J Frame vs Glock 43?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fxstchewy, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Ithaca,
    I reciently added LG405 laser grips to my 642. Old eyes. Short barrel. Small sights. Girlfriend likes the revolver, and has a lot the same issues with finding the sight and accessing a potential aggressor under stress. Fast and SCARY EASY to aquire a target, even at some distance, and laser comes on as soon as you close your hand on the grips.

Pocket carries perfectly, and presents out of the pocket like your bare hand. Have carried mine like that for years, and have often stood around in potentially uncomfortable situations or locations with my right hand wrapped around that little 642 with no one the wiser.

I have owned several snubbies. Sold a couple, one stolen, and then purchased another. It just fills so many niches. Pocket carry. Ankle. BUG behind left hip. Primary behind the right hip. To a lesser degree in a fanny pack or in Thunderwear.

Reliable, hard hitting. Just works.

Gray_Rider
    Unreconstructed
    Old Secessh

P.S. I still remember a posed instructional photo of Mas Ayoob as a policeman doing a traffic stop with a the driver opening the door on him, big knife in hand. Mas producing a snubbie out of his right front pocket, straight into the driver's upper chest, and the caption. "SURPRISE DIRTBAG!!"

Mas in the article stated he usually pocket carried a snubbie; hand on the gun butt in the pocket, when he did traffic stops for this exact happenstance.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    ILeft, gp23, happie2shoot and 5 others like this.
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I can shoot my G43 surprisingly well. I can even hold the A zone out to 25 yards at speed. I can’t shoot the J worth a darn past 10 yards. After doing a side by side comparison 6 months ago and learning this, I no longer carry the J outside the house.

I pocket carry the G43.

ILeft and ithaca_deerslayer like this.

3. METS

METS

I have both. I have been carrying my 442 every day with the warm weather I just find it easier to carry.

4. JimmyCat

JimmyCat

I use C.T. LG- 405. red laser and has an space between frame and grip.

ga4boats917 likes this.
  5. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

"like a top." You must be old. :laughing:

cbetts1 likes this.
  6. yep380

yep380

I own a G43, P365 and several J frames.

The G43 is a horrible pocket gun; the square profile on the back of the slide restricts the gun when drawing. The P365 is much better than the G43 in this regard (and many others).

The Js conceal and pocket carry better than both the P365 and G43. The round profile and light weight make for an easy carry. The Js do require practice to be proficient with. The sacrifice with a J vs the others is capacity and reload ease.

I would consider all of them to be equally reliable with a slight nod to the J frames in that category.

7. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

Let's see...double strike capability, ability to function inside a pocket, an easy to conceal shape, SA available, tons of ammo/holster choices, no chance of a FTF due to an inadvertently released magazine, and no possibility of a stovepipe or double-feed...ever. Yes...I'd pick my S&W M638 Airweight over a G43 every time.

IMG_0408.JPG

8. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

This for the WIN.

A few more reasons,
    hard contact shots, five times,
    snake shot with no jams,
    much less of a chance of an AD
    in your pocket or any other time.

IMHO, a g43 is never the best answer,
    too many other great options.

OK, it's best if you are a, glock only,
    kind of a guy, then I feel bad for you.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  9. RutgersGrad

RutgersGrad

With all this talk about Smith Wesson 442's, about about the Bodyguard .38 ? Doesn't seem to be getting much love on this post...

10. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

See post #47...that’s the old Bodyguard. You must mean the new polymer Bodyguard. An interesting piece, but relatively unproven. I’m a bit of a conservative about such things...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  11. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I typically carry a 26 but when I want something smaller I had a 43. I traded it for a LCR but it was too fat so I traded that out for a 42 and think I've found the sweet spot, at least for now. It is so much easier to carry then either the 43 or the LCR.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. John_AZ

John_AZ

Shot one. Didn’t like it. Felt cheap. Cylinder turns the wrong way. Cylinder release wasn’t use friendly for me.

13. yep380

yep380

See my avatar...

The M38 is probably my favorite S&W.

The new, “bodyguard 38”, not so much.

14. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Fire multiple rounds from a coat pocket and see which one works the best.

15. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

who made the wood grips? rosewood tells me they're probably a nice pair of aftermarkets; i take it they don't enclose backstrap based upon your comment.

pachmayr makes a 'compac' grip for jframes that's about as comfortable as it gets (even one handed), but it can be a bit grabby and you need to be conscious of fact when wearing iwb with just a tshirt. they might be a no go for pocket carry for same. their 'compac pro' version has a smaller footprint, but also doesn't cover backstrap so you're going to feel it.

compac for reference...
    [​IMG]

hannstv and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  16. yep380

yep380

17. ga4boats917

ga4boats917

I am not sure who made the rosewood grips (used purchase and they were already on it). They look great, but don’t cover the back strap. Thanks for the suggestion.

18. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

I have some, would not shoot them in a Airweight 38, those things have more juice than alot of .357's, ok in my SP101 but you know when you shoot them, I would hunt deer close range thru a 6" GP100 with those.

ithaca_deerslayer and yep380 like this.
  19. SAO1

SAO1

J-Frames just work. I carry this everywhere/everyday. 340.jpg

20. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

To some, a semi auto with a 6+1 capacity is often challenged, but somehow, a 5-shot revolver never is. I haven't carried a revolver in probably 20 years. But I do have a few. While my 43 is carried mostly. I carry my 642 loaded with snake shot when I'm doing yard work. All personal bias aside, either is a fine choice.

Quigley and ithaca_deerslayer like this.