I've made up my mind

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dst10spr97, Feb 21, 2007.

1. dst10spr97

dst10spr97

I think I want to participate in the Brighton Match as well as the Annual Glock Shoot in Conyers. Since these will be my first matches ever (my first time in any shooting sport) does each match offer a new shooter briefing? Anyone regularly participate in these matches? How many people usually turn out? Are there a lot of female participants? What about people to help walk you through your first time? And how early should I register? I think both of them are in September so I have what 6-7 months or so. I think participating in these activities will allow me to have some fun before Fall semester gets underway and I'm bombarded in reading and research. And who knows I'm sure I'll meet some great people. Maybe I'll find me a husband. :rofl:

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Yes, there is a mandatory briefing for 1st time shooters. Attendance is about 300 entries over the two-day match, but Conyers draws 500+. There are plenty of women and children shooters, and you will find all kinds of friendly help at a GSSF match. Just be sure to bring 4 magazines.

3. dst10spr97

dst10spr97

Now I'm all exciting September hurry up and come. I'm going to invite my kin folks down when I go to Brighton. I grew up not that far from there. Thanks for replying.

4. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Since you want to go to Michigan, go to the GSSF Match in Marietta, Ohio, July 28/29th and see what it's like. You'll have fun at GSSF matches, and shooters are always willing to help newcomers. The ROs are friendly and willing to help newbies. JUst tell the ROs this is your first match and they will lead you through the paces. It's fun, and yes, there are plenty of women shooters, you won't be alone. If you are alone, then you'll be the HIGH FEMALE shooter, won't you. But, trust me, you won't be the only female. Not at least if I go to the match and I plan on Brighten as I've been there the last two years. Hope to see you at a match.

5. FESTUS

FESTUS Guest

Gina...interesting amusing and candid...hope all goes well and I'm sure you will be surrounded by males who appreciate Women who shoot Glocks....Glockess 56 is our Only Female shooter so far and you might keep in touch with (Sharon) aka Glockess 56 on questions and progress..there are more and more Women getting involved and I believe GSSF is the ideal stepping stone for getting involved....there are also other matches held that may be closer...and even if you are hesitating for preparation for the event you may want to consider looking at the other matches as well....IndyGlockers and Sharon does alot of traveling....last year I drove 13 hours one way to attend a match. Do not be afraid of not being ready if you have a Mentor to walk you through...theres also another Team....lets see thats hmmmmm yes Carver Mounts...these wonderful people have many team members actually located in Florida and actually have mentored most of us IndyGlockers...they will probably see this post and introduce themselves and offer help as well...sooooo...welcome and we will look forwarded to meeting you in person.:wavey:

6. ede

ede

not that i or alot of my shooting friends know much about this but i'm sure someone could get with you and help you out at the match.

7. windplex

windplex

I recenly competed in my first shooting competition. What is most important and will get you kicked out are safety issues -- as you would like it to be: Safe.

They will pay particular attention to when and where you load and touch your weapon. You will learn of a safe area (wrong term) which is the only place you can load and unload once you arrive. So read the rules and be prepared to follow the safety rules in particular. Always be aware of where you point your muzzle -- a good rule anyway. Keep your weapon holstered or in a bag until it is time for your competition and then remove it per the rules. Load it per the rules. After shooting. Empty the weapon completely per the rules(range officer (RO) will double check your weapon to be sure it is empty including the round in the pipe has been removed) when the RO gives the OK then holster the empty weapon.

You will get tips on the how to shoot each actual station; I would focus most of my efforts on safey as a first timer.

Now that I have warned you, I can tell you that you will have a great time! You will also learn what tehnique areas you need to improve. But mostly it will be great fun!
    Windplex
    Ps. If you wold like to shoot and move you should try USPSA or IDPA and there are likely other shooting clubs that offer this as well.

Edited to add: PPS. ask how many rounds you need to bring for the match. Be sure to bring and shoot with the original barrel for the glock for GSSF.

8. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

NO AMMO is allowed in the designated "Safe Area". You may only handle your weapon there and on the firing line at the direction of the RO. You may load magazines ANYWHERE.:thumbsup:

9. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

in the upper midwest. There's a northern contingent of solid citizens who make the trek to Brighton from MN & WI since its inception (and then do Hallsvile, MO on the same weekend) who've mentored several shooters, ladies included. You'll enjoy Brighton - nice folks, fine match. :thumbsup:

I'm sure one of those disciples will be getting dragged along this year, possibly two... if we all go to Brighton it might take two vehicles as we won't even make it into Dwight's State Dept-sized Suburban. Loads of fun.

Nonetheless, you'd do lots worse than hooking up with the FL contingent for match prep - them guys can shoot a bit when the swamp's drained. We have to wait till ours thaw out... ;)

Disclaimer: Not an actual member of Team Carver Mounts, just a continuing student. (with a fresh optical Rx looking to return scores back down to '05 numbers) Void where I'm prohibited by law. :supergrin:

:patriot:

Edit: That's solid citizens Don, not senior... :animlol:

Edit-2: Ooops! :shocked: I just realized I WILL be a senior when I shoot Brighton & Hallsville this year. OK, $.42 coffee is alright...

10. Don At PC

The "Senior Citizen" kinda creeps upon you before you know it, doesn't it? :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: :wavey:

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I just knew you needed another laugh today pard!

Have a good weekend; am poppin' smoke. Butch & Dwight are comin' over to head to the drug house with me. You know Butch, he never met a box of .50BMG rounds he didn't like...

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

But you know what one of the best benifits is-- the Senior cup of

coffee from Micky dees.

and the refills are free.

13. ede

ede

damnit i don't drink coffee, is there ANYTHING i have to look forward to in the next few years?

14. dst10spr97

dst10spr97

I'm not a senior but I wish I could get a Starbucks discount. I am thinking about taking my brother with me to the shoot in Brighton. Would we both be able to use my G-19 if we are shooting the same day? I guess my question would be is there an option as to what time of the day you want to shoot or is it whenever your time comes up?

15. Don At PC

Yes, a Hell of a lot more aches and pains and body malfunctions. :wavey:

16. ede

ede

yes you can share the same gun. you shoot when it's your turn, you can't shoot until you get there so arrive when it fits in with your plans. i like to get there early but getting there late usually has less of a wait and sometimes it doesn't matter, everyone waits.

17. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Too bad you missed the GSSF match in Orlando this year. Fun had by all here in Central Florida. If you live near we can certainly help you do some practice as we have some plate racks at the club and lots of bays to set of a practice match.

Keep an eye out for the Pensacola match as well.

I hope to get up to Ft. Benning and Conyers. Waiting on some gas money overtime to kick in.

18. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:animlol:

That's EXACTLY where I got my first unsolicited discount; young gal (hell, these days they're all young gals) rang up my coffee and said 42 cents, and I kinda :headscratch: and then she explained her PC-interpretation of me as an OF.

But I love their coffee, and I'll take it! :thumbsup: