close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

j2re1.4.2 in Firefox and Mozilla on Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hwyhobo, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. hwyhobo

    hwyhobo

    Messages:
    1,426
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    Question for the Linux/Java people: I installed Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1 (plugin file name: libjavaplugin_oji.so) in both Mozilla (1.7) and Firefox (0.8). Plugin is symbolically linked, not copied, as instructed. Permissions on all files seem okay. Yet, when I run it as root, it works very nicely, when I run it as a regular user, the applet appears to load, but does not work. It first displays a message at the bottom: "Applet xxxx notinited", then "Loading Java Applet xxxx failed". For testing purposes, I also ran it as root with regular user's environment (I made sure that the whole environment was identical). The result was still the same. "about:plugins" shows java up and running for both root and ruser. Java console is equally happy in Mozilla.

    I went through the files with a fine-tooth comb, I don't see anything obvious. lsof shows exactly the same files open for both users when running browsers. I even diffed 40 or so strace files (parent and children) for both users running browsers, still no obvious clues (unless something small escaped me, which is possible even with all due diligence). Finally, I googled, still couldn't find a clear hit.

    Is there something I am forgetting to check?

    BTW, I run RH 9.0. Oh, and yes, I did test it on various applets to eliminate that variable. Always the same behavior.

    Thanks.
     
  2. HerrGlock

    HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

    Messages:
    23,801
    Likes Received:
    254
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2000
    Stupid question but can your user cd to the jdk directory that holds the .so file?

    As the user, see if you can get to the directory with the file, then do a strings on it to see if you can actually read the file and make sure it's executable by users.
     

  3. hwyhobo

    hwyhobo

    Messages:
    1,426
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    'Yup' on all three. This is a real weird one.
     
  4. HerrGlock

    HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

    Messages:
    23,801
    Likes Received:
    254
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2000
    and the sym link is
    lrwxrwxrwx
    right?
     
  5. hwyhobo

    hwyhobo

    Messages:
    1,426
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    Yup.
     
  6. HerrGlock

    HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

    Messages:
    23,801
    Likes Received:
    254
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2000
    Are you running it in an x-term or via a graphical interface?

    If you have not tried x-term, try it that way. Sometimes some output helps.

    Have you run ldd on the .so file as a user and as root?

    DanH
     
  7. srhoades

    srhoades

    Messages:
    2,814
    Likes Received:
    21
    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2000
    I have found it works best if you link it to the mozilla directory in /usr/local/mozila/plugins as well as the one in your home directory.
     
  8. hwyhobo

    hwyhobo

    Messages:
    1,426
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    Darn, I found it! I knew it was something banal. No, it was stupid. And it was ALL MY FAULT. When I was originally testing for another problem (which was straightforward and I solved it quickly), I gave user's environment to root to make sure they were operating in the same space, including home directory. Well, under ruser's $HOME/.java there is Cache directory. When root started using it, it changed ownership and ruser was stuck. It didn't show up in lsof because those files were not apparantly opened, just tested for opening or some such. It must have been in strace files, but I missed it.

    Well, it works like a charm now.

    Thanks everyone. There has got to be one of those once in a while. Fri 13 proved lucky to me this time. :)

    Oh, and the for the last two comments:

    srhoades, yes, I tried that, too. Since it didn't make a difference in this case, I backed out of it and left a symlink only in the plugins directory.

    HerrGlock, I was testing from xterm for debugging info, yes. I also find it more flexible and helpful. I also set up watch points from time to time in startup scripts that would report on the ongoing development of the run environment. That is definitely useful.