close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I've moved to the dark side.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cjcharvet, Jun 17, 2012.

1. cjcharvet

cjcharvet

Took my New Glock 26 Gen 3 to the range today. This is the first Glock I've ever owned and I'm sold. I've wrongly misjudged Glocks by the "pick up and hold" test at the LGS. They just never felt right. Last month I shot a friend's 27 and knew it was time to retire my 380 carry gun.

Long story short, I traded a couple guns I was no longer in love with, sold some reloading equipment I don't use, got a new Glock, and will still be cash positive after I get my leather. Good weekend.

Now the waiting game on the leather....

2. barth

barth six barrels

I waited 20+ years to buy a Glock.
    Always felt like a plastic brick in my hand.
    And the trigger feels like a staple gun.

I finally got a gen 3 G27 last year.
    Actually shooting and owning the gun changes everything.

I kind of went off the deep end
    with barrels, sights, connectors, trigger and spring combinations.
    But the result has been pretty spectacular.

I've got 8 handguns and it's one of my favorites to shoot.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

3. cjcharvet

cjcharvet

I've trimmed my arsenal down to 2 handguns not including my wife's. A Springfield 1911 and the Glock 26. A perfect pair for some range time.

4. bac1023

bac1023

5. mj9mm

mj9mm

sounds like you lightened your load and made some good deals, this is your first Glock, but not your last:whistling:

6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

When I see or hear someone refer to being a Darksider or moving to the Darkside I think of a Black Powder shooter but welcome to the Glock world. SJ 40

7. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

When I was looking for my first gun my friend worked at a local gun store. He loved Glocks, wore Glock apparel, and was always talking Glock this and Glock that.

The day I went into the store to look at potential choices, he was trying to sell me on a Glock 19. He took one out of the case, racked the slide and handed it to me. I was not happy with it AT ALL - it felt cheap and flimsy, not like how I had imagined a "gun" should feel. I told him to show me something else, but he insisted that I shoot his OD 19 before finally deciding against Glock. I went into the range with a "yea whatever" attitude and, of course, it confirmed that I didn't want a Glock.

So I bought an H&K P30. I loved the way it sat in my hand. But over the next few weeks, as I was shooting it side-by-side with my friends Beretta, I began to really dislike the trigger break. Everything else on that gun was great, but the trigger was really ****ty. However, I kept it for a few years, putting several thousand rounds through it, and even at the end, at the 2000th+ round I still didn't know where the trigger would break.

And then I sold it...

From that point on, all that mattered to me was how nice the trigger was. I started looking at guns again, and eventually stumbled upon a $1200 Sig Sauer P226 E2. I LOVED the trigger, and I was sold. I picked it up and shot it happily for about 6 months. But once again, as I shot it I learned that the bore-axis was really too high for my tastes. I never felt like I was as accurate as I could be with it because I was so disconnected from the vector of the projectiles.

So I sold that...

Then one day I ended up shooting with my friend from the gun store again, and I once again got to shoot his OD Glock 19. So there I was, three years later, holding the same gun in the same situation, and this time I loved it.

So I picked up my first Glock, a Gen 4 19, 2 weeks later...

I think there is something about Glock that appeals to the more experienced shooter. New shooters want the guns they see in the movies; guns with nickel plated slides and lasers and carbon fiber heat shields. However, as the new shooter tries a variety of guns, and learns what is "good" versus what is "bad, then the Glock really begins to stand alone as the one gun that offers everything that you NEED and nothing that you don't.

8. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Congrats! Always good to hear another Glock success story. Welcome:wavey:

9. cjcharvet

cjcharvet

Thanks guys. Another nice thing about Glocks is the simplicity and like the 1911, the availablility of parts.

I always found myself with the first model of whatever just came out, and never with a "tried and true". I guess I'm just tired of being the unpaid R&D department.

10. beagbox

beagbox

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Enjoy your G26. I continue to believe that the G26 is about Glock's best.

12. Adamz04

Adamz04

Congratulations, the 26 was my first as well. I'd been through beretta, NAA, ruger, and Springfield armory before I got the 26 and I'll never go back.

Now I got a 26, 19, 32, and looking for a gen 4 33

13. denn1911

denn1911

My G26 is one of my favorites. Congrats and good luck with it. I'm sure it'll serve you well.

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Great Story, sorry you had to spend alot on sigs and hk's, I only had to go through one HK before i met my glock 26...then met its cousin the 17..and met my cousin's twin brother's Glock 19 and Glock 19 Austrian proof'ed.

15. bcj128

bcj128

I did pretty much the same thing. My department issues Glock 22's, but when we opened up carry options, I bought a 1911. When I got tired of the 1911's maintenance needs, I went to a HK P2000. When I got tired of the P2000 trigger pull, I went to a Sig P226 in. 9mm. But I soon got tired of dinging the frame of my pretty sig every time I got into and out of the patrol car. Finally I went to a Glock 35. It's been with me for years now. After 20 years of working with Glocks, it's just what I know and trust.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Kydex and Glock go together :)

17. kj4963

kj4963

I started with Glocks, bought a few other brands. Like them, but still love my Glocks.

18. larson1122

larson1122

19. PBone

PBone Glock 21

Congrats on the purchase!

20. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I saw my first Glock in the early 80's and (being a 1911 fanatic) thought two things:

1. This "thing" looks like it was designed by Woody Woodpecker.

2. Plastic guns!!! How stupid!!! They'll never catch on!!!

Thirty years and many guns later, I bought my first Glock in a moment of weakness. Now, I have three and won't leave home without my G26 on my side.