close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I've got ISSUES! Help a newb.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by c10bonanza, Jan 21, 2006.

1. c10bonanza

c10bonanza Hobo

I have two issues (that I know about!!)

1. I run a Dell notebook with Windows XP Home Edition. I had a critical update icon pop up on my toolbar recently. I tried to download it, but got the message "Critical Update for XP unable to install (KB888162).

EDIT: I just received this pop up message: "The Windows Service Pack insallation did not complete. This system is in an unstable state. Go to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs snd choose to uninstal the Service Pack."

SOoooo...I tried to do that, but then received a warning message that if I unistalled this service pack, the below listed items may not function properly. You can guess it mentioned almost everything on my computer, sound controls, programs you name it. ANY ADVICE ON WHAT I NEED TO DO????? Also, I have a bunch of service packs listed in my add/remove file. Should I normally have 15-20 of these?

2. I was uninstallling some programs today, and noticed that I have maybe 50 different Windows Hotfix 'programs'. WTH are these things? Are they legit and do I need them?

3. I know that I have some spyware/adware on my computer that Avast found and recommended be put in the "virus chest". My question is twofold: a.) How can I fix or delete these? A couple of the issues were w.32 somethings that had to do with my volume system controls. b.) would a spyware program clean those issues up? If so, is Spyware Doctor really worth the $30, or will Spybot Search and Destroy do the same thing?

Okay so I lied...I had 3 questions. Come on GlockTalk Techies, help a brother out!!!!

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Okay.

Problem #1: The SP2 Live Update is pure bunk--you can't reliably install ANY M$ UPDATE WITH AN ANTIVIRUS ENGINE RUNNING!!

So the only answer to that is to use System Restore to revert to a pre-SP1.5 condition and order the free CD from BGates.

Turn off everything first, from AV app to IM apps...everything but Explorer.exe and its support proggies needs to be shut down.

Since this is a Dell you may need to install the service pack while in Safe Mode to get everything to work; even a running WiFi driver can b0rk the install. Lovely, isn't it?

As far as the Avast Virus Chest goes, simply R. click its icon in the system tray (near the clock) and open it. From the Menu select Virus Chest and delete everything in it.

As far as hotfixes in Add -n- Remove, those are M$ patches your machine installed on the fly. Don't delete them; SP2 will overwrite most of those files anyhow as it contains all of SP1 and every critical patch since then to the time of its release.

If you have broadband, you can just download the Redist SP2 executable from microsoft.com, burn it to a disk, and never have to worry about this problem again.

Sounds like this should be an easy fix. Good luck!

Best regards,

Eric

3. DragonRider

DragonRider

Or

Backup whole system (data)
    Reinstall OS-updates-Office-updates-Antivirus/Firewall-Then finally other needed programs and copy data back over. Depending on Size of hard drive, data to be backed up and connection to the internet this can all be done in as little as 2 hours to as many as 8.

I redo my system every 3-4 months, my wifes every 6. If nothing else, this will teach you the value of having backups, just think if your system wouldn't boot.

Good Luck,
    John