close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

JAX 2003 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jan 18, 2003.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories here. Cold, wind, frostbite, whatever.:)

2. truckcop

truckcop

Yep. Cold. Not too windy. Sunny. Altogether, a pleasant morning. Didn't have to kick myself over my shooting too much . One small glitch to begin. A group of RO's at one of the plate racks apparently hadn't been briefed very well on how to run the match. They were going through the sheets and kept calling names, but many didn't answer. (DUH!) So they were putting the ones that weren't there when they called back on the bottom of the pile. To compound things, they then decided it would just be better if they put the whole pile in alphabetical order. Sigh. After some lively conversation, they got straightened out on how it is supposed to go. That didn't help those who had already been alphabetized, though. I was early and it didn't affect me too much. I think the threat of cold kept some early birds away, so hopefully, it got sorted out soon after I left.

I had to get back home so didn't hang around for the side matches or to chat. As usual, registration went well, the armorers were doing their thing and a couple of vendors seemed to be doing a little business. Thanks, Glock, for another great day (morning) of shooting.

3. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

As the song goes, "My backs are packed,,,,I'm ready to go,,,,,,I'm standing here,,,,outside the door" Well, that's what happened to me.

I arrived to the airport running late from a business trip in New Mexico and I as too late to board the plane................so, here I sit in Lubbock, TX, wishing I was in Jacksonville, Florida.

I wish everyone the best and my gratitudes to FireGlock who is managing the CARVER Mount display. "Thanks, Jerry".

4. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

GlockMom and I are enjoying the single didets here in the great white North ( yah right )and hopeing that all had a good time in Jax. wish we where there :( but from talking to my brother he says the it might get to the 50s in Jax ;) Good luck to all.

5. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

There was good group at Fri. nite dinner, about 25 or so! Good food and a bunch of good, gun loving people!
    Sat. morn was a bit brisk, but the wind was not blowing as predicted , and that helped a bunch!

I retained my "Double Digit Midget" status barely! But i feel good about doing it two matches in a row. Maybe next match I'll hit the 80's!!!

Well, this was the second time this year that my plates sheets were put in alphabetical order!!! I was not happy about it and ask for my sheets back and went to another rack. I know ROing is not easy, but the instructions need to be clear and understood. I'm sure some people feel there is a better way, but wait till GSSF decides that!In spite of the mix ups, I'm thankful to all the RO's!!!

There was a good side match set up. A texas star(5 plates that rotate as you knock them off) which was a fun chgallenge!!!

All in all, it was a good time, and I finally met Oosik!!! Sorry about holding up the armorer table Drew!!!

6. DannyR

DTOM.

Thanks for the fine performance in Am/Civ. I like dem double digits.;+

7. glockNstein

glockNstein

Got back from Jax a few hours ago. Only took about 3.5 hours or so to get home.

Weather was cold, about 31* at 8:30 am, but no rain and only a slight breeze (unfortunately it was too cold for the mothership). The armorers were doing their usual job, and Diane and Scott handled the registration smoothly as well. The RO's did an excellent job, and I recognized some of them from previous years, Thanks Gateway.

Friday night's dinner was great fun as usual. Many of the "usual suspects" were present. You regulars that were not there were missed.

Hope everyone else had a good day shooting, and a safe trip home.

8. njl

njl

Boy that was cold. They actually had a gas powered space heater at one of the Glock-M stations. I arrived in JAX somewhere around noon. I got my paperwork, got new springs (but not followers) in two NFML G17 mags, and then headed out to the range.

Being rusty and out of practice, I shot my AmCiv strings first (figured I had no shot at a good score) and did even worse than expected. If I recorded it correctly, just over 200 (worse than my first match 2 years ago). UL/Masters with my 34 and Optima, I did much better, scoring just over 100 (only about 5s worse than last year).

Unless the cold really affected alot of people, 200 should put me out of the money in B class, but not quite bad enough to win anything in C :(

I'll have to see if I can get back into A class (or at least in the money in B :) ) by Orlando.

I don't know if the AmCiv shooting served as warm-up for my UL shooting, or if dots are just that much easier to get back into.

9. dip128

dip128 Prepaired

I had a great time.It was good to see everyone.I dident go double digit this time ,but had a respectable score of 114.xx.

Guess i will see everyone at Orlando.

;a ;f ;)

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well; Thanks Gateway & the GSSF Staff for another great match weekend. A little on the cool side, a couple problems but all in all a job well done. I know how cool it was for me and I can imagine how it felt to the RO's being out there many more hours than I was. My shooting was fair, still didn't make my double digit AmCiv but still have Orlando to make my original goal of at least 1 double digit AmCiv score for this season. The first one is always the hardest. I had a 134.10 in AmCiv, 127.81 in Stockmeister and a 91.50 in U/L. Not really what I wanted but it could have been much worse, I will get there yet.

Had a great Fri. night gathering and an equally good Sat. night gathering. Thanks Fireglock for all the effort, you did good old buddy.

11. DannyR

Congrats and thanks to all my Sidearmor teammates for a fine performance in adverse conditions.

Representing the team in Stockmeister:
    1. Scott Greenbaum
    2. Jerry Worsham
    3. Bruce Warren
    4. Michael McGinnes
    5. Dan Johnson
    6. Scott DeLuce
    7. Rodney Leeber

Representing the team in Am/Civ:
    1. Bruce Warren
    2. Michael McGinnes
    3. Scott DeLuce
    4. JJ Weist
    5. Don Dyer
    6. Peter Straub
    7. James Johnson

Hope to see many of you at Anderson in March:)

12. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...Really had a good time. The sun on the targets and the sights, in the AM, really was a benefit.

Spoke briefly w/Jerry, who gave me some strategy tips and also the "shooting Coastie"..who shoots better than he hinted at..may need some looking into:)

Team "Carolina Crew", I think I shot my personal best this match. I don't keep score at the match, but it sure felt good!
    ....we'll have to hide and watch to see how we did.

Jay

13. Team Greenbaum

Team Greenbaum Millennium Member

Sunday's weather: Superb!
    Range officers: Great!
    Range facilities: Outstanding!
    Match organization: Brilliant!
    Scoresheet handling: Flawless!
    The company of fellow shooters: Superb!

My performance in Stockmeister: Awful :(
    My performance in Unlimited: Even Worse :( :(

Outlook for Orlando match: Excellent!

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Come on Scottbert; tell us what you really think.;f ;f ;f ;f ;f
    Looking forward to seeing you again in Orlando.

15. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Yah but being with your friends ;P Priceless :) :)

16. Wcoyote

Wcoyote Super Genius...

All,
    Started the Jax GSSF weekend off with great food and about 22 new friends. Thanks to Fireglock and the others for a great evening Friday.

Saturday dawned early and COLD. I brought my father along as a spectator for what was my 2nd GSSF match. I shot AmCiv and Comp. AmCiv with my G19 went well for me. I got all shots on paper/steal and feel I had better times than last year. Shot Comp with my 21, GlockM and 5toGlock went well kept all shots on paper/steal although not as close to the center of the targets as I would have liked. Plates were another story. I left 1 plate standing on the first 2 rounds, left 3 plates standing on round 3 and left 5 plates standing on round 4. THAT JUST SUCKED! I realize that I cannot blame it on the weather, wind, sun, gun, or ammo. I had atleast 1 misfeed on each set of plates from mag problems and a couple of misfeeds on the other 2 stages also due to mag problems. While that might have contributed to my bad performance, I have narrowed it down to the lack of practice. I shoot with my G19 EVERY range session at least 100 rounds. The 21 I might shoot 100 rounds in 2 months. note to self: practice, practice, practice.

Thanks to all the RO's for a job well done, and for the Glock Armorers for replacing the followers in my 21 mags for me.

I hope to see you in Atlanta as I will be unable to make the Orlando shoot.

Wcoyote

17. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

A winter storm In the mountains delayed my departure a great deal. I finally arrived on Sunday in time to register at 1:15 pm. I was registered in the 450's. I think Jax set a new attendance record. I finished up and drove on down to the old homestead in Orlando to visit family.

I made sure to sign on the "Carolina Crew" team sheet. I would hate to have shot the match and had Jay ream me out for forgetting that little chore. :)

The weather was perfect, mild and bright. I was able to shoot all three of my classes in two hours. No problems with RO's or conditions. All went well.

My strategy to "shoot slow in a hurry" and "one gun for all the fun" did the trick. I shot my G26 for all classes. It worked. I have been unable to practice at all since Anderson but of my three classes did a personal best in two of them. My unofficial score for stockmeister has me at 92.7. Even better my unofficial in Am LE was 83.93. An all time best for me at my 6th GSSF match.

I figured that with no practice I would start at the Subcompact class and work my way up to Am/LE. It worked as my initial strings at each stage was in the Sub Compact catagory and I had an unofficial score of 119.00 in that class.

Did not get to see anybody but FireGlock but hey there is still Orlando and then back to Anderson in March. I am blessed.

18. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

Debra and I had a great time. I wish I could have shot my G35 in unlimited, but due to feeding problems I shot my wife's stock G17. I hope to have my G35 ready for Orlando, a little feed ramp work is needed. The weather was great, and no mud to slosh through.

19. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

The weather was a little COOL but DRY!!!!! The match was one of the better ones put on by the Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club! Thanks Everyone!!!! The GSSF crew of Scott and Diane did their outstanding job as usual!!
    I did not have one of my banner days in Stockmeister, however I did manage to pull out a 58.28 in U/L! The armors was busy looking after eveyones gun needs......Thanks gentelman!!
    The Friday and Saturday night dinners where GREAT......Thanks Fireglock!!!! I believe a very good time was had by ALL!!!
    Dan
    :cool:

20. PHARAOH

PHARAOH Guest

Well, another great trip in the War-Wagon! Jacksonville although being quite cool (ok, down right cold) as far as Florida weather is concerned happened to be a good day for shooting. First up was a trip to the Armors to have my Unlimited G35 trigger worked on it has been a little crunchy from day one thay did a great job as usual. My scores where not very good but all where my own short coming. The Jerk behind the trigger problem, and thinking to much about the clock. 144.34 AmCiv, 162.78 Stockmeister, 197.81 Competition, UL/Master 170.44. All in all once I forget about the clock and stop jerking the trigger I always do much better. ;Q A big thank you to the GSSF staff Diane and Scott for a great job well done.

Friday nite dinner was great. Saturday nite dinner was even better!;K Thank you to Fireglock and his better half for setting up all the dinner planning. ;Y ;Y

Hope to see all in Orlando in Feb 03