close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Japanese Nambu

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by K720, Jan 26, 2010.

1. K720

K720

My neighbor is a WWII vet. He has in his possession a Nambu that he took off of a Japanese Officer that he took prisoner in either the Phillipines or New Gunea. (He's 89 and can't remember exactly where.) He also has the holster, shoulder strap, belt, extra magazine and cleaning kit, along with a letter from his C.O. allowing him to bring the pistol home. More than one person is after him to sell him the pistol. Does anyone have any idea what it may be worth. It's in excellent condition, as is all of the mentined items. I'd hate to see him get shafted, so any help is appreciated.

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Nambu's are tough to price. You would need to get all the info off the pistol like codes and other markings.

Gunbroker has some ridiculous prices for Nambu's but I'll bet they have been there awhile as well.

I've seen them anywhere from $300 to $700.

And you might want to ask a moderator to move this to General Firearms Forum so it will get more replies.

3. Steve0853

Steve0853

Neighbor has no heirs or anyone to give that pistol to?? With that history and letter, it should be much more valuable to a family member than mere gun value.

4. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Maybe go over to Gunboards, in the Japanese section, they may help.
    Or maybe post this in the Milsurp section right here on GT. Either way, with the extras and capture papers, it's more valuable. Just do some research before he sells, and don't give it away cheap.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

With the accompanying provenance, a donation or loan to a museum would be where I would like to see it go if it were mine. That is, short of a bequest to kin. Few things annoy me more than others leaning on somebody to part with something for their own gain. YMMV

6. 220-9er

220-9er

The history of the circumstances are probably going to make much of the value.
    Not many of those guys surrendered during the war. Does he remember if it was during the war or at the end when they all had to turn over their arms. His unit info would help determine where he was if you can find that out.

7. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I as well understand and agree with that feeling, but........you know or suspect something we don't?

Something specific or just grumbling in general?

8. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

9. Ersatz

Ersatz

For a complete rig like that with capture papers, a photo of him holding it and a notarized accounting of how he procurred it and a copy of his service record? I'd venture between $1500 to $2000. A gun is just a gun, but Japanese equipment in the Pacific was particularly prone to deterioration. A complete rig, matching numbers, with provenance is hard to come by.

Buy the gun, not the story, but if you can VERIFY the story, that's when numbers get big.

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

OP said more than one person is after him to sell. To me, "after him" implies repeated requests and "more than one person" needs no interpretation.

As said in my post you quoted, YMMV.

11. K720

K720

He was in the 6th Army. He said it was during the war, and the guy stumbled out of the jungle half-starved. His unit served in both the Phillipines and New Gunea, and when the war ended, they were training for the invasion of Japan. He was in occupied Japan for about 4 or 5 months.