J frame

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lineside, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Scott60

Scott60

A J-frame is a far better choice for most SD carry than an auto. My 642 started out around 14.4 ounces and is now 12.5 ounces even with a titanium cylinder. That's five rounds in a small, lightweight package that carries easily in a pocket.
    S&W 642 Titanium RS.JPG
    The advantage to the revolver is manifold - it can be shot from inside a pocket, in full body contact, and has an extremely low malfunction potential secondary to poor handling, or external contact. A revolver can be loaded this year and still be gtg next year, plus you can easily see it's rtg! It doesn't care about nose profiles, or feed ramps, extractors, or magazines. No safety to worry about, as for reloading, just carry a second J-frame in another pocket!
    S&W M642 dual.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Berto

Berto woo woo

I carry a 442-2 daily, still my no1 gun.
    I keep it loaded with all copper 110gr +p buffalo bore, and 5 more in a speedloader.

VIS07, fxstchewy, mikey357 and 3 others like this.

3. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Have one in my pocket.
    E66B2598-1129-411A-94F4-B07794D9D0CB.jpeg

4. Lineside

Lineside

More people carrying a j on this forum then what I thought. I love my G42 and G30s but always want to carry the j.

rayzer007 likes this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X

I carry one and can’t find any actual evidence that indicates it’s inadequate. Plenty of theoretical scenarios where it would be lacking, but those just aren’t occurring in the context of civilian self-defense. At lest not with enough regularity for me to be concerned much about them. Plus, from a pocket(pants or jacket), or in a close-contact situation, the snub revolver is actually the superior weapon and that’s much more likely to be of advantage than what a higher capacity autoloader brings to the table IMO.

6. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

Lasergrips, they are a game changer and a must for a J-frame IMO. Yes they are 2-300 bucks but how much is your life worth...

7. Professor Zero

Professor Zero

Carry S&W 649 (.38 special) 80% of the time.

8. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

This! 100%

The j frame and the Glock 19 may just be the most versitle handgun combination to have.

VIS07, Scott60 and -JCN- like this.
  9. Glock40man

Glock40man

The short answer is, yes. The majority of the time it's a M&P 340 (no lock)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mikey357 likes this.
  10. 45caldan

45caldan

I have carried them on and off for years.
    Not anymore when I can pocket carry a Sig P365 about as easily as a j frame....

11. Crane1

Crane1

If I'm going outside for a short time, like going to the mail box or taking out the trash, I'll stick a "Jay" in my pocket. Longer or more intentional trips usually, but not always, mandate another weapon. Sometimes, I just like carrying the "Jay".

12. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

My wife religiously carries her m642. I discovered Ruger's LCR & LCRX a few years ago
    and prefer them over the S&W J frames. The only model I don't have is the .357 mag
    which I plan on rectifying asap. I do have a S&W m60-14 2 inch in .357 mag that I like
    very much.
    I began my LEO career in 1969 as a Cop in DC and carried a revolver on/off duty for over
    25 years before switching to a pistol. I have no problem carrying a revolver for self defense
    at all. It has advantages and the only disadvantage I see is capacity which practice and/or
    a NY reload can minimize.

13. J_Rico

J_Rico

Not me. I own a 642 and can not remember the last time I carried it.

Too large for me to pocket carry in work clothes. If I am carrying on my belt, I can carry larger handguns.

Have not sold it. Lot of respect for j frames, just does not fit in my carry situation.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I sold my 642 Airweight after the Giffords shooting, and started carrying my G22 instead. I don't regret the decision....that J-frame was brutal on the web of my hand with defensive loads.

That being said....I really did enjoy carrying it. It was easy to stick in my sweatpants pocket for late-night food runs and grocery shopping. And it disappeared on my hip with an OWB scabbard.

I'll get another one in the future, and this time it's going to be a no-lock with a set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it.

glock1097 likes this.
  15. John_AZ

John_AZ

16. Crane1

Crane1

Don't need no stinkin' Lasergrips. Buy ammo and learn to shoot.

17. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

IWB carry loaded with Federal 130gr. 38+P short barrel. The reload is gold dot 135gr. 357 mag. I figure at that point, WTF!
    [​IMG]

Shares the same holster and Federal 38+P rounds. The reload is NOT 357 mag. This thing is lighter than a tube of pringles.
    [​IMG]

18. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I want one of these.
    [​IMG]
    Slip it in your pocket and go. The possibility of an ND is almost nil. No hammer to hang up in your pocket and as mentioned, it's a great "get tf off me!" gun.

19. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

Maybe your life isn't worth the extra couple of hundred bucks for the advantages lasergrips offer but mine is, they make a good shooter better IMO. As a training aide to learn trigger control, nothing provides feedback faster and it can be done at home with an empty gun. Also, it's a huge advantage in a low light and retention shooting situations.

http://snubnose.info/docs/CT_grips.htm

mikey357 and rayzer007 like this.
  20. Crane1

Crane1

You're foolin' yourself, but whatever. If you rely on them, and they fail, what are you going to do then? Better to learn by shooting instead of depending on gadgets.

Scott60 likes this.