer and stage master
    2) scorer
    3) shooter relations / queue manager

Too many times things were unnecessarily held up because people were bugging the scorer to either hand in sheets or see where they were in the line or argue about why they were so far down in the line when they signed up so long ago.

I still had fun, but that initial long wait kind of sucked.

I also saw some .45GAP brass left behind. I guess GAP is available enough now that either you 37 shooters aren't picking up all your brass or aren't being allowed to?

10. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

just got back in

shot am civ (g37) saturday and then competition (also g37) sunday,

I think I may be in the running for Am Civ "B"...... fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks to Gary for the work on my G34 and the testfiring afterwards....

I had all but given up on the gun, and was just about to cut it into little pieces with an oxy-acetylene torch and then throw the pieces in the lake, or see if I could get a hundred dollars for it from a gun buyback program - but I wanted to see if replacing the locking block (that we talked about at Conyers but didnt do) would make a difference. It seems to have done the trick.

At least Gary was able to shoot it pretty good.

Time will tell what I am able to do with it.

See ya in anderson.

11. njl

njl

What was the problem with your 34?

12. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

what was wrong with my 34?

A big part of it is me.... I could not get it to shoot as accurately as I wanted it to (or thought/believed it should).

I have never had the confidence in that 34 that I have had in my other glocks.

It's as simple as that.

I started out beating myself up because it had to be the shooter and couldn't possibly be the gun, (that ever present nut behind the trigger that I'm always being told to look for but still havent found), and then I started to compare my 26, 34, and 37 side by side and I found out that I shot the other two a lot better than I shoot the 34, at that time I began to wonder that maybe there's nothing wrong with me and that it is the gun, and then I started to think that subconciously I am somehow doing something different with the 34 than the others and that I am indeed the cause of the problem, and by then I am really messed up, and dont know what to think, and I have run out of Paxil.

{deep breath}

Having said all that in the last couple of months:

I found the Heinie sight was loose in the dovetail and could be wiggled maybe a sixteenth of an inch from left to right (but couldnt be pushed off the slide by hand).... Took it to my man with the slide pusher and he removed the sight, put some locktite in the dovetail & reinstalled the sight. Still trying to decide to get a new set of sights or sell the gun.

at Conyers Dave S. test fired the 34 (and told me the problem is the gun not the shooter) & had the armorers change the slide [edit]lock[edit], accuracy seemed to improve a little (and I was out of ammo to testfire) the armorer did not change out the locking block but it was something Dave had mentioned possibly doing in the future.

at Jax I asked Gary to look at it again and he put all new springs in it, put in a new locking block and testfired it for me and it seemed to be shooting pretty good on the steel side match.

One other thing - the barrel seems to hang up in the slide (when breech of barrel is about 3/8 of an inch from the breechface) - Gary stoned some slide peening thinking that that was catching the barrel but I still think that it is hanging up at the barrel end and not the chamber end 'cause it is still doing it. Jay Shebuski hand cycled the gun before I took it to the armorer and agreed that it didnt feel right.

I guess if it shoots a little better I can live with it (or at least I wont feel so bad selling it).

13. njl

njl

Loose rear sight isn't good. Do Heinie's use a set screw, or just friction to stay in place? SA sent my 1911 back to me with a rear sight that shot loose in just a couple range visits. I cleaned it up and loctited it back.

I don't see how the slide stop could affect accuracy. Was the rear sight locked down before or after Conyers?

I don't really see how the springs would affect accuracy either...with the possible exception of a worn out recoil spring not putting the gun fully into battery.

Peening could do that if it extends into the space where the barrel is moving down. I've filed off some of the peening in my 17 due to such concerns.

There's not much at the muzzle end of the barrel for it to hang up on. I assume the muzzle end of your barrel is nice and smooth and round, as is the barrel opening on your slide.

What's the trigger pull like? Have you jobbed it at all, or is it just the stock 3.5# connector most 34s come with? I've seen where a rough edge on the rear of the trigger bar can actually cut grooves into the connector, making the trigger pull rougher and heavier. If you haven't done so, you might take apart the frame, degrease the trigger bar and connector, and inspect them for unusually rough surfaces.

BTW, I think I know how you feel. My 21 the last few times I've shot it, I've been terrible. It's got 3.5moa Optima, and I shoot my 1911 with iron sights (or even my 17 with iron/night sights) much better at 25yds. I'm pretty sure its all me though, and my hands just don't work with the larger frame size.

14. whiskerz

whiskerz

I held off on this. but my take on Jax may piss some folks off. :soap: First I noticed the master class 3 entry shooter crowd never helps paste a target. Second at the stage for the M where I was waiting I was down to being third in line per the kid with scoresheets, then the next thing I am seventh. seems as a group who signed in early shows up and I am moving backwards. I could see that if he hadn't already told me I was coming up. Also I watched as the 3 entry crowd shot all 3 back to back I was hoping this would speed up the shooting since less changes at the table, but it does not seem to matter. The upside was The help was nice and seemed to be making an effort. The guy on the 5 to glock had no idea of GSSF rules and told me as much. He was an IPSC shooter. They should be at least given a list of the important rules. The upside is he was big on safety and I liked that. The other upside was I shot a pretty good match and felt like I was more consistant than my last 2 matches.:soap: my .02 no cash value.

15. njl

njl

Speaking of rules, they really should post them prominently somewhere at gssfonline, rather than just in one of the Glock Reports...that way I could easily look this up...but are fiber optic sights allowed in AmCiv now? I noticed at least one AmCiv shooter with them. I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure if that rule had changed.

16. Don At PC

The rulles ARE posted on www.gssfonline.com. Also several issues of the Glock Report are there. Just go to www.gssfonline.com when the home page comes up click on Glock Report at top of page then click on Glock Repprt Archives. There you will find all Glock Reports since 1992 and the 1st volume each year is the one that has all the rules. The only reason 2005 Glock Report is not active is because we have not finished the 2004 season.

17. njl

njl

Having to look back several issues in the Glock Report is not what I'd call prominently posted. Trying to do so keeps hanging my web browser too :( If they are posted somewhere else on the site, I don't see it.

So are fiber optics allowed now outside of UL/Masters? I've seen some cool looking ones recently that combine fiber optics with tritium, which sounds really interesting, but I won't bother if they're not AmCiv legal.

18. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

If the fiber optic elements are blacked out the FO post and notch sights can be used in all categories.

19. Don At PC

20. njl

njl

That kind of defeats the purpose. I'll stick with my Meprolights.

Any idea how long it takes to get old fashioned match scores posted? I was looking forward to the new system, but was told inside this morning they had computer problems and had to go back to the old score sheet system.

Since I shot much better than expected, I'm kind of curious what(/if?) I won. I'm guessing maybe a few bucks unless the field has gotten much better since last year.

With better trigger control, if I could keep them all in the B ring, I think I'd have a shot at a pistol with todays time.