close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

James Lee Burke

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Glenn E. Meyer, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Just finished his Red Pony book on MT. Boy, is he a good writer. I never miss one of his.

His daughter writes a good mystery also. It's interesting. In the Dave Robicheaux series, Dave sends his kid Alafair to Reed College in Portland, where I used to live.

Turns out Burke's daughter is named Alafair and lives and writes about Portland. It was weird reading about happenings on streets I knew well.

2. rdsharp

rdsharp

James Lee Burke is one of my favorite writers. His plots and character development are excellent, but his writing style is really what hooked me, particularly in the Robicheaux series. Lyrical is about the only way I can describe it.

He really has the capacity to make you smell the smells, feel the wind and the humidity, and taste the food as he describes them. Even when reading several books back-to-back, his descriptions remain fresh, instead of repetitive. I am starting to get just a little tired of the wife and/or kid always at terrible, risk, however.

Does his daughter write under the Burke name?

3. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

She writes under Alafair Burke - has two books out.

4. rdsharp

rdsharp

Thanks, Glenn. I'll look for them.

5. Shaman

Shaman

I discovered JLB just recently. I bought another of his books this evening. I agree with your description, 'lyrical' is one way of putting it. You should try listening to some of his work on audio. I listened to 'Heavens Prisoners' last week on Audible. Wow... The narrator did a great job, cajun accent and all. You can almost smell the water lilly's and catfish.