Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
woo woo
31,040 Posts
Me no, but there are a few here that run the old 'sliver' grips, esp with a tyler insert in the newer airweights.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im really just wanting to see some pictures. I wouldn't wanna buy a set and have it look like garbage. I am going for good concealability.

·
Registered
32,966 Posts
Here's a question, I've been wondering for a long time. I'll ask it now.

What is the purpose of those older grips? Why do they want your middle finger to get so high up behind the trigger grip?

And this question has nothing to do with wood versus rubber, but rather the shape of the old slender grip that every seems to add "Tyler T-grips" to anyway.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
I much prefer boot grips as well. The old style grips are not comfortable on a lightweight gun. A Tyler t-grip helps but boot grips are better.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I much prefer boot grips as well. The old style grips are not comfortable on a lightweight gun. A Tyler t-grip helps but boot grips are better.
I have Hogue Bantam bott grips on my 637 right now. They just tend to grab clothing. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy a set of the S&W smooth wood boot grips.

·
woo woo
31,040 Posts
I have Hogue Bantam bott grips on my 637 right now. They just tend to grab clothing. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy a set of the S&W smooth wood boot grips.
IMO the best boot grips are Spegels, the Uncle Mikes that used to come on the airweights used the Spegel shape, but from rubber.
Expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO the best boot grips are Spegels, the Uncle Mikes that used to come on the airweights used the Spegel shape, but from rubber.
Expensive, but worth it.
Yeah, the uncle mikes grips suck. Thats why I replaced them with hogue. Ill check out spegel.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the older grips but I LOVE the C.T laser grips. That's what my carry J frame wears.
My mom has a 642 with laser grips. I like them, but they arent worth the money to me. I am having trouble putting $60 grips on this gun, much less $260...

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
My 442 still wears the stock Uncle Mike's boot grips. I really prefer wood, but I can't bring myself to pay $100+ for Hogue Bantam's or Spegel's.

I'm not a laser fan, but I can see where they would be especially useful on a J-frame. I like CT's LG-405 design, not as much for the recoil reduction, but for the added distance it give me from the trigger. $250 is a lot of money though...

·
PRO 2A
2,154 Posts
I'm not a laser fan, but I can see where they would be especially useful on a J-frame. I like CT's LG-405 design, not as much for the recoil reduction, but for the added distance it give me from the trigger. $250 is a lot of money though...
To me the LG405s completely change the dynamic of the 442. $250 is a lot, they can be found for less. Even at $250 they are worth every penny on a J Frame.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I prefer the look of wood but use rubber grips on my 442 and 642.

My 442 gets carried at work as a BUG and gets soaked on occasion when directing traffic in the rain. Plus, if I ever have to use it and it gets bloody for some reason (my blood or the perp's blood) I want it as "grippy" as possible.

I have always liked the "look" of the older, checkered walnut grips with a Tyler T adapter. I had a model 19 with a 2.5 inch barrel years ago with that set up. It was gorgeous.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
The LG405 lasergrips are nice. They do really help in shooting a j frame fast.

I like ahrends wood grips. They aren't quite as fancy as Spegels but they are nice for half the money.

·
RIP Poom . . .
1,120 Posts
The guy I just bought my J-frame .38 from put those "older" style grips on the gun. The first thing I did was replace them. That old style grip is to small for me.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The old style grips are lightweight, easy to conceal and have that 'classic' look. I have kept them on my model 36 and find they work OK. I am using the FBI load- a 38 +P lead hollow point and don't find the recoil objectionable. Remember, this is a defensive pistol (yes, I am using the term correct. You guys who insist on using 'pistol' for semiautomatics are wrong). Most use of this gun is going to be up front and in dire straits. You'll never notice the recoil as you use your gat. The wooden grips work fine in a pocket of a coat, jeans or hoodie - working for me at least! YMMV. My CCH is a G36:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts