Glock Talk banner

Jackson, NJ Debriefing & Photo Thread

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  SARDG 
#1 ·
Please post your stories and photos here.

#2 ·
I shot Jackson again this year and brought two new GSSF members with me. Perfect weather, great people and better scores than last year - WIN!

My buddies had a great time too and were very impressed by the friendly atmosphere of a GSSF event. Thanks much to all the RO's and organizers for making this a fantastic day!

#3 ·
That has been a really fun match with great RO's, it's a shame it has to be in one of the communist states.

Hey did anyone keep my old buddy Glenn Myer in line? :faint::embarassed:

Don

#4 ·
We went and brought one new competitor who had a blast.I cant wait to see the numbers from this event as it does not seem as busy as last year.

I have to up load what photos I have and will post them tonight.I ran into Jason L and he looks like a professional shooter with his gear.

So We had 3 guys working from one bag with four different guns.My bag is not working well we were constantly rummaging around for a gun and I am going to post this as a new topic .I am sure Kitty has a solution to my problem its a good range bag but not a good competition range bag with more then 2 shooter working from it. I always try and bring at least one new competitor to each event I go to so I am always going to have more then 3 people working out of my bag

I am a right handed shooter and it was suggested buy the new guy we brought with us to shoot the plates from the right to the left instead of left to right. that felt more natural as the gun tend to flip that way anyways

I also looked at my target and brought my gun up to my eyes and that worked well.

I thought it was perfect weather but I am roasted from the sun.

We arrived before nine and was near the range waiting for them to set up and a big fellow in a red shirt and a funney accent pointed out where are my saftey glasses, I am thinking what an ass I have them on.I had them on but they were on my forehead not my eyes.I always try and set the good example for my kid to be safe and some how I must have lifted them to sign the squading sheet and did not put them back on my eyes.Just a reminder always check your gear. I don't think I thanked him for pointing it out to me but for sure I did owe him a thank you

The Jersey Glockers were there in there team shirts and looking good and always up pasting there targets.They set a good example of what to do.I made my laps pasting targets its a great way to make the time pass,I don't know why everyone does not do it. they sit and complain how long they have to wait but they could make an immediate positive impact in how long they wait by pasting targets. ????? I just don't get this one

The RO's were great as always .How do they pick such good people for what they pay them. I now realize that the majority of the people willing to give up a day to assist with an event like this for free are just good people to begin with. Great job to all of the staff.

The range was spotless clean and very well kept this is a nice place to shoot .I will never miss this match here

A fellow whom we had seen at Fulton was there and said hello and then disappeared.Are you a member here?

I cant think of anything they could have done to make this a better event.
GREAT JOB EVERYONE

#5 · (Edited)
We went and brought one new competitor ...

So We had 3 guys working from one bag with four different guns.My bag is not working well we were constantly rummaging around for a gun and I am going to post this as a new topic .I am sure Kitty has a solution to my problem its a good range bag but not a good competition range bag with more then 2 shooter working from it...
Great report Larry; I'll be looking for the pics later.

I think you hit the nail on the head - good bag... too many shooters routing in it. It's laudable that you are lending your guns to new shooters, but maybe an additional bag with the group breaking into 2 + 2. Of course, that could exacerbate any magazine shortage problem you may already have.

Dunno... that situation would drive me nuts. When I loan guns I tend to give the person the gun and mags and send them on their way with one of those Midway bags.

Time to get some of those new shooters to use their GSSF coupon. :cool:

Kitty

#7 ·
Thank you for everyone that staffed this event and volunteered. I had a blast and the location is a great facility. I love being able to show up whenever on one day or the other and get done in a reasonable amount of time. I went today, Sunday, got there about 11:30 and finished at a nice pace. Everybody was polite and respectful.

#10 ·
So yesterday i was talking with one of the shooters that was with me at Jackson and he asked why all of the malfunctions?
I had completely forgot about them as I just worked thru them.

I was shooting my Sons G17 about 4 years old not sure of the gen with a glock 3.5 or 4.5 what every you want to call it connector and aftermarket front sights.
had 2 rounds not fire
I was shooting my G34 a gen 3 same trigger and same sight and also had a miss fire

My G26 no problems

My G30 has one magazine that misfed. The first time it happened I should have put it in my pocket but I assumed I put too many in it but the second time it happened I knew it was loaded correct as I was shooting Major sub I have to find that magazine to see what is wrong with it

I was shooting Walmart Federal

The reason I am sharing this as it reinforces the benifits of competing.From shooting my combat league over the winters you just work thru what ever problem you have. And allot of times you don't ever remember a problem till some one points it out. This is the perfect example of it happened and I almost forgot about it till some one asked why the malfunctions. I think it is so cool that part of your brain is able to take care of these minor problems while the other parts are able to think about all the other stuff going on and keep you in the game.I can tell the guys who compete or train as they just work thru a malfunction and other stand there looking at the RO waiting for him to tell them what to do.I want to scream out TAP RACK BANG but the guy with the timer is running the show

Now I am not bringing this up to defend my scores, I am just bring it up to reinforce what you practice on the range it what you'll do in a tight spot

#11 ·
So yesterday i was talking with one of the shooters that was with me at Jackson and he asked why all of the malfunctions?
I had completely forgot about them as I just worked thru them.
You know, I had a malf too at JNJ. The first shot of the day got off and caused a FTRTB when chambering the second. The RO let me reshoot. Things went fine after that and I shot 2 classes, so like 200 rounds.

#12 ·
You know, I had a malf too at JNJ. The first shot of the day got off and caused a FTRTB when chambering the second. The RO let me reshoot. Things went fine after that and I shot 2 classes, so like 200 rounds.
Things were running too smoothly for range operations, so the malfunction deities needed SOMETHING to attack.

I didn't have anyone on either day that had problems severe enough to send to the armorer, and most issues were ammunition related.

#13 ·
shot on Sunday, not very crowded compared to when I shot saturday last year- unless it is my only option I won't shoot on saturdays- gets way too busy with long waits, which makes for a tough day if you drive 500 plus miles to a match.
the RO's did a great job and were very organized and I saw them helping a lot of new comers which is great. will see you there next year

#14 ·
Friends do not let friends shoot Federal Champion ammo in competition. Too many problems, but then, you get what you pay for.

#15 ·
...I was shooting my Sons G17 about 4 years old not sure of the gen with a glock 3.5 or 4.5 what every you want to call it connector and aftermarket front sights.
had 2 rounds not fire
I was shooting my G34 a gen 3 same trigger and same sight and also had a miss fire...

...My G30 has one magazine that misfed...

I was shooting Walmart Federal

The reason I am sharing this as it reinforces the benifits of competing.From shooting my combat league over the winters you just work thru what ever problem you have... ...I think it is so cool that part of your brain is able to take care of these minor problems while the other parts are able to think about all the other stuff going on and keep you in the game.I can tell the guys who compete or train as they just work thru a malfunction and other stand there looking at the RO waiting for him to tell them what to do.I want to scream out TAP RACK BANG but the guy with the timer is running the show...
In IDPA I clear and shoot through my malfs - because those are the rules; no alibis, no reshoots (except when shooting the Classifier).

In every competitive discipline where it's allowed (including, and especially GSSF), I stop on a malfunction and tell the RO I am taking a reshoot - because these reshoots are in the rules, and I can.

I've noticed that a lot of RO's won't stop you if you choose to clear and proceed, and a lot of competitors don't know or think about the ability to have a reshoot. As a matter of fact a shooter can have 2 separate malfs before being banished to the armorer, then return to the line after they've visited the armorer.

You can also be awarded a reshoot for range equipment malfunctions. When shooting my G30 once, a loose plastic twist tie became dislodged from the canopy frame and fell, dangling down and swinging with each shot right in the middle of my sight picture. I asked for a reshoot and got it, and expected to get it!

Basically, my times are poor enough - I don't need to add to them with clearing drills when I don't have to. I reserve those drills for IDPA.

#16 ·
I was there on Sunday and introduced a new shooter to sport as well. As always, great RO's, Tony and Scotty at the Armorer's table did an awesome job and the day ran smoothly. I shot all 3 stages in about 90 minutes, in between chatting it up with my shooting buddies. Then I let my friend shoot the stages with my gun. Got outta there before 2:00 and if I had more time I would have shot another stage.

Fun day even though I shot like crap...LOL

Thanks to all who attended and to all those responsible for putting on another great event!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#18 ·
I brought my son to shoot the GSSF match with me last weekend in Jackson, NJ. He is 12 and this was his first competition. He did well and we both had a great time. Actually got some favorable comments about his skill. I especially liked the one about him having a great teacher!

I noticed it was a smaller turnout, at least on Sat morning. The weather was great and everyone seemed to be having a good time. The stars seemed ti be aligned since my scores were much better than last year. Also, Tony at the armorer's table was very helpful with putting a new follower in a mag that was giving me trouble.

In my opinion, it is the GSSF matches that help make Glock standout among other firearms and it is also what makes Glock ownership so enjoyable. In fact, my son and I will also be shooting in the Rocky Mtn Classic in Denver, in August.

#19 ·
I brought my son to shoot the GSSF match with me last weekend in Jackson, NJ. He is 12 and this was his first competition. He did well and we both had a great time. Actually got some favorable comments about his skill. I especially liked the one about him having a great teacher!

I noticed it was a smaller turnout, at least on Sat morning. The weather was great and everyone seemed to be having a good time. The stars seemed ti be aligned since my scores were much better than last year. Also, Tony at the armorer's table was very helpful with putting a new follower in a mag that was giving me trouble.

In my opinion, it is the GSSF matches that help make Glock standout among other firearms and it is also what makes Glock ownership so enjoyable. In fact, my son and I will also be shooting in the Rocky Mtn Classic in Denver, in August.
I thought I had made a comment on this already but I must not of hit submit

I cant say enough of how the GSSF has positively effected my relationship with my son. I cant think of a better way to spend the day with him then shooting in a competition.

This is something you can have in common with your kids regardless of the age or generation difference.

I am glad you also had a fun and safe day. I thought we had traveled far to compete but I think you have us beet with NJ to Denver.

#21 ·
I just found this post by me in an old thread so am copying it over here.

It was in response to a Bama-post.
--------------------------

Don't forget, reshoots are granted for unrecoverable scoring errors and non-shooter induced malfunctions. I've seen shooter #1 use a gun and ammo combination and have no malfunctions and then shooter #2 uses the same gun and ammo combo and has multiple FTF. I notice this more in younger shooters and new shooters and attribute it to insufficient grip/stance that creates a limp wrist situation.

Other times, LOTS of TIME, the dreaded R word crops up. I know the GSSF is about being able to bring your new gun out and play, but if you went to the range the week before and had no problems, you would think using the same gun, with the same ammo, you would be equipment based problem free. If you never tried the gun before you came out :dunno: then send it to the armorer.
Re-shoots are addressed (in part) in Rule 160.40 which you've correctly quoted above. And the non-shooter induced malfunctions comes from "Shooter Lingo" as does:
Tap / Rack:
"...In GSSF matches, malfunctions usually result in reshoots so malfunction clearances under time are somewhat moot."

Within RO Notes for each Course of Fire however, you'll also find this:
"Re-shoots can be awarded to the competitor in the case of range equipment malfunction or failure or due to scoring errors or omissions. If competitor has an equipment or ammunition failure, competitor may have one re-shoot attempt at a “clean” run.

If shooter has a second such malfunction shooter is to remove the faulty equipment and ammunition from the line and allow the match to proceed. Competitor should consult the Armorer or change ammunition or otherwise take whatever steps are necessary to correct the problem. Once corrected, shooter is allowed to reshoot the Course of Fire to obtain a “clean” run for final score."

The above paragraphs give the RO a great deal of latitude in determining whether or not a shooter should be granted a reshoot - but equipment AND ammunition are grounds for granting a reshoot. And where might one declare limp-wristing as the problem, as opposed to equipment failure? (Okay, by watching the shooter, I know...) But (poor) ammo is also grounds for granting a reshoot.

Recently, GSSF's position is rather liberal "anyone can get a reshoot for nearly anything..." and I have taken that to heart, particularly when running new shooters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.