J frame

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lineside, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Lineside

Lineside

Does anybody still carry a j frame? My first concealed handgun was a smith and Wesson 637. Then I tried a bodyguard 380 for a little while and hated it. Then bought a g42 recently, and I love it. It shoots great and carries great, but I still find myself wanting to carry my j frame more than anything else. I looked at other 9mms recently like a g43 p365 and hellcat but didn’t buy one. Just curious if anybody else still loves j frames for carry.

VIS07 and snowbird.40 like this.
  2. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

The j frame fits a specific niche.

It has its unique advantages.

I carry a Glock pistol...but when you need a j frame, there's no substitute.

VIS07, snowbird.40, jk_226 and 12 others like this.

3. jk_226

jk_226

My first choice is an M&P40c.

I carry my S&W642 when the M&P is too large for my clothing or in certain other situations. I used to carry it when running on a belt with holster under my running shorts & t-shirt. I've carried it in an OWB or IWB holster as well as a pocket holster. It also works in an ankle holster for suit and tie occasions where the jacket may come off.

It's my choice when the M&P compact is too large. A couple speed loaders in a pocket work too.

VIS07, snowbird.40, n2g and 2 others like this.
  4. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

I believe in practicing a lot...with the specific pistol you carry. If I carry a pocket gun.. I want to be able to put thousands of rounds per year on that thing.

The only little itty bitty gun that can do that (in my opinion...and you are free to yours) is the j frame.

Plus the j frame is an excellent belly to belly contact distance "get off me gun".
    It fits that role well.

And it fits in my pocket.

So those are the things I like about the j frame.

But for overall carry gun... I usually prefer the Glock 19/23. (Then the CZ PO1. And on some days...when the mood strikes, the CZ is my number one pick.)

arkdweller22, mikey357, Berto and 2 others like this.
  5. DrewBone

DrewBone

On occasion I carry the no-dash model 60 in the leather rig shown below; it carries so well that I don't even feel it on my hip or the speed loader in my front jeans pocket:

20170904_094807.jpg

6. xdmikey

xdmikey

I guess the 640 is one size up?

Lineside likes this.
  7. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

That model 60 is a beauty. No pocket polymer can complete in the looks department.

8. Lineside

Lineside

Thanks for the replies. That model 60 is nice. I know some people like them for a back up, but more and more I’m carrying mine for primary.

9. mj9mm

mj9mm

i carry a 637, 380BG and occasionally my G36. i do pretty good shooting them and feel confident with all 3.

10. TeaDub

TeaDub

Smith made the 640 into a 357 Mag in the 90s iirc.

That added a slight bit of length and a couple ounces of weight. IMO, the original 640 in 38 Special was one of the best concealment guns ever made.

As to the thread, I still own and carry a J-frame on occasion. I don't see ever getting rid of them. A classic that still works quite well. :thumbsup:

snowbird.40 and redneck ron like this.
  11. glock1097

glock1097

Nothing wrong with you carrying a J frame. Just understand you’re ammo challenged in some situations. I carry my 642 in a pocket holster and have a Blackhawk OWB speed scabbard for it. Many times I carry the 642 in my pocket and G23 on my hip.
    Carrying the J is better than leaving it at home.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  12. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

S&W 442 is my main general carry firearm.

mikey357, jcullen and rfd339 like this.
  13. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

14. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

My J frame model 637 goes where I go.

Occasionally on Sunday, I substitute my Ruger LCP.

VIS07, snowbird.40 and railfancwb like this.
  15. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I like carrying mine sometimes. Still a valid carry gun in most realistic civilian situations. They just carry well.

VIS07, snowbird.40, n2g and 1 other person like this.
  16. DrewBone

DrewBone

Thanks! I found that pistol at a local gunshop a few years back and it not only came with the brown leather rig shown but also a similar black leather retention holster (that's so stiff that it squeaks whenever I make the slightest movement when wearing it, LOL), and an extra set of grips: in Mother of Pearl. I'm guessing that it's previous owner was a girlie girl :D They are indeed handsome pistols that are all function.

I've always been fond of the little J-frame 'Smiths, and when I carry the one shown I'm carrying it as my primary weapon as well. Chances are neither of us will ever get into an armed confrontation, but it's always nice to have a weapon on your person that's easily carried and concealed ~and~ simple to operate, should the need arise!

17. Overkill777

Overkill777

I have a couple J frames that I like to carry (642 & 442). Also a 9mm SP101 that I really enjoy.

I like shooting and carrying revolvers but lately I've been carrying more higher capacity firearms, with all the social unrest.

1smoothredneck likes this.
  18. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I have carried a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot and Sig Sauer P365 during the warmer months.

I like the ability to draw from the pocket. When I’m walking my hand is already on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

VIS07, snowbird.40 and clancy like this.
  19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Yes. Have been carrying my M&P 340 in an ankle holster on a daily basis. Should I have to take off the 48 or 43X, I still have the J frame.

snowbird.40 and Glock40man like this.
  20. VTEC214

VTEC214

I still carry a S&W 640 PC a lot of the times. It has night sights that are really easy to pick up with your eye like most of my carry semi auto firearms that have night sights. I think most people hate J frames because they don’t take the time to practice time and get proficient with them.