Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,036 Posts
I would suggest you go to your local range and rent several glocks and then decide. My first glock was the G19.

Welcome and hang on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
I'm fixing to purchase a small hand gun. Trying to find out all important things before purchase.
Welcome to neighborhood. Congratulations on your decision to seek a more compact weapon. I myself would recommend a compact such as a G19 or a sub compact such as a G26 or G30s. I carry any of the three regularly along with G22/4. 6' and 185lb. Have no problem with printing.

·
A swamp dude
11,353 Posts
It will help if you are a little more specific. :)

How will you use it? Range? Home defense? Concealed carry?

Are you new to shooting sports?
These are important questions, especially the query about how much experience you have with firearms, handguns in particular.

Your gun choice should be driven by your firearm skills level.

·
19,060 Posts
I prefer the smallest gun in a major defensive cartridge I can comfortably and discretely carry under all conditions. That would be either a Glock 43 or a Glock 42 but only with Underwood plus+P 90 grain JHP's which elevates the .380 to the entry level of a major defensive cartridge.

And I wouldn't use aftermarket magazine extensions with either gun. After years of carrying a 5 shot J-frame, 6+1 rounds is plenty if you make every shot count, and reloads are much faster with a semi-auto than with a revolver.

I've tried carrying a G23 which is the same size as a G19 and it's just too large and chunky for sustained IWB carry. A G43x might not be bad, but I've never tried it.

·
Happiness is where you find it
403 Posts
Hi Binkie, I recommend a 9mm for starters. Twas what the Glock was originally designed for.

Which one depends on a lot of factors, but for general purpose - a G19 is the most popular for a reason.
Welcome aboard!

feel free to PM me with specific questions.

I know a fella with your handle, where you located bud?

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Glock 43 if you can handle the punch. Glock 19 if you cannot. I am a .40 guy but when it comes to sub compacts, 9mm is a big as I go. I got a deal on a brand new Walther PPS M2 with Metal, luminous sights and a 6,7 and 8 round mag at Bud’s for $295 and too it. Now they are $361. The Glock 43, made in Austria with a combat green frame is $460. That’s a good deal. You can carry one small mag in each front pocket easily. I carry 22 rounds of +p 147 Grain JHP. Nice package.

·
19,060 Posts
Glock 43 if you can handle the punch. Glock 19 if you cannot. I am a .40 guy but when it comes to sub compacts, 9mm is a big as I go. I got a deal on a brand new Walther PPS M2 with Metal, luminous sights and a 6,7 and 8 round mag at Bud’s for $295 and too it. Now they are $361. The Glock 43, made in Austria with a combat green frame is $460. That’s a good deal. You can carry one small mag in each front pocket easily. I carry 22 rounds of +p 147 Grain JHP. Nice package.
"I am a .40 guy but when it comes to sub compacts, 9mm is a big as I go."

Have you ever shot a 40 caliber S&W Shield? the shield is larger than a G43 and in 40 caliber it's very controllable and recoil does not even approach the pain threshold. unlike shooting 357 magnum out of an airweight J-frame.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
"I am a .40 guy but when it comes to sub compacts, 9mm is a big as I go."

Have you ever shot a 40 caliber S&W Shield? the shield is larger than a G43 and in 40 caliber it's very controllable and recoil does not even approach the pain threshold. unlike shooting 357 magnum out of an airweight J-frame.
Nossir——-thanks for the head’s up. I am on a new mission —— made in America by American companies only when possible. I will Check them out!

Reactions: Danielsuzuki

·
Registered
16,299 Posts
Hi
I'm fixing to purchase a small hand gun. Trying to find out all important things before purchase.
Did you grow up with long gun experience, i.e. hunting, rifles, shotguns? If not, then be extremely mindful of safety rules while handling your new firearm. It will become second-nature to comply with safe practices after a while, but if you haven't had much experience with firearms before, following safety rules is a little more difficult with handguns than long guns (that's why I asked). Keep this in mind as you go.

Also, with a Glock, a good way of looking at things is that the holster is a manual safety. Some handgun designs have manual safeties, some do not. A Glock has several passive safeties to make accidental discharge less likely, but nothing to stop the gun going bang once someone's finger is on the trigger. But the holster makes sure the trigger can't be touched. So once a loaded Glock is removed from it's holster, think of it as the same as if the safety is off.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2015/7/the-rules-of-nra-gun-safety/

Finally, welcome to GT!!

·
A swamp dude
11,353 Posts
Did you grow up with long gun experience, i.e. hunting, rifles, shotguns? If not, then be extremely mindful of safety rules while handling your new firearm....

Also, with a Glock, a good way of looking at things is that the holster is a manual safety. Some handgun designs have manual safeties, some do not. A Glock has...nothing to stop the gun going bang once someone's finger is on the trigger....the holster makes sure the trigger can't be touched. [but] once a loaded Glock is removed from its holster, think of it as the same as if the safety is off.
Good post.

Another way of looking at things is that unintended discharges happen when a Glock pistol is outside of the holster. The holster offers no safety protection any time the pistol is out for practice at home or the range, cleaning, setting it on the nightstand, gripping it any time for protection or just handling it for any other reason.

Training and lots of practice are required for handling all handguns safely. This is especially true with Glock pistols.

Reactions: Grabbrass

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
I have always been a mid to full size guy for concealed carry but after carry a sub compact for a while, it’s addictive. They are so easy to carry and stats show not that many rounds are required in a self defense scenario, God forbid. If this economy goes sideways and the Wal Mart toilet paper fighting goes to the next level, the sub compact will be in the safe and the Mid and full size pistols will come out.

Reactions: Teecher45

·
Banned
547 Posts
19 or 26, because happy sticks.

Reactions: Danielsuzuki

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome. I just entered the Glockosphere and am in love with my 42. I carry supersonic defense loads and feel it has nothing to be ashamed of. It's a gun, it goes bang every time, it's a good shooter, AND I can pocket carry in some pants. I'm 5'11, 185 pounds. No printing. That's for EDC. For HD, it's a bigger double-stack 9 and a couple 12ga.

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
There are OTHER GUNS THAN
GLOCK :couch:
Go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch of various ones....
You might like a Walther PPS, a Hellcat or a Sig Sauer P 365, a Kahr (or maybe even a Glock 26) So many similar .. May be best to start with a compact 9 ymmv
( what you read here...take with ") grains of salt"

1 - 20 of 44 Posts