JAVA vs. Python

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MtnBiker, Jul 21, 2018.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

I am from an IT background, but I have not slung code in several years. I am considering picking up JAVA or Python to write some apps that will call a trading API. I am approaching this from a utility standpoint. I am interested in a short learning curve to get productive rapidly. I am not interested in building a marketable skill set in either language.

I once used JAVA a little, but at this point it will be a total relearning experience.

Can anyone speak to how difficult it is to learn/use Python vs JAVA?

I am familiar with the Eclipse platform for JAVA development. What tools are available for Python development? I don't want to have to purchase any software if I don't need to.

Also, any videos, books etc. to recommend?

Any constructive ideas are appreciated. :)

2. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

3. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

Both have their uses. If you are starting from scratch your best bet is to ask yourself how you are going to be using this language. Are you on Linux? Will the program run on a Linux environment (like a server) or will it run on a windows environment.
    To answer your question most banks/funds here in Charlotte are firmly in the Java world. If you are going to be interacting with a trading API the Java world might be the way to go!
    Both languages have great info out there so you should be all set when it comes to asking questions, and getting answers from stackoverflow.
    Good luck, and happy coding!

4. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Python is super easy and solves all sorts of problems.

Whatever trading platform you’re using should have like recommended calls for it and that’ll probably dictate your language choice.

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

6. doktarZues

doktarZues

For what you were saying, quick learning curve and not looking to market yourself or sell your product just get useful quick, python wins hands-down.

I think Java (not JAVA since it's not an acronym) would win even bigger than python with the scenarios reversed. Might take a little longer to learn but once mastered is more powerful and remains in heavy demand in the workplace unlike python.

7. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Might be location specific. But in my area, I see a lot more Python positions posted than Java. Seems like the Java jobs pay more though, but possibly because they usually want years of experience compared to most Python positions. Or possibly because they might be more webcentric (dime a dozen) vs enterprise.