close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jacket recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by DrBaker, May 29, 2006.

1. DrBaker

DrBaker

Order of importance

1. safety
    2. temperature (it's hot here now and the jacket must breath)
    3. cost
    4. concealed carry options

I carry a G19 in a VM2 IWB holster. This setup works great for everything but the bike. My current jacket is a Phoenix 4.0 which is fairly cool with the liner out. It is only a little longer in the back than front so your plumbers crack doesn't show while bent over the tank. Are AlpineStar or any of the other quality gear a little longer to help conceal an IWB while riding?

2. rick601

rick601

I have a vented fox creek racing jacket- I love it- but it is heavy! has a zip out lining.
    www.foxcreekleather.com (I think)

I think the inside pocket would carry well- the leather is thick and soft- search info on it- it might be right for you.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

CCW and good riding jacket fitting don't coincide. A properly, and I mentioned again PROPERLY, fitted riding jackeet will leave little room for anything else.

4. DrBaker

DrBaker

I was afraid of that. Does anybody use a different method for carry? Pocket, ankle, etc?

5. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

My Icon Tarmac mesh jacket works great with a Comp-Tac IWB and a Colt LW Commander or Glock 17.
    The Tarmac is good because there is a little strap at the back that attaches to your rear belt loop and keeps the jacket from blowing up and uncovering your pistol.

6. MatGlock

MatGlock

How hot is hot?

If it does not get much above 90, I would recommend one of the aerostitch jackets. They have no equal. CCW is an option, I can drop my g19 in one of the cargo pockets of my aerostitch suit, but have to carry it with an empty chamber as it is not in a holster. You could carry something as large as a full size 1911 or G21 in the chest pocket of an aerostitch, but it is on the right side.

7. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I agree with fnfalman, I don't think there is a good way to do both.

I have a Vanson Force. I don't have the perforated version but I will probably get a perf'd version sometime down the road for hot weather riding.

It has a gun pocket built in, but I don't think it is appropriate for CCW. The gun pocket is fully leather lined (which is nice) but it essentially limits you to a cross-draw type of arrangement. Additionally, the pocket is not very big so you'd be limited to a smaller gun (say a S&W j-frame or Glock 26).

The biggest problem with any sort of on-body carry while on a cycle is that if you go down, you've got a chunk of metal/plastic between you and the road. The likely result is bruised or broken bones.

I'd say carry in a tank bag instead, but that has its downsides too. You'd have to take the tank bag every time you leave the bike. Also, unless you ducked into the bathroom everywhere, you would need a discreet place to transfer the gun from the bag to your body.

8. PDude

PDude

I use a gun fanny pack with my 27. You can store it in a tank bag etc. until you need it.