GlockTalk Forum banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I can say that the intermittent fasting worked for me. I went three weeks on the 6/18 schedule with intake only between noon and six. I also had no beer and fewer other carbs for those three weeks. I have always exercised about daily. I dropped a few pounds and fit comfortably into some previous jeans.

I can't go strictly with pounds lost. I vary too much just from liquids. However, jeans are not forgiving. According to the never forgiving, Monday morning blue jean challenge, I shrunk.

I took a few days off, swelled a little :), and the plan starts again today. I call it a plan vs. diet. Diet is just some kind of failure word in my vocabulary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve been doing a combination of intermittent fasting (16:8) and dietary change of eating more fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, whole grains, and salads ( Nutritarian diet). I’ve lost 46 pounds in 3 months and still dropping. Best part are my blood pressure and sugar levels are excellent (no medication).

There was a study published last December that stated time-restricted eating results in weight loss, reduced abdominal fat, lowered blood pressure and cholesterol. The eating window in this study was 10 hours with 14 hours of fasting.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I’ve been doing a combination of intermittent fasting (16:8) and dietary change of eating more fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, whole grains, and salads ( Nutritarian diet). I’ve lost 46 pounds in 3 months and still dropping. Best part are my blood pressure and sugar levels are excellent (no medication).

There was a study published last December that stated time-restricted eating results in weight loss, reduced abdominal fat, lowered blood pressure and cholesterol. The eating window in this study was 10 hours with 14 hours of fasting.
I don't think I've gained a pound since Jan 1, 2020.

Lost 50. And for each of those, never went back up a pound again.

Let the skeptics think about that for a moment. NO WEIGHT GAIN.

:)

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I still have my ADF planned, have not pulled the trigger yet though.

I've lost weight many times by calorie deficit so I'm no stranger to what I'm going to experience, but never done an IF regimen.

Do I have this right?

I'm planning an alternate day fast schedule.

So the fasting days are simple. Only water, seltzer, black coffee or unsweetened tea.

On my eating days though, do I eat my normal calorie requirements that I get from adding my base metabolic rate calories + activity? I've hear this referred to as total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) caloric requirements.

So in reality, my fasting period would be from dinner on eating days to breakfast on my next eating day which by my math is ~38 hrs. of fasting. (Ex. 6pm Monday dinner to 8am breakfast Wednesday) Is this a normal ADF time frame?

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
I still have my ADF planned, have not pulled the trigger yet though.

I've lost weight many times by calorie deficit so I'm no stranger to what I'm going to experience, but never done an IF regimen.

Do I have this right?

I'm planning an alternate day fast schedule.

So the fasting days are simple. Only water, seltzer, black coffee or unsweetened tea.

On my eating days though, do I eat my normal calorie requirements that I get from adding my base metabolic rate calories + activity? I've hear this referred to as total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) caloric requirements.

So in reality, my fasting period would be from dinner on eating days to breakfast on my next eating day which by my math is ~38 hrs. of fasting. (Ex. 6pm Monday dinner to 8am breakfast Wednesday) Is this a normal ADF time frame?
I don't ADF, so I don't have the experience with it. But in general, in my 23/1 OMAD, the emphasis is on eating a well rounded meal and until full, without specifically counting calories.

So my guess is on your eat days, you should eat plenty and be happy and full. Your weekly calorie total (even without counting) will no doubt be less than it otherwise would be.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have decided that most all of what we have been told and believe about eating by the medical/.gov/media for the past 2-3 generations is total bunk.

I’m doing 22/2 fasting Mon-Fri and a more conventional 2 meals per day on weekends (for now for social reasons) and also considering more and more what I’m hearing in the carnivore diet community.

Yes, it sounds radical but i think this has merit.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8tJ-R28HX8

·
It ain't over
7,982 Posts
The US Congressional race for my district is between a really good, ex-cop, Republican and a woman Dim. Nothing wrong with women politicians. I can name plenty of them.

This Dim challenger has TV spots complaining that she has to spend money for insulin. She claims she'll work to lower drug prices. Sh appears to be 50+ pounds overweight. If she would lose the weight she probably wouldn't need insulin. Not always, but being normal weight is the best way to fight diabetes.

I would like to ask her why she thinks i should help pay for her insulin - I didn't eat all the donuts that put on her pounds. Tough talk - it's not easy to lose weight. But it can be done. Many, many, diabetics are
obese. Just about all obese people are diabetic. It's not rocket science.

Weight is generally a personal choice. Not wanting to be obese is not enough. You have to work at normal weight. Today's sedentary life styles (read TV, smart phone, etc.), fast food and snacking make weight gain very easy.

Rant off - need to get out for my walk! Load MP3 and out the door!

·
Registered
30,212 Posts
Well, almost finished with day one, so far so good. Not really hungry. I find myself planning my breakfast. I’m thinking cottage cheese and crackers and/or broccoli and hollandaise sauce.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Size of butthole vs size of mouth. And no bread, grain, pasta, potatoes, sugar.... its easy.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Less caloric intake, stop feeding so much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've done fasting a number of times. Some 24 hour fasts and one 4 day fast. A really good book on it is "The Miracle of Fasting" by Paul Bragg. I suggest drinking distilled water during a fast as it helps get toxins out of you since your body has more time to work on doing that when it is not constantly working on digestion processes.

·
It ain't over
7,982 Posts
Well, almost finished with day one, so far so good. Not really hungry. I find myself planning my breakfast. I’m thinking cottage cheese and crackers and/or broccoli and hollandaise sauce.
I planned today's breakfast when I got my first cup of coffee. Two chocolate chip cookies nuked until the chips melted a little. Sugar and caffeine is a good way for an old fossil to start the day!

Reactions: nursetim

·
Registered
30,212 Posts
I broke the fast about 12 hours early. I ate at about 11 and at 7, I feel worse than when I was fasting. Maybe eating doesn’t agree with me. I feel like chewed bubble gum.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I broke the fast about 12 hours early. I ate at about 11 and at 7, I feel worse than when I was fasting. Maybe eating doesn’t agree with me. I feel like chewed bubble gum.
Yep. Pretty intense discomfort. Over the years when I've switched from IFing back to three squares, that has usually been the reason.

I think there are ways to break the fast that hurt more than others. Lol. The Warrior Diet has some suggestions for this iirc.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
So 60 hours? What are the possible positive advantages about a 72 compared to a 48?

I just finished a 48 hour yesterday, 10 am. I made myself eggs, bacon and sausage and felt darned good. I haven't eaten since 10 am yesterday, so that will be a 24 fast. 1 breakfast in 72 hours. I lost 3 lbs this time and was not particularly hungry. I found out if one is going to fast.. eat zero, nothing, not a morsel of anything... a bite can then make me feel starving for hours. If I only have coffee and water, I don't feel hungry hardly at all for the 48 hours.

I seriously reduced calories this year, did real good at cutting bread, desserts, junk food, combined with starting the IF thing and am happy to say I have lost 56 lbs so far in 2020.

This thread has helped me a lot as well!

261 - 280 of 291 Posts