J Frame vs Glock 43?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fxstchewy, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Gokyo

Gokyo

I own several Kahrs:

P380
    PM9
    P9
    K9
    T9
    P45
    TP45

I would be comfortable carrying any of them.

The P9 is my daily carry.
    The PM9 or the P380 are my pocket carry as the situation dictates.

I have had some reliability issues but all of them have come down to Ammo related issues.

For instance my P45 does not like semi wadcutters. As long as I shoot FMJ round nose or JHP it eats everything.

The P380 loves all commercial Ammo. It does not like my reloads as much. I do not blame it my 380 reloads are terrible (my reloads for it are made using a Lee hand press using surplus 9mm 115 gr bullets).

I honestly do not understand people beef with Kahr. They do require a break in period but then they just run like a top.

Tuscany, Gray_Rider and dbuck47 like this.
  2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Of the choices you listed, the G43. Increased capacity, increased bullet performance and more ammo options available that are also less expensive generally.

However, rather than the G43 I'd go with an LC9s or better yet, the 365. Same sized package with more capacity and options than the G43.

happie2shoot and dbuck47 like this.

3. Bradley T

Bradley T

G43.

My shooting buddy carried a Kahr forever. Nary a complaint.

dbuck47 likes this.
  4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Just to include more guns, here are my fully loaded weights, in ounces, with factory mags and plus 1 in the chamber.
    9mm is 124gr
    .38 is 158gr

LCP = 12.0, at 7 rounds .380.
    S&W 642 = 17.3, at 5 rounds.
    G43 = 21.0, at 7 rounds.
    G43x = 23.5, at 11 rounds.
    S&W 640 = 24.8, at 5 rounds.
    G26 = 26.3, at 11 rounds.

dbuck47 and TeaDub like this.
  5. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

I'll take the Glock 43 versus any 5 or 6 shot snubnose revolver out there.

dbuck47 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  6. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

I kept my 642 for winter pocket carry. Can cover someone keeping your hands "warm". No one thinks anything about it. 5 for sure through the pocket. LC9S and on up any other time. Usually M&P or a G19.

dbuck47 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The 642 is great for winter pocket carry.

So is the 640 or any of the .357 mag J frames. Load it up hot. You won't feel the recoil because of your mittens, and you won't hear the noise because of your earflaps :)

Seriously though, for those in snow country, a snubbie revolver carried in the outer coat pocket is a heck of a lot more accessible than the Glock 19 carried under your snow bibs :)

JimmyCat, Gray_Rider, dbuck47 and 3 others like this.
  8. VTEC214

VTEC214

I carry both, a 640 and the G43 at times. Both have pros and cons. I tend to carry the 640 more in the winter as I could fire it in a jacket or coat pocket or right up against something and its gonna go bang. The thing also with a J frame is its shape, I carry my 640 in a appendix holster or in a front or rear pants pocket and its like its not even there. Just make sure what ever you one you pick train/practice with it as much as possible. ​

9. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

I carry my 642 daily. I carry my g30 often.
    I hate the 43.

Gray_Rider, dbuck47 and John_AZ like this.
  10. Glock40man

Glock40man

I like the G43. But, most of the time I'll take a J-frame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

11. ga4boats917

ga4boats917

I have a 442; my smallest 9mm is a Shield. I have been pocket carrying a Taurus Spectrum lately. I may rotate the 442 in, but it is my least favorite gun to shoot from a comfort standpoint. For those of you who carry the 442/642, what would be good replacement grips? For reference, I bought the 442 used and it’s rosewood grips are a major factor in the comfort issue.

dbuck47 likes this.
  12. dbuck47

dbuck47

Its not either or for me, but if I could only have one for possible pocket carry, the J frame wins.

I am not comfortable with a striker fired pistol for pocket carry. I haven't shot a 43, but I have shot a Shield, and I shoot a small striker fired pistol much better than a J frame. So for all instances except pocket carry, the 43 wins for me.

I know there are holsters for pocket carry, I know we should be ever conscious of safety, etc., etc., but the simple fact is that a with stock J frame it is virtually impossible to have an A/D even without a holster in an empty pocket. With a small striker fired pistol, there is a definite possibility. Not a likelihood maybe, but a definite possibility unless you are 100% focused.

The dead round drill for a revolver is decidedly simple: pull the trigger again and a fresh round rolls up. It doesn't matter what you put in the cylinder-if it is good ammo it will "feed". You don't have to worry about magazine interchangeability. You won't lose your spare magazine. There are many ways to carry spare ammo.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

I carry a 642, fits in my pocket better than my LC9. I weighed them, the LC is 3 oz heavier loaded. The 642 is much easier to draw from the pocket. I don't have a tiny Glock, shot a friends .380, shoots great. The shape of the semis doesn't work for me carried in my front pocket. I wouldn't carry a glock in my pocket anyway due to the lack of a safety.

14. Orive 8

Orive 8

In my experience (I've owned lots of different J frames over the years, always carried one as my BUG while on duty; and I have owned 10 or so Glock 43s too) the J frame is more reliable. Which one would I depend on to protect myself or my family, either one would work.

With that said, I no longer have any 43s (didn't enjoy shooting them) and I still have a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard (original bodyguard) for those "I'm not carrying a gun" gun occasions. I will probably always have a snubby in my kit - it is a very versatile gun, that to me is its appeal.

15. jcullen

jcullen

Bought a G43 with plans of pocket carry like my 442, not comfortable carrying a chambered auto in my pocket, even in a pocket holster. Sold G43 still have 6 Glocks

dbuck47 likes this.
  16. John_AZ

John_AZ

Look for a pair of the old Uncle Mikes boot grips. I scrounge up a pair for every j frame I get (that’s not classic blued)

D82ED702-D5C2-4FB3-ACC0-67B036227EEB.jpeg

BobCZ, nitesite10mm, JimmyCat and 4 others like this.
  17. ga4boats917

ga4boats917

Thanks John much appreciated. That looks exactly like my no lock 442 other than the grips.

nitesite10mm, dbuck47 and John_AZ like this.
  18. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I definitely prefer the G43 for the reasons mentioned previously. Much more shootable and more capacity. Reliability is excellent if you don’t tinker with it and use quality ammunition. Shoot it enough to shoot it well and trust it. I also like the G42 a lot.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Ever consider laser grips? I like the Crimson Trace LG405 is what I have on my 637. I've been testing them out for a couple years, and might move them to my carry 642. If not, then I second the vote for Uncle Mike's boot grips, which I think what is on, or similar to, my 642 (factory stock).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  20. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I sold my model 60 J frame long ago. My snubbies are K frames. J frames just don’t feel right in my big mitts.

I do carry a G43 regularly since I retired late last year. I pretty much live in cargo shorts all summer and have been walking 4 miles a day minimum for exercise. The G43 goes along regularly IWB, if I don’t want to belt carry my G27.3, which is my EDC.

ithaca_deerslayer and John_AZ like this.