GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody still carry a j frame? My first concealed handgun was a smith and Wesson 637. Then I tried a bodyguard 380 for a little while and hated it. Then bought a g42 recently, and I love it. It shoots great and carries great, but I still find myself wanting to carry my j frame more than anything else. I looked at other 9mms recently like a g43 p365 and hellcat but didn’t buy one. Just curious if anybody else still loves j frames for carry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The j frame fits a specific niche.

It has its unique advantages.

I carry a Glock pistol...but when you need a j frame, there's no substitute.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Does anybody still carry a j frame? My first concealed handgun was a smith and Wesson 637. Then I tried a bodyguard 380 for a little while and hated it. Then bought a g42 recently, and I love it. It shoots great and carries great, but I still find myself wanting to carry my j frame more than anything else. I looked at other 9mms recently like a g43 p365 and hellcat but didn’t buy one. Just curious if anybody else still loves j frames for carry.
My first choice is an M&P40c.

I carry my S&W642 when the M&P is too large for my clothing or in certain other situations. I used to carry it when running on a belt with holster under my running shorts & t-shirt. I've carried it in an OWB or IWB holster as well as a pocket holster. It also works in an ankle holster for suit and tie occasions where the jacket may come off.

It's my choice when the M&P compact is too large. A couple speed loaders in a pocket work too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe in practicing a lot...with the specific pistol you carry. If I carry a pocket gun.. I want to be able to put thousands of rounds per year on that thing.

The only little itty bitty gun that can do that (in my opinion...and you are free to yours) is the j frame.

Plus the j frame is an excellent belly to belly contact distance "get off me gun".
It fits that role well.

And it fits in my pocket.

So those are the things I like about the j frame.

But for overall carry gun... I usually prefer the Glock 19/23. (Then the CZ PO1. And on some days...when the mood strikes, the CZ is my number one pick.)

·
Registered
122 Posts
On occasion I carry the no-dash model 60 in the leather rig shown below; it carries so well that I don't even feel it on my hip or the speed loader in my front jeans pocket:

View attachment 772704
That model 60 is a beauty. No pocket polymer can complete in the looks department.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
i carry a 637, 380BG and occasionally my G36. i do pretty good shooting them and feel confident with all 3.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I guess the 640 is one size up?
Smith made the 640 into a 357 Mag in the 90s iirc.

That added a slight bit of length and a couple ounces of weight. IMO, the original 640 in 38 Special was one of the best concealment guns ever made.

As to the thread, I still own and carry a J-frame on occasion. I don't see ever getting rid of them. A classic that still works quite well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nothing wrong with you carrying a J frame. Just understand you’re ammo challenged in some situations. I carry my 642 in a pocket holster and have a Blackhawk OWB speed scabbard for it. Many times I carry the 642 in my pocket and G23 on my hip.
Carrying the J is better than leaving it at home.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,272 Posts
S&W 442 is my main general carry firearm.

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
Every day.
IMG_1955.JPG

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
That model 60 is a beauty. No pocket polymer can complete in the looks department.
Thanks! I found that pistol at a local gunshop a few years back and it not only came with the brown leather rig shown but also a similar black leather retention holster (that's so stiff that it squeaks whenever I make the slightest movement when wearing it, LOL), and an extra set of grips: in Mother of Pearl. I'm guessing that it's previous owner was a girlie girl :D They are indeed handsome pistols that are all function.

Thanks for the replies. That model 60 is nice. I know some people like them for a back up, but more and more I’m carrying mine for primary.
I've always been fond of the little J-frame 'Smiths, and when I carry the one shown I'm carrying it as my primary weapon as well. Chances are neither of us will ever get into an armed confrontation, but it's always nice to have a weapon on your person that's easily carried and concealed ~and~ simple to operate, should the need arise!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a couple J frames that I like to carry (642 & 442). Also a 9mm SP101 that I really enjoy.

I like shooting and carrying revolvers but lately I've been carrying more higher capacity firearms, with all the social unrest.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have carried a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot and Sig Sauer P365 during the warmer months.

I like the ability to draw from the pocket. When I’m walking my hand is already on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Private side
11,391 Posts
Yes. Have been carrying my M&P 340 in an ankle holster on a daily basis. Should I have to take off the 48 or 43X, I still have the J frame.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I still carry a S&W 640 PC a lot of the times. It has night sights that are really easy to pick up with your eye like most of my carry semi auto firearms that have night sights. I think most people hate J frames because they don’t take the time to practice time and get proficient with them.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts