close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Japan and the weird gun related stuff from it....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by I_Hate_George_Lucas, May 1, 2012.

1. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

I was checking out Internet Movie Firearm Database wondering what movies the Galil rifle has been in other then Heat and stumbled across an odd anime show from Japan called Upotte!!!. Which is the reserve spelling of guns in Japanese 鉄砲 (てっぽう), Teppou. I don't know how to describe it but I'll try. The show is about a school of girls ranging from elementary to high school; except all the girls are anthropomorphised guns. Submachine Guns are elementary school students, assault rifles are middle school students, and battle rifles are high school students. One teacher is the anthropomorphised character of the Thompson SMG and another is a FG42.

It's odd, strange, weird, and only something this frakked up can come from Japan.

It's currently airing on Crunchyroll.com; it's a website of anime shows. It has it in English subtitles....

http://www.crunchyroll.com/upotte/episode-1-grip-and-hold-594867

[​IMG]

[ame]http://youtu.be/ugj2UH4lcV4[/ame]

http://youtu.be/Bb77Xug6-NU

[ame]http://youtu.be/4WA1odAIBMM[/ame]

2. CAcop

CAcop

To add to the wackiness of the Japanese they are essentially white girls with really big eyes wearing way too short of skirts for the age the characters are supposed to be.

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

4. Ruggles

Ruggles

[​IMG]

The gun details in this one are very realistic all thing considered. I like Anime, not all of it but there are alot of good ones. Not kids cartoons at all. The Western mindset that animation /comics are for kids is not shared by the Japanese. I would rather watch 26 episodes of Anime than 26 episodes of some of the junk on American TV :)

The whole non asian looking characters in Anime is pretty odd IMO. The young ages of the characters is not uncommon at all, high school is a big setting for some of these shows. As I understand it they (producers/writers) like that age group because older people of course have been high school students and can relate and the younger audience is either in that age group or soon will be so it is a universally relatable age for a wide audience.

Plus overweight middle age women would look scary in short sailor uniforms :) The ones I have seen do not push the sex thing beyond very light jokes so I do not find it offensive.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Makes "This is my rifle, this is my gun," feel a lot more wrong. It's seriously screwed up. The premise itself (a gun's characteristics anthropomorphized into a girl's personality) could work alright, i.e. M16 is finicky, AK47 is the town bicycle, etc. But the execution is just ten different kinds of psychological therapy in the making.

6. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

7. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

Haven't seen that in ages. Upotte!!! is much weirder though... Gunsmith Cats had a plot and was enjoyable. Also there wasn't any sexual reference to an orgasm as firing a shot off or holding a rifle to sexually touching a girl.

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

You know, watching those annoying clips makes me laugh just a little bit at that SNL recurring skit this year with the white kids trying to be Japanese on the college cable access channel. LOL

How the bleep do they get anything done over there? Their entire existence is surreal.

9. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Wow, you make it sound like it's a bad thing ! :rofl:

Back when I had DishTV I used to watch Women of Ninja Warriors and the later contests had young women dress and look like these characters. Darn DirecTV doesn't have the G4 channel.

I understand Japanese and the things being said are idiotic. Which is about right, I guess.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

[QUOTE

I understand Japanese and the things being said are idiotic. Which is about right, I guess.[/QUOTE]

You wanna see a real maniac?
    It's a Japanese gun lover holding a REAL gun for the first time in his life!!

Have taken some Japanese People out to shoot,you have got to see the reactions to firing a real firearm,GOD!,It's like they are having an orgasm!

Really corrupted some Japanese Scouts,ran them through the whole spectrum,from .22 LR all the way up to a belt fed .50BMG.

oceanwarrior

11. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

You wanna see a real maniac?
    It's a Japanese gun lover holding a REAL gun for the first time in his life!!

Have taken some Japanese People out to shoot,you have got to see the reactions to firing a real firearm,GOD!,It's like they are having an orgasm!

Really corrupted some Japanese Scouts,ran them through the whole spectrum,from .22 LR all the way up to a belt fed .50BMG.

oceanwarrior[/QUOTE]

I had a British couple in one of my CCW classes that had recently gotten citizenship and came in just for the experience of shooting a firearm for the first time. He had purchased a CZ75 and she got a PPK and they both brought them in disassembled. They were thrilled as could be during the qualification part and both did well considering they had never fired a gun before. The funniest thing was they'd bought the guns and made it that far and during the first break they came up to me and said, "We thought this class was just to learn to shoot. Do you mean to tell me that we can carry these guns anywhere?" I told them it was almost anywhere and they should pay attention to the rest of the class to find out where they couldn't carry. They were floored and asked about 90% of the questions for the rest of the day. Completely blown away that they walked out of there with the papers to get a licence to carry handguns.

12. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Looks interesting. I might have to check that out. My favorite is Desert Punk. Though it's not entirely about guns, all mentioning of them is in actual terms. And it's on net flix.

[​IMG]

13. stsai465

stsai465

There's quite a few Japanese anime that are heavily gun-related, which is ironic, given Japan's strict gun laws. In addition to the titles mentioned above, here's a couple more:
    Riding Bean (oldie from the 80s)
    High School of the Dead (recently avail on DVD)

14. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Trigun, Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Trinity Blood, Dirty Pair, Gungrave, Knight Hunter.

All heavily gun related anime. My kids are really into it.

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Who used the Galil in Heat?

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Another movie where the Galil .308 was featured heavily in was "The Way of the Gun".

Yeah, Japanese anime movies have some realistic drawings of firearms. Weird.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The fat dude who tried to use a little girl for hostage when they were running away from the bank and chased by the cops.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

What makes you think they're white?

Not a joke--they're just drawn as people, and they're assumed to be Japanese by Japanese people.

19. Ruggles

Ruggles

20. jp3975

jp3975

A lot of anime characters dont look Japanese.

But you're right. They're typically assumed to be Japanese unless it takes place outside of Japan.