J frame

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lineside, Jun 12, 2020.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I always wonder if lint, a penny, a stick, or a cough drop could get stuck in there and prevent firing.

I also wonder if a sweaty thumb could slip off the hammer either creating an AD or causing to skip a chamber in recocking.

That's why I've favored the centennial design.

Heck, just the other day I was drawing and shooting the 637 chief's special and had the hammer get caught on my clothing. Not a full stop but maybe a 1 second delay.

For a defensive carry revolver, I don't see much logic for single action firing. Although I understand the hypothetical of maybe having to take a 100 yard shot on a terrorist. But anything inside 25 yards and I think the centennial can do just as well on the trigger as the humpback or the chief.

Good to have options to pick between all 3 :)

mikey357 likes this.
  2. isp2605

isp2605

I got my first S&W 49 in 1975 and carried it everyday as my 2nd, undercover, and off duty gun until 1995. In 1995 I picked up a 649 and it took the place of my 49. Now that I'm retired it's still my primary go to gun.
    My normal carry position was in an ankle rig. Wore that gun and rig thru all kinds of weather - snow, mud, dirt, climbing fences, climbing trees, thru windows. I carried it as my 2nd when doing a bunch of SWAT ops. Had it caked in mud and before cleaning ran rounds thru it because the 'internet experts' said the humpbacks would jam if dirty. Never was a problem.
    When working undercover I carried it on my body in places the internet commandos couldn't imagine. Not likely too many have carried a gun duct taped in the crack of their backside. Wasn't the most comfortable but they didn't find it.
    In 45 years of carrying the humpbacks I've never had anything jam the hammer slot. Never could even jam it when I tried. The ONLY place I've ever heard of anyone discussing it was by those who have never owned a humpback and those who have vivid imaginations and no experience with the humpback. When someone talks about it automatically tells me more about them and their actual experience than they can try to BS.
    If a person is carrying a pocket gun no matter what make/model with a bunch of stuff in the same pocket then they need a whole lot of education and tactical training because obviously they have neither.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020

3. John_AZ

John_AZ

for me, the selling point on the humpback models isn’t the option for the single action shooting, but the higher grip without the corner of the centennial model or hammer bite of the standard models causing blisters or bites. I would LOVE a completely enclosed hammer model shaped like the 38/638/438 models.

yep380 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have always loved the J frame and revolvers in general, but not the .38 special. I think I need to get a .357 J frame.

yep380 likes this.
  5. destrukto

destrukto

I carry a 442, it’s small, reliable, and .38+p isn’t anything to sneeze at. What more could I realistically ask for out of something I can fit in my pocket?

Sure the J isn’t the latest and greatest tactical pistol, nor is it the easiest to shoot. If you’re willing to put in the effort to be proficient with one I think it’s one of the best self defense pistols out there

gamecocks, yep380 and Folsom_Prison like this.
  6. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

642.. Every now and then in +P.
    Not a major fan, but I toss it in the truck, "with everything else..." HA.

CM
    :horse:

IMG_1461.jpg

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

When I pocket carry I simply don’t put anything else in the same pocket as the gun. I’ve always done that with my 442 and won’t change when I swap to my new 638. That said I’m not one to try and carry a weeks load out in my pocket like some of these guys.

I doubt lint is a big deal, that’s why they invented a compressor and a blow gun. How many people rarely un holster their semi autos from their holsters and actually clean them out?

9. yep380

yep380

When drawing a j with a hammer from your pocket, place your thumb over the hammer. No more pocket snags. Learned this with the M36.

I’ve let my 438 get pretty crusty from pocket carry and it has always went bang. When I pocket carry, there is nothing else in the pocket except a pocket holster and the gun.

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I think over thinking things is human nature. I’ve yet to ever read a post..... my gun wouldn’t go bang because of pocket lint! Kinda like the locks, as much as I hate the idea I’ve yet to ever read a post about somebody saying theirs locked up while shooting.

yep380 and John_AZ like this.
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Me. My Glocks get pretty cruded up from carry.

Once in a while I shoot them, as is, from carry condition. They never fail.

I do the same with my 642.

Then I have other guns that are more range guns, and those ones start out lint free, unloaded :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  12. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Right there with ya bud.

13. yep380

yep380

I’ve read posts about internal lock guns locking up on the smith-wessonforum. It’s never happened to me, or anyone I know personally.

I still don’t like em.

gamecocks and Folsom_Prison like this.
  14. Current Resident

Current Resident

15. isp2605

isp2605

I treat all my carry firearms like I do anything else I depend on. When I get in a vehicle I check - do I have a flat? Is their gas in it? Does the engine sound normal? Look and listen for problems. Same with all my carry guns. At the end of the day I look it over. Is there dirt, dust, lint on it? If so, clean it off. That's a daily routine. When on the job I did that with all my equipment. Was everything operational and ready to go. If not, then fix the problem before going to work.
    Why would a person go several days or longer, if ever, without checking out what you're carrying to depend on to save your life. It only takes a few seconds.

yep380, Folsom_Prison and OMEGA5 like this.
  16. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Crimson Trace laser grips. . .

OMEGA5 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  17. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Put a saddle ring on it. :)

18. VIS07

VIS07 In Omnia Paratus.

I bet taking one of those to the chest would sting a bit.